Xbox One Kinect 10x more powerful than 360′s – Rare

Wednesday, 24th July 2013 08:40 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One’s enhanced Kinect bar is ten times more powerful than the current Xbox 360 model, according to Rare’s Nick Burton.

This Xbox Wire post summed up some of Microsoft’s key quotes from Comic-Con at the weekend, including some choice snippets from Burton.

We reported on the meat of Microsoft’s Comic-Con panel here, but the blog post adds that Burton said the Xbox One Kinect is ten times more powerful than the current model, and is capable of tracking a finger-tip three metres away.

The post also adds that in Rare’s Xbox One debut ‘Kinect Sports Rivals’, the device will even be able to measure how forcefully you turn your wrist when applying throttle in jet-ski events, and it will also track exact hand placement when engaging in a spot of rock-climbing.

We’re yet to see a direct spec comparison between the current Kinect and the Xbox One model, but we’re sure it’ll creep out of the internet’s pores at some point.

Right now though, what do you think?

Thanks IGN.

1. gomersoul

still a gimmick that is eerie to have watching you. I think ps move is a gimmick too before the fanboy daggers come my way, I bought it, never use it.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Bomba Luigi

Everything I hear about Kinect is scary, and nothing sounds like its usefull for playing a damn Game. Buttons and Sticks are just better to controll 99% of the Games.

I guess its good for Dancing Games and stuff. Which is a good Thing, because there are People who like that kind of stuff, and they should get what they want. But I don’t see why I should pay for that Thing when I have no use at all for it, which lead me to the Conclusion that I don’t buy an Xbox when I have to Buy Kinect too.

#2 1 year ago
  3. KAP

I think motion controls as a whole is simply not there yet tech wise. I’ll give it until another generation for a true actual leap. Even then I’m still sceptical.

I think Sony should take the fork in the road and focus of Oculus Rift support for there PS4.

That’ll surly put a spanner in the works for MS

#3 1 year ago
  4. orakaa

“Xbox One Kinect is 10x more powerful than predecessor” … because of the power of the cloud, you know :)

More seriously, it’s no use to have a device “more precise” or “more powerful” as the main flaw in it is that the player/user has ZERO feedback on his input. No force resistance, no vibration, nothing. So, because of that, even if the device is “precise”, the user can’t. The first Kinect proved that. You need buttons, you need a directional cross or stick.
    Innovation is good, but this is going backwards.
    The only kind of game for which Kinect really works well is dancing games.

Man, I miss the time when RARE was a company doing quality games. Since then all talents seem to have left :(

#4 1 year ago
  5. Major Mayhem 70

Can’t wait to see what this thing can do or not do cause it hasn’t been proven yet. If it works as well as they say it does, it would be hard for developers not to implement it in their games. It doesn’t have to be major implementation just little things to make the game play more interesting.

#5 1 year ago
  6. ShakaCarnage

@3 Oculus Rift is cool, and I should know, I’ve used one. It’s pretty impressive.

But it won’t sell like a true mainstream electronic device. Why? Because it won’t be cheap enough, and the majority of buyers will be PC owners. Xbox One and PS4 will support it, but much like 3D, it’ll be support, rather than designed for games. Only then (and with budget) would it really be something to make waves.

Indie game support won’t nearly be enough.

#6 1 year ago
  7. DeyDoDoughDontDeyDough

“is capable of tracking a finger-tip three metres away”

And yet nobody, still, is offering a single reason why this is useful. Beware the dangers of obfuscating soundbites.

#7 1 year ago
  8. melonbuster1

Damn so much hate for people who are not buying the system. . I am and I can’t wait for the great things to come. . I have kinect and my kids and wife love it. I play the dance games too. They fixed my major problems I had with it. So now it’s just about the games. Now its in every box. So thats a plus. Im so up for all the new fun things that are sure to come

#8 1 year ago
  9. xxJPRACERxx

Not a fan of Kinect on 360 because it is a gimmick. But now, I’m honestly very excited. I’m not excited about full Kinect games like sports games and dance games, etc… but how the devs will be able to find new ways to implement it in core games. The games will still be mainly controlled by the controller, Kinect will just offers more options/immersion possibilities.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Psychotext

Have seen a few vids on the tech and it’s seriously impressive… though it remains to be seen how useful it’ll end up being for normal games.

