Xbox Live program manager details how new reputation system outs “cheats and jerks”

Wednesday, 31st July 2013 21:51 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Xbox Live program manager Micheal Dunn has detailed how the new reputation system will work a bit more, stating that the new system will no longer be a play for cheats or jerks to run wild.

Speaking on Xbox Wire, Dunn said his team has been working hard on a community-powered reputation system which will help filter out people you don’t want to play with.

“No question that Xbox Live is a distinct community of passionate gamers,” he said. “We love that. But just like in life, there are all types of people – some shy, some polite, some aggressive, some snarky, some annoying and some that can’t avoid swearing at #$%^ happens to them.

“Most Xbox Live players are polite online and know how to socially adjust to people they’re playing with. But not everyone does this. And, it can be challenging to pick up on social cues when you are connected online and not face-to-face in the same room.

“With the new community-powered reputation model for Xbox One, we want to help you avoid the players you don’t want to play with. If you don’t want to play with cheats or jerks, you shouldn’t have to. Our new reputation model helps expose people that aren’t fun to be around and creates real consequences for trouble-makers that harass our good players.”

One of the ways the team is going about it is by simplifying the mechanism for Xbox One: moving from a survey option to more direct feedback, including things like “block” or “mute player” actions into the feedback model.

“The new model will take all of the feedback from a player’s online flow, put it in the system with a crazy algorithm we created and validated with an MSR PhD to make sure things are fair for everyone,” Dunn explained. “Ultimately, your reputation score will determine which category you are assigned: ‘Green = Good Player,’ ‘Yellow = Needs Improvement’ or ‘Red = Avoid Me.’

“Looking at someone’s gamer card you’ll be able to quickly see their reputation. And, your reputation score is ultimately up to you. The more hours you play online without being a jerk, the better your reputation will be. Most players will have good reputations and be seen as a ‘Good Player’. The algorithm is looking to identify players that are repeatedly disruptive on Xbox Live.

“We’ll identify those players with a lower reputation score and in the worse cases they will earn the ‘Avoid Me’ reputation. Before a player ends up with the ‘Avoid Me’ reputation level we will have sent many different alerts to the ‘Needs Improvement’ player reminding them how their social gaming conduct is affecting lots of other gamers.”

Dunn said the algorithm is “sophisticated” and won’t penalize you for a few bad reports, as even “good” players might receive a few player feedback reports each month. The algorithm weighs the data collected so if a dozen people are reporting a single user, the system will look at a variety of factors before docking their reputation.

“We’ll verify if those people actually played in an online game with the person reported – if not, all of those player’s feedback won’t matter as much as a single person who spent 15 minutes playing with the reported person,” he continued. “The system also looks at the reputation of the person reporting and the alleged offender, frequency of reports from a single user and a number of other factors.”

Dunn said the system will continue to evolve and get better as more feedback is received and tracked, and Microsoft will also add “more consequences for the jerks.”

“Of course, the system will be as good as you make it, so all you need to do is report the players that are abusive, cheating or causing mayhem and their reputation will reflect that,” he concluded.

Xbox One is due o shelves sometime this November.

1. Kieran

i can see call of duty being an easy way to get bad reputation weather you play fair or not !!!

#1 1 year ago
  2. MadFlavour

Isn’t this what the old rep system was supposed to do… and just didn’t.

Why should we believe you this time Micro$hit?

#2 1 year ago
  3. Lengendaryboss

Because we have no one else to believe but the makers themselves.

Its not what you have to believe but the only thing to believe ATM.

If that makes sense.

#3 1 year ago
  4. noamlol2

LAIRS!!!

check this out, i posted a post on xbox live message boards that i caught a modder and even got him to admit it and they did nothing about it

also here’s a reply from a guy who got the official reply from the enforcement team:

Replied to by KWALKM

Hi Everyone,

I noticed my posts were removed on all these forums. You need to read this carefully as this is the official stance from the Enforcement Team regarding the Xbox Code of Conduct in reference to cheaters and Modders.

I reached out to the Edelman Group that handle Public Relations for Xbox because no one in customer care or enforcement would answer my questions or help me. I was contacted by a Customer Care Advocate who spoke directly with the Enforcement Team regarding my issue. You see I, as well as many many others, have griped about the endless hacking and modding of Dark Souls and many other games. We follow the process of the online complaint system and yet this players are still playing, still cheating. I even had a message from one of the modders admitting to modding and cheating. He directly said Xbox does nothing about it and I could go EFF myself.

When I finally received a call back I was shocked at the outcome. Once again this is the Official word from the Enforcement Team.

” We know and are aware of the modds and cheaters in Dark Souls and will not and cannot do anything about it. If this player, me, has an issue they need to the take it up with the developer.”

Seriously, this is the official stance.

And for all you Ambassadors that keeps lying to us telling us that Xbox looks at every complaint immediately you are wrong. They had not even looked at my complaint until at least 5 days after I logged it. Now I noticed all of my posts have been pulled. How corporate of you.

So anyone who wants to have the direct number and extension for the Customer Care Advocate who can contact Enforcement. Message me and I will send it to you.

Final word is this…

Per Enforcement they “WILL NOT BAN ANYONE FOR HAVING ANY MODS”.

That being said ask every modder you come across to throw you some Modded equipment. We all need to use as many hacked weapons and armor as can be made.

There obviously is no enforcement of the COC so let’s mod away. The cheaters had it right all along and Xbox doesn’t care. Xbox promotes bullying and cheating so the only way to keep the playing field even is by carrying hacked equipment.

So be proud you pay for a yearly subscription that allows cheaters to rule. Be proud you subscribe to a company that puts profits first gamers second

Once again this was the Official word from Enforcement. This was their Official stance. This is Enforcement in telling all legit players to get bent. We pay a fee to plat but if we have an issue take it to the developer or shut up.

Long live the Code of Conduct. Long live Enforcement and whatever it is they do. We should all be so lucky to have their job as they do such a great job always improving the gaming experience and our community.

My apologies to all modders everywhere. You are the favored ones and I hope you drop me some equipment when you see me online. It is not cheating per Enforcement and I am sorry I ever griped about it

Anyone have modded giant armor and dragon spear I can have?

#4 1 year ago
  5. fengato

Matchmaking should be based solely on connection quality. If I need to avoid an annoying person, it’s very easy to get into another game. Problem is that butthurt competitors who don’t like to lose (fair and square) neg regardless.

#5 1 year ago
  6. FeaturePreacher

Annoying people can never be purged from a system unless at some point system level bans are made. I.E. the entire console will be banned after someone makes enough accounts when trying to troll.

#6 1 year ago
  7. LV426

I don’t see how this is going to work well. After I eventually got Xbox Live, I didn’t even have a headset for over a year and when I checked my rep it said 37% of people avoided me because of my language. How the hell am I being avoided for language when NO ONE CAN EVEN HEAR ME TALKING!!!!!!!! I’m going to be being avoided by people for the wrong reasons and put into lobbies with a bunch of trolling assholes and jerk offs.

#7 1 year ago
  8. bradk825

@4 modders in CoD are banned by the dev, why should Dark Souls be any different? MS can’t ban you from one game, only from the entire service. I complained to 3arc about a booster and the guy got a temp ban and his stats reset. Go talk to Dark Souls. If they can’t manage their own games, stop buying their games.

#8 1 year ago