Disney Infinity development cost exceeds $100 million, failure could force change at company – report

Friday, 16th August 2013 12:44 GMT By Dave Cook

Disney is reported as having spent over $100 million on development of Disney Infinity, and it has been suggested that the game’s failure could force a change of the company’s videogame strategy.

A report by Wall Street Journal suggests that the $100 million figure excludes marketing costs, and a source who is said to have recently left Disney’s interactive studio called the project, a “Hail Mary [play] with a tremendous amount of pressure to be a hit.”

The report adds that the company passed up development of an Iron Man title and Star Wars games to pool its efforts on Disney Infinity, and that if Infinity fails the company will have to re-assess its videogame operations. The article suggests that Disney would then have to move to an all-licensing model, and focus purely on in-house mobile apps and online titles.

Disney Infinity drops on PC, PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii U in the US this weekend and across Europe on August 23. Time will tell if it’s a success for the company or not.

What do you think?

Via GI.biz.

1. redwood

what the fuck!!!!!.. 100 minthols? what the hell are they making man?

#1 12 months ago
  2. Biscuitpants

clearly is going to fail

#2 12 months ago
  3. Lengendaryboss

What the hell are they smoking?

#3 12 months ago
  4. tenthousandgothsonacid

Never even heard of it. What is it ?

#4 12 months ago
  5. FrayJoker

I really don’t see how this can fail. If Skylanders built a massive success off the residual popularity of Spyro, Disney is too much of a cultural institution to fail.

They probably already have crazy numbers on the toys they can sell. This is simply a chance to sell a video game to every kid with a Disney action figure and a console. Not only that, it’s a fairly strong incentive to buy even more Disney toys.

The only way this could shit more money out was if Pokemon did something similar. 100 million seems like a lot, but this is as sure a bet as pumping out the next Call of Duty game.

#5 12 months ago
  6. Lengendaryboss

Its being marketed here in the UK… for Wii U.

Its to not offend anyone a Skylanders Clone, i think.

#6 12 months ago
  7. redwood

problem here is that I don’t know what this game really is about? but i guess they are pushing it through different channels

#7 12 months ago
  8. DrDamn

Don’t think it’s aimed at many here. More the Skylanders demographic. It’s got a slew of recognisable and popular characters. It should do very well you’d think.

#8 12 months ago
  9. DUST3222

This is how little big planet should have been created lush open world.The physics in little big planet 2 was horrible it was one of those games where you play it a lot for a week then never play it again. I mean have you seen the screencaps for infinity hell if I was young I’d want to play it; though I’ll have to settle for the grownup version kingdom hearts. :D When you really think about it the character you purchase then get to use in the game are worth it. You remember buying all those hotwheels, transformers, batman, ninja turtle, pokemon, and wishing you could play in their world. I give disney props and hope they succeed as long as they don’t turn it into one of those scenarios where you can only add one character that you purchased and no others are in addition to the world or is that how this is being set up?

#9 12 months ago
  10. felixbrownSLC

@ #4 tenthousandgothsonacid

“Never even heard of it. What is it ?
    Seems like marketing fail if I’ve never even heard of it before (and I read the games news hourly)”

Maybe it’s just you……..
    Look it up, Infinity is in the top 5 best selling pre-order list of every major retailer!

#10 12 months ago
  11. TheBlackHole

It’s Skylanders with Disney characters.

#11 12 months ago
  12. bradk825

I hope it goes well for them, in the meantime this needs to be made for next-gen based on the timing if they want it to be successful.

#12 12 months ago
  13. sg1974

If it fails? If? It cost 100m! How is this ever going to make enough money to make a profit?

Shame, because it actually looks okay.

#13 12 months ago
  14. TheWulf

It can fail because you’d be surprised at how much kids prefer what Skylanders offers over this. I’ve mentioned it before but I’ll say it again — let’s give a child the choice to play a guy in spandex or a robotic dragon, which do you think they’d pick? How about a drunken pirate, or a living fireball inside an enchanted suit of armour? What then?

The fact of the matter is is that the line-up of Skylanders is way more compelling to kids, and Disney has forgotten what kids actually like. I’m hoping that a lot of their efforts fail, to be honest, because Disney has become terrible of late.

And passing up an Iron Man game? Seriously? They ignored something that would sell in favour of a Skylanders rip-off that isn’t going to do half as well?

Not to mention that everything I’ve seen thus far looks lazy — from the art assets, to the animation, to the actual implementation. It doesn’t really look that fun at all. Kids aren’t stupid, they’re going to see right through this and go back to Skylanders, which at the very least is actually fun for them, and well designed.

I suppose that’s the difference. Skylanders has had some fairly epic people working on it, if you look into the development of the games, the developers responsible know how to make quality games. The first Skylanders was by Toys for Bob, who were responsible for the likes of Star Control II, Pandemonium, Tony Hawks’ Downhill Jam, and so on.

This just looks like a cheaply thrown together sandbox.

They may get some initial sales, but beyond that I can’t really see kids taking an interest. Skylanders is the better toy, Minecraft is the better sandbox, what does this offer that they don’t?

#14 12 months ago
  15. TheWulf

Also, if Nintendo did something similar with Pokemon, that would actually work, because those are characters that kids actually like to play as. This is the point I’m making — what might make for average fun on the silver screen doesn’t actually make for a whole lot of fun to play as.

Even with the Pokemon example — offer a kid a drunken pirate or Charizard, and who do you think they’re going to pick?

I’m just amazed by the marketing stupidity of this.

#15 12 months ago
  16. felixbrownSLC

Wulf, you have no idea what you’re talking about. I get it that you have this thing against Disney, but how can you deny just how popular and recognizable Disney characters are to kids today? Why do you think Disney sells multiple millions in Cars, Pirates, and Toy Story merchandise every year? How is it possible?

Every playtest from Kotaku, IGN, N4G and others has had nothing but great things to say about it. Game Informer even listed it on their e3 hot list.

I think as a skylanders fan you’re a little more threatened by Infinity than you want to admit, but I don’t see why these two games can’t co exist, to each his own

#16 12 months ago
  17. Phil Owen

Let me just chime in here and say that while it’s almost always a bad idea to invest heavily in a copycat product, Disney Infinity is an awesome and very ambitious game.

#17 12 months ago
  18. mjrdamage

Wow, if you haven’t heard if this game, you must have been under a rock. And anyone who thinks kids won’t want it are delusional. Yeah it seems like a lot of money but it’s an open system the can run with for years

#18 12 months ago