Xbox One petition calls for restoration of family sharing, other digital rights

Wednesday, 10th July 2013 10:25 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One’s family sharing options were nuked after Microsoft’s policy u-turn on DRM and 24-hour authentication. Now, a gamer has set up a petition to see the console’s sharing options restored.

OXM reports that the petition was founded by gamer David Fontenot. You can find it here on Change.org.

The petition’s statement reads, “This was to be the future of entertainment; A new wave of gaming where you could buy games digitally, then trade, share or sell those digital licenses.

“Essentially, it was Steam for Xbox. But consumers were uninformed, and railed against it, and it was taken away because Sony took advantage of consumer uncertainty. We want this back. It can’t be all or nothing, there must be a compromise.”

What do you make of the above? Is this a case of rattle-hurling, or should Microsoft re-instate sharing functions? Let us know what you think below?

1. For Blood

Does this guy realize it was the sharing of full games, but with a time limit essentially making it only a demo?

#1 1 year ago
  2. Aullah

This is sooo pathetic… stupid console gamers CRYED TO GET THE OLD SYSTEM BACK. THEY GOT IT BACK. Now they want this too? eff them I say.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Bam007

@1 there was no timed demo. It was rumoured because some guy on NeoGAF claimed it was timed, but an Xbox representative came out and said it wasn’t timed.

I signed the petition, but how far will it go? Looks like ps3fanboy has gathered his Sony buddies and bombarded the petition with dumb-shit comments.

#3 1 year ago
  4. redwood

^ that’s the most well hidden secret Microsoft has ever hidden. very few people know about that.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Useful Pseudonym

Microsoft are digging holes and we are forcing them with this sort of bull shit, leave it as it is because the DRM thing has ruined what they wanted for next gen.

#5 1 year ago
  6. DeyDoDoughDontDeyDough

Can we bring back apartheid too?

#6 1 year ago
  7. FrayJoker

Absolutely not without some compromise on offline gaming, and some assurance as to game availability after the console’s life.

Really simple, if you have the disc in the tray, you shouldn’t need to go online to play single player. It pretty much fixes both problems I have with the console.

I’d also rather it exist without region locking, that’s a real dick move to Australian gamers, not just on price, but availability as well.

Even if they did a terrible job of explaining the advantages of their system, as it existed they needed to make some adjustments and compromises.

#7 1 year ago
  8. For Blood

Oh and one more thing about digital games, they will never be cheaper. As we saw with EA they can jack up the prices at a whim on whatever boogeyman is haunting the game market. Just look at the overpriced mess the games are on Xbox Live. Mark my words, all digital will be the downfall of consoles.

#8 1 year ago
  9. xactarma

@3 it has to be timed demo because the whole point of it being digital is so that companies could make money of the whole “used” game thing was about xbox and publishers not making money off of games sold at gamestop, and that less people would buy these games, so why would they then have family sharing let 9 other people play the game without buying it thats selling 1 game for every 10 people that doesnt sound like solid business, so it has to be a timed demo otherwise there whole argument for the DRM in the begining is meaningless not to mention a big snub to the companies the DRM was supposed to be helping

#9 1 year ago
  10. For Blood

Hasn’t almost every rumor about the Xbox180 been true or true to some extent? Always online-partially true, forced install-true, always watching kinect-true. See where I’m going here?

#10 1 year ago
  11. Bam007

#10, no I don’t see where you’re going. What is this “always watching Kinect” you speak of?

I have had Kinect plugged into my Xbox 360 for over 2 years and not once do I recall being sent advertisements based on what I was talking about or what the device could of heard.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Aullah

@11 You stupid or what? We talk about the xbone. It will always listen.

#12 1 year ago
  13. For Blood

I was talking about the Xbone, not the 360. See people skirt the real issue when provided with great evidence that can’t be argued against. True liberal fashion for you there.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Clupula

@11 – Man, I’d hate to be standing behind you when the point goes rushing over your head.

#14 1 year ago
  15. actuallyisnotafox

I can see a lot of people promoting this and microsft do, people will once again talk about a u-turn, and if they dont, theyll just get more sh*t for it :p

#15 1 year ago
  16. Ge0force

“Essentially, it was Steam for Xbox.”

No it wasn’t.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Fin

Petitions are fucking stupid.

“WE FUCKING HATE THIS MICROSOFT, CHANGE IT CHANGE IT CHANGE IT”
    [three weeks]
    “WE WANT IT BACK”

Heh, the comments on the petition are brilliant.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Logion

I wish there was an easier way of letting gamers show what they want and don’t want. I think Microsoft are a bit annoyed by this since family sharing was one of their main arguments why their console had to be always online. That and cloud sharing.

