EA raises over $18k for AIDs charities

Monday, 5th August 2013 09:27 GMT By Dave Cook

EA has helped to raise over $18,000 for AIDs charities by participating in this year’s AIDS Walk San Francisco.

GI.biz reports that 89 staffers from EA’s San Francisco base took part in the sponsored walk and raised $18,085 of their $25,000 goal, with donations still being made at the time of writing.

The overall proceeds from the event will be spread across over 50 AIDs foundations, including the San Francisco AIDS Foundation.

1. Crussong

Incoming “they-just-did-it-for-good-PR”-comments.. Hopefully i’m wrong :)
    They did good. Congrats to the EA-Staff members for this.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Dave Cook

@1 Yeah it’s good :)

#2 1 year ago
  3. Dragon246

@1,2
    Nope. Big companies cant do anything right.
    Its just that EA participated in-
    Fund raisers
    Gay rights
    Equality for women
    And so on…
    Still, they are the “worst” company because of an unpopular Mass Effect ending. OH THE INTERNETZ…..

#3 1 year ago
  4. sh4dow

No they are the “worst” company for:
    -) opening a store with questionable terms & policies
    -) milking franchises to the death
    -) having awful working conditions (last I checked, they were known for low wages and a lot of hire & fire)
    -) and I’m sure that if I would check, I’d also find a lot of whining about piracy and draconian DRM measures while their CEOs make millions every year

You have to be really naive to look at a big company spending 0,0001% of their earnings on a good cause and go “This is so awesome!”.
    But then again… at least the US also manages to keep its two party system and to get people excited over whatever puppet is leading the country next. So… it’s not really much of a surprise. What bothers me is when there is not even a SPARK of critical thinking in peoples’ minds left, so that they actually say things like “Big companies cant do anything right”.

Here’s another sweet, sweet company you should really support because of their extraordinary humanitarian spirit.

#4 1 year ago
  5. sh4dow

Oh… and EA also initially supported SOPA.

#5 1 year ago
  6. sebastien rivas

Hell yeah!

Though I would assume you can add a few more 0 after the comma
    … a big company spending 0,0001% …

I forgot to mention that some of these nasty practices have been going on for a good decade already.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Dendroball

@4 Regarding EA having awful working conditions, just look at this link: http://www.gamespot.com/news/ea-named-bay-area-top-workplace-for-2013-6410461

It was true in the past EA had some bad working practices but they greatly improved thus the results of this survey. As far as I know, restructurations or lay off are hardly an only EA thing, I thought everybody knew that was pretty (sadly) common in this industry.

And last but not least, the store you’re mentioning, I suppose it’s Origin, they changed the problematic policies and no one is spied on as far as I know.

#7 1 year ago
  8. sebastien rivas

@ 7

Thanks a bunch, I was not aware of Origin change of policies.

#8 1 year ago
  9. sh4dow

Why would you imply that being common is an acceptable excuse?
    Because you say “I thought everybody knew that was pretty (sadly) common in this industry”. Of course I knew about it. And as you say… “sadly”. I say that it’s bullshit. ;)

And even if a company teeth-clenchingly improves working conditions because of a bad reputation (whether that is or is not the case, I’m not sure about. Because I know the mentality of many people in the industry and even if a survey is anonymous, I doubt that all would answer honestly because some might be afraid that their employer might face issues because of the bad PR and so in turn, they will be affected. I once participated in a big discussion at a large company where one guy actually argued that bad PR had already caused the company to lose some projects. And so we should all think hard about whether we really want to speak openly about what is going on internally in public…), I wouldn’t consider it to be great. Because a decent company doesn’t offer good working conditions because it HAS to but because it considers the well-being of its employees to be more important than squeezing out every last bit of profit.

And I wonder… that’s EA in California. Where did the original complaints come from? And what about EA Shanghai, EA India or EA Russia? Again… at least my experiences with international companies have shown that things can vary drastically depending on the location.

To get back to the survey one more time… maybe it is legit. As I said, I’m merely suspicious. What would make it more helpful would be if one could see the survey results across ten years or so. Then you would see whether there was actual improvement or whether people have always given positive responses and EA maybe just didn’t make the top list by a narrow margin.

As for the Origin policies: Yet another case of “too little too late”. People forgive too easily. Especially when it comes to companies. Would you e.g. forgive an acquaintance who installed spy cameras in your apartment but you found them? And he argues “Well, if I am to visit your place more often – I don’t know what the hell you’re going to do. I want to have proof if you steal my wallet or something. Alright, maybe that was a little over the top”. That would probably have to be one damn hot chick. And even then…

#9 1 year ago