#10 1 year ago
  11. M. K.

Now it can observe you 10 times better than before! Yay! Give me already a non kinect bundle…

#11 1 year ago
  12. xBASSxMONSTAx

It is seriously impressive. The NSA are gonna love it.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Irani

Kinect > 10x PS EYE

#13 1 year ago
  14. stretch215

Man, my kids would never forgive me if I didn’t get an xbx1. They are completely infatuated with the kinect and I’m really looking forward to seeing what kind of experiences kinect2 will bring to the table.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Rikki

Good news for the NSA.

#15 1 year ago
  16. MrWaffles

I was too impressed by the technology behind kinect2, but the fact that Microsoft is forcing into your living room kills that feeling.

Either make it optional, launch a CorePack for couch gamers without that shit.

Let me turn it off (or put a sombrero on it without the Xbox shutting down).

I bet I’m not the only one who loves to game in the nude, and having Kinect2 analysing my nuts 300x/second from 6 feet away is just weird.

-Waffles

#16 1 year ago
  17. stretch215

@16 too much info lol :D

#17 1 year ago
  18. OlderGamer

If I was MS, or in their camp, I don’t think I would speak the word Kinect in a public capacity. Just no way to spin it positively. I am sure that some folks like Kinect, but that % has to be low when it comes to the informed gamers that comb the news/games sites for game interviews/articles.

Every time I read someone talking up Kinect, I just roll my eyes.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Lengendaryboss

#19 1 year ago
  20. OnionPowder

Great way to fuck gamers over. If you don’t want Kinect then you get a smaller HDD. Considering almost every game next gen seems like they’re going to have huge installs we’re going to need as much space as possible. A 250GB (or whatever they choose) HDD just won’t cut it. Then if you want to upgrade you can buy an HDD from Microsoft because they force us to use their proprietary HDDs that they overprice to hell.

Over at the PS4 camp I can just buy a cheap HDD on a tech website and install myself from day 1. Just a quick search on Newegg I was able to find a 1TB HDD for $80. You’ll probably be able to get an even better deal depending on the Black Friday sales in November.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Cobra951

3 meters? Fine. How about tracking a fingertip a half a meter away? If it can’t do that, I can’t use it. I sit close to my monitor for gaming, regardless of whether it’s PC or console (same screen and desk). I still haven’t seen anyone boasting about how much better the new Kinect works *up close*, and that concerns me.

@4: Good post. I miss the old Rare too.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Fin

Why isn’t it a billion times more powerful, cos of the cloud?

#22 1 year ago
  23. fearmonkey

Sell me a Kinect less system please MS, I have no interest in your Spybox.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Pytox

@21 up close and personal with the kinect lol

#24 1 year ago
  25. Audacityscape

@20, why would you buy a PS4 and then immediately replace the hard drive? What’s the point?? Why wouldn’t you expand on the 500GBs they give you, instead of tossing it out and getting a newer bigger drive for an additional cost?

#25 1 year ago
  26. Audacityscape

Kinect + Occulus rift. Imagine raising your hands up and seeing them in virtual reality. Anyone who doesn’t see how this could be a huge leap forward is crazy.

As for those saying “controllers are better”, no one said you can’t use controllers with Kinect. You can, of course.

#26 1 year ago
  27. Kreion

…you do know that the Xbox One supports external hard drives as an expansion, and just to piss you off, that was announced for it before it was announced for the Ps4. Plus the Xbox One’s Hdd is 500gb (same as the PS4′s) so I really don’t know where you’re going with this argument…

And of course next-gen games will have huge installs, how else do you think you’re going to a lot of content?! Do you think game quality rises as the space taken up decreases? Man…

That would be cool xD I don’t know it it would be possible though…still tech advances always produce interesting results for someone!

#27 1 year ago