#18 1 year ago
  19. super3001

petition signed. stupid people made us lose family sharing with kneejerk complain.

stupid people want tied to optical disc. digital is the future. disc is dead fact.

#19 1 year ago
  20. For Blood

Super3001 didn’t get the memo about the sharing being a timed demo.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Lahanas

The initial plans for Xbox One were infinitely better than the current ones. Digital is the future and game creators deserve to be rewarded for every person that plays their games.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Djoenz

Disc is not dead THATS a fact , yours is just a retarded opinion. I dont support all digital. Some games are worth collecting.

Those tht think digital games will be cheaper guess again.

#22 1 year ago
  23. redwood

majorNelson just replied on that thread.. (or someone mimicking him)

#23 1 year ago
  24. super3001

if you too stupid to understand then shut up.

I.e. shut up

#24 1 year ago
  25. DrDamn

I liked the set-up but it did lack some clarity. Family sharing was a great idea, why weren’t they shouting it from the rooftops rather than it being a bullet point in an online FAQ. Why didn’t they keep it for digital purchases?

They should have found a better compromise. As suggested above no online connection required if you have the disc in the tray for example.

There were some good advantages to the previous approach. They should have tried to keep those whilst listening to the concerns.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Djoenz

Mirror?
    If people wanted all digital Microsoft would never have Uturned and kept focusing on DRM and 24 check ups. Wake up and smell the coffee you lost individual.

#26 1 year ago
  27. For Blood

if you too stupid to understand then shut up.

I hate to tell you this, but “you” should be “you’re”. What makes me stupid? Pointing out the flaws of the Xbone? Please explain this for me.

#27 1 year ago
  28. Clupula

@27 – He’s just a worthless troll who had already been banned once, which is saying something, considering how hard it is to get someone banned on this site.

Pay him no attention.

#28 1 year ago
  29. xactarma

@22 i never said disc was dead…i just explained why the family sharing wouldnt make sense unless it was timed…

#29 1 year ago
  30. freedoms_stain

It won’t happen, then they’d have to own up to the terms and conditions of the scheme and it won’t be the nirvana that over-excited MS fanboys desperate to mine an ounce of positivity out of the XB1 assumed it was.

#30 1 year ago
  31. Djoenz

That was mentioned towards 19 I forgot the 1 my bad. Your argument was solid btw.

#31 1 year ago
  32. For Blood

I pay attention to everyone, especially “gifted” people like him. We can’t give up on the less educated.

#32 1 year ago
  33. ps3fanboy

xbots petitioning to bring back the restrictions, that hinder their gaming experience, LMFAO!!!1… these xbots have gone FULL RETARD, who would have thought that would happen???. but when your as thick in the head as these xbots, anything can happen i guess.

#33 1 year ago
  34. Lengendaryboss

Oh just great i wake up in the morning to find that some people want this back. Xbox fans didn’t want this now just because there were no advantages and now when there were rumoured advantages they found out they lost they make a U-turn on their decisions.

#34 1 year ago
  35. Bam007

SOME settings, not all. If only people actually read and tried to understand what was going on before commenting…

Also, #33, it’s you’re, not your. Speaking of full retard…

#35 1 year ago
  36. For Blood

Hate to break it to you, but correcting grammar and spelling is my schtick.

#36 1 year ago
  37. Djoenz

If Im not mistaken:

Games could be shared and played simultaneously with 1 person classified as “family member” on the same account.
    The other 9 not simultaneously. You would need to share your account either way.

They disregarded this feature and I can understand why people would be upset.

#37 1 year ago
  38. LordDjinn

Very interesting, the always online and online check in was for the sharing, and only the person that could log in to your account could play the game without interruption. if he wanted to play the game he could install it and enjoy it for awhile, and if he liked it he could purchase the full game without the disc, the sharing was very clear. it is not the future.

All digital sucks, its good for indie guys because of whole physical distribution costs, and look at it this way, games online cost almost if not the same as their physical copy, and the only reason i can think of that is okay for disc based games to cost what they do is because of distribution, theres almost no cost to get the digital version distributed.

#38 1 year ago
  39. karma

Lol. Dumbest petition I ever saw.

This guy has zero clue about Microsoft’s true intentions, which anyone who has been watching their behaviour, cautiously over the past 7-8 years can piece together what motivates them, they only ever cared about gamers when they needed to draw them to the xbox platform. Once they had them, they started looking elsewhere, the casuals, non-gamers etc, and forgot all about their core gaming audience thinking they were hooked. Not saying Sony or anyone else is any different mind you, but MS does not understand the core gaming audience, in that they are not blind sheep.

