GTA Online: Rockstar focusing on PS3 & Xbox 360 launch for now, says Benzies

Thursday, 15th August 2013 16:32 GMT By Dave Cook

GTA Online was revealed today, just in case you haven’t noticed yet, what with all of our articles and such. It’s coming to PS3 and Xbox 360 on October 1, but Rockstar North president Leslie Benzies has suggested it may come to next-gen formats down the line.

It’s a case of ‘one thing at a time really’, as Benzies told CVG, “There’s very few games like GTA Online – so we’ll play it by ear and see what the consumers want. We’ll get the current gen version out first and see what happens in the future.”

GTA Online lets players create races and deathmatches, then upload them to the cloud for all to share. it’s an increasingly popular feature in next-gen especially, to which Benzies added, “Everything’s going to the Cloud, isn’t it? It’s the future, and the boxes become less relevant. It’s more about the content. It’s more about the data than the hardware. And, yeah, whether you’re on your iPad, your iPhone, your Android or your console, to me it doesn’t matter what it is. It’s a game.”

Would you like to see GTA Online live on into next-gen formats?

Meanwhile why not check out our massive GTA Online info blast, trailer and screens through the links.

GTA 5 is out September 17 on PS3 and Xbox 360, while GTA Online launches October 1.

1. dex3108

GTA Online doesn’t have bright future on current-gen. GTA Online need to last until next GTA game and that is 2-3 years minimum. Current gen will last 1-1 and a half year. In my opinion GTA V is extremely ambitious project that could have fantastic future and expanding capabilities on next-gen and players and developers would benefit from that.

I know that R* di current gen because of install base but i still think that GTA Online cant reach full potential on this generation of consoles.

#1 1 year ago
  2. spazman

a cash cow u can only milk every 4 years – no-brainer. Question is, is it worth buying the 4 to play GTA 6 if RS have their own dedicated servers?

#2 1 year ago
  3. OnionPowder

Yes please put on PS4 next year. I will totally double dip to have GTAV at 1080p and 60 FPS on PS4 next year with the launch of some DLC.

#3 1 year ago
  4. xxJPRACERxx

Already have the game pre-order on 360 but will gladly pay again for a X1 or PS4 version!

#4 1 year ago
  5. Phoenixblight

I would definitely consider getting this on PS4 again if it does.

#5 1 year ago
  6. AlchemyFire

I would so totally get this this for PC…. no, wait

#6 1 year ago
  7. DrDamn

It’s all a bit weird how they talk about GTA V and GTA Online like they are two separate games. It is still part of GTA V isn’t it? I can see how in terms of longevity they may want to separate off the naming, and maybe even at some point sell them separately. It’s very confusing for consumers though isn’t it?

#7 1 year ago
  8. killer_walrus

I was confused while watching the trailer and they spoke about GTA Online being a living breathing world and just thinking how some of the biggest talking points with the next gen consoles, especially the Xbox One, was the cloud support to help process these worlds without burdening the consoles. If they do release on next gen, I hope they follow Battlefield and Call of Duty and feature gross generation transfer, but this is Rockstar we’re talking about. I doubt they would miss a feature like that if they moved up to the X1 and PS4.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Fin

GTA Online on NG makes more sense than GTA 5.

#9 1 year ago
  10. DeyDoDoughDontDeyDough

Actually, he says, “We’ll get the current gen version out first and see what happens in the future,” which is as good as ‘no comment’.

How you turned that into a positively stated headline that it could come to next-gen, I’m uncertain. That he failed to deny it would be a fair headline, that it ‘could come to’ next-gen is your own take on his meaning, and is simply misleading, IMO.

#10 1 year ago
  11. _LarZen_

I’m going to hold out on buying it for a long time, I want to play this with some up to date graphics on either a PC or a next-gen console.

If it has not been announced for either of those some months out in 2014 I might buy it. But there are probably so many other great games out for the next-gen consoles that I wont bother starting up my old PS3.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Hcw87

This game will most probably be better than every launch game for next gen systems, so waiting makes no sense. Especially considering how much coverage this game will get after launch, so you’re pretty much guaranteed to be spoiled in some way.

#12 1 year ago
  13. drewbles82

@11 @12 its obvious this will be better than anything next gen for at least the next year or so. I see nothing that impresses me yet and besides, takes at least a yr or 2 before the games come out that really show what next gen can do.

#13 1 year ago
  14. zinc

When I saw the screen shots for this in the official Playstation mag, I couldn’t believe how good it looks…

Still can’t to be honest. Not till its playing. Couldn’t believe it was only 2 disc’s for the 360.

I figured it’d be sold in a suitcase! The game looks massive o.0

#14 1 year ago
  15. Dave Cook

@10 wasn’t a conscious effort to bait clicks or deceive – not that you’d believe me any way. Seriously losing my mind through stress this week. I give up.

#15 1 year ago
  16. monkeygourmet

Just change your name to ‘Cave Dook’ and become an action movie star.

#16 1 year ago
  17. _LarZen_

@13 “takes at least a yr or 2 before the games come out that really show what next gen can do.”

Yeah I know, but already on day 1 games there will be significent boost on graphics with higher resolution, better animations, better fps ,more detailed textures, better view distance, dynamic light and shadows.

Just to name a few…

GTA will look great on PS3/X360 but it will be nothing close to what the PS4/XBO will deliver one day 1 games for the systems.

Not even close.

Sure GTA will be fun and look great on current gen, but don’t fool yourself. Next-gen is going to obliterate it in technical terms.

#17 1 year ago