The whole reason for the overzealous 24h DRM was to trash the used games market, to take away consumer rights and stop us owning the software that we buy.
    The sharing feature was touted as a replacement, but I call bullshit, since the way it was hazely described would be even worse for publishers than used games are, which obviously MS would never do, so there had to be hidden small print that made it far more restrictive than they implied it would be.(Timed demos? Gold+ Subscribers only?) MS were always good at making promises and then not delivering on them. Everything from free xbox live MP gaming to kinect functionality. Family sharing was just another promise they would never fully deliver on.

And thats what the ill-advised minority of E3 xbox1 supporters cant seem to grasp, that MS would absolutely shaft them if they could. Its nothing personal, they are just in the business of making money, by any means necessary. But that doesn’t mean they are driving the future of entertainment. Far from it.

#39 1 year ago
  40. xactarma

lol you had me worried for a moment that i was really tore up last night and wrote something stupid thinking i made a good point in my head (not the first time that has happened to me)

I personally prefer discs and only buy digital when its either on sale or a pc game that i am really excited about, and i only buy digital for consoles if its a rally really good sale because there is not much point since the load times are exactly the same as the disk, oh yea and of course the free games for PS plus but well thats free so is not relevant to this thread really

#40 1 year ago
  41. Lloytron

There are pros and cons to both disk based or digital only approaches. The ideal would be to enable both so you could opt in if you chose to. Personally I don’t give a monkeys if my box phoned home every 24 hours although I understand why others might.

I like diskless games (game switching is so much easier when you don’t need to keep disks hanging around) but also I don’t like paying full price for digital downloads. A middle ground would be nice.

To be honest they should have gone for the full DRM solution but allowed you to opt out.

#41 1 year ago
  42. _LarZen_

Petition signed! I want a console experience like I have on my PC. This is what I am used to and Microsoft had plans to expand and make it even better.

#42 1 year ago
  43. For Blood

Why bother even having a console then? The best thing is the differences. If they are the same what is the point in having both?

#43 1 year ago
  44. Silent Killer01

tweet it to major nelson

#44 1 year ago
  45. _LarZen_

#43

I should probably have made it clearer. What I meant is that I am used to DRM og digital ownership after many years as a PC user. I like having my games on Steam and I almost don’t have any physical games anymore.

I would like to be encouraged to buy digital but with more possibilities as MS had plans on having. The possibility to sell or trade a digital license is something I really like.

And the “family” sharing feature I would love.

So I would like to have DRM free games on discs like we have had before, but I would like that MS went forth with the DRM vision they had on digital content.

#45 1 year ago
  46. FeaturePreacher

Might be nice to see Microsoft do another 180 just to watch the pre-order numbers go down again.

#46 1 year ago
  47. For Blood

You do realize digital will never be cheaper right? EA proved it by jacking up the prices on Origin. All companies have to do is give a false reason as to why the prices are going up or staying the same. Also with digital they can yank your ability to play a game for no reason. With physical you never have these possible outcomes. Let me compare digital and physical games to something. Physical games are like a girlfriend you get to hold and do whatever with. Digital is like a girlfriend online, one you can talk to and see, but never truly enjoy.

#47 1 year ago
  48. For Blood

Crap, meant @45.

#48 1 year ago
  49. ps3fanboy

_LarZen_ = gone full retard!

#49 1 year ago
  50. Xbox Shun

Time to make XboxUn-Shun then…

#50 1 year ago
  51. _LarZen_

#47

I realize that, but as some gaming sites have been writing about is that developers/publishers will probably in a more degree then before. Try to make people buy digital.

The hundreds of games I have on Steam I can lose at any time. But as it is a big company (now anyways) I have no worries about it. Same can be said about Microsoft I think.

#51 1 year ago
  52. _LarZen_

#49

Grow up, move out of your mothers house. Get a job, a girlfriend and basically get a life.

Then look back at your life as a keyboard warrior and laugh about it.

#52 1 year ago
  53. For Blood

Oh I don’t think it would occur on Steam, but with M$ it would. These are the people that made Windows 8 function like a tablet for a desktop. I do not trust M$ after the Xbone debacle. You know the saying fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

#53 1 year ago
  54. Phoenixblight

“With giving you get some more if you go digital over a disc. Free items in a game, DLC and so on.”

Won’t happen as retail is still the dragon’s share of sold and retailers like Gamestop, Walmart, Best Buy won’t stock items on their shelf if the digital version is clearly better with DLC, price or what have you.

#54 1 year ago
  55. ps3fanboy

the ones with 3 braincell or less is a lost cause already(like _LarZen_), but maybe AlphaOmegaSin can talk some sense into the rest of you…

watch…

#55 1 year ago
  56. The_Red

Do people REALLY think MS was gonna let you share the game amongst that many people? Sure, they said they were gonna AFTER cancelling it so we must believe them!

Seriously, these are the same people that were trying to fight second hand games. How on earth could someone be so naive to think the fabled “Family Sharing” was really gonna be that and not some glorified demo (I know MS said it wasn’t but come on. It takes phenomenal amount of nativity to think that was the case).

#56 1 year ago
  57. bradk825

@54 Publishers and studios do want things to go more digital though. I do think they will provide some incentive this time around to go digital. You can tell MS is wanting to go that direction because they tried to go half-way there with the DRM (Might have been better received if they went all the way really). I don’t think Bungie, IW etc care if best-buy stocks their games if people are buying them online anyway.

I am thinking there will soon be more competition between digital and disc. DLC and price bonuses vs higher trade value given at the store (the current trade values they give you suck).

#57 1 year ago
  58. Phoenixblight

You have a hard time understanding. Best BUy, Gamestop, Walmart and other retailers will not stock the game if the publisher or developer put the digital version of the game at a much lower price point or is clearly the best version. Since a large majority of games sold for consoles are still going through retail, publishers and developers have to listen otherwise they bite the hand that feeds.

#58 1 year ago
  59. bradk825

They’ll still stock it. Those who want to buy games on disc and are against digital download will pay the extra 10 bucks or lose the DLC for the ownership of the physical disc because many people still feel there’s extra value in having a hard copy. The retailers know that and they’ll put it on the shelf. They aren’t going to give up revenue to take a stand against digital downloads, they’ll sell whatever they can. I can still buy CDs at Wal-Mart if I want to.

Yes, they need the retail sales but they won’t ever lose those until they don’t need them anymore. Nobody’s going to refuse to sell the game just because there is a competitive element added. If that type of thing were true there would be no restaurants in the same town as a grocery store.

#59 1 year ago
  60. Phoenixblight

“were true there would be no restaurants in the same town as a grocery store.”

Uh huh. Way to go in pointing out you don’t understand anything. Horrible analogy.

#60 1 year ago
  61. bradk825

Funny that you think adding perks to incent people to buy digital would cause retailers to give up revenue by refusing to sell games, and I am the one who doesn’t understand anything.

Also if you could try to have an argument based on the merits of your opinion instead of just calling someone stupid and dismissing them that would be much appreciated. I see your point that they need to avoid completely alienating retailers, but historical evidence shows that simply offering a cheaper price for digital content over disc-based does not cause retailers to refuse to sell your product.

#61 1 year ago
  62. Phoenixblight

“Do you deny that CDs are still available for purchase? That proves it right there, without even going any further.”

No but you go to Best Buy or Walmart and you would see their selection is pretty shitty compared to 10 years ago.

“Not only does music and movies prove this, so goes gaming. I’ve recently been to Walmart and I saw several PC titles on the shelf that are also available on Steam.”

Yeah except when its the release both games will be the same price. Developers have already confirmed that retailers like Gamestop are the reason why they can’t drop the price of games because it would be clearly point which would be better. Consumers go for what is cheaper and convenient. Gamestop and other big chain stores will not allow for it especially since 70%+ of units sold on games is physical. They will not step on the toes of retailers when developers and publishers need these stores to shift units.

They may not remove the item from the shelf but they will limit them in order for the publisher/developer to not make any money. Its just like when Xbox One was announced with all its “features” Gamestop was handing out fliers explaining why it was bad.

#62 1 year ago
  63. bradk825

The problem with that is they would also limit their own money. If a retailer thinks they can sell 100, they won’t stock 50 just to “stick it to the man.” They will look out for number one and sell as many as they can until the day they can’t. yes, the music selection is bad, but that’s after years and years of it, past the point where customers now accept digital as a better buying option and they don’t need the retailers anymore.

Gaming and literature is now moving in the same direction as music and movies in distribution. It won’t happen all at once and they won’t be offering huge price drops, but in order to get gamers to accept downloaded games the way we accept our music, movies and novels in the same way they may offer a special camo, a bonus map, a discount on the season pass or a day-early release to us, maybe a small discount on the game itself but not enough to cause retailers to shit a brick.

I agree they need to avoid pissing off the retailers, but I still think they will do a thing or two to get people to accept digital download as a valid means of buying games. I have every expectation that in the next console generation games on disc will be as rare as albums on CD. Every author wants to cut out the retailer from their book sales, every studio wants their movies downloaded (not from Pirate Bay though, lol) and every record label wants to sell their stuff on itunes. They will eventually get what they want and they’ll come up with ways to make it happen. Recently Dean Koontz even release a series of mini-novels tying in to his most popular series and sold them ONLY on epub format, no paper whatsoever.

Yes Gamestop was telling people about DRM, but they also let me walk in there and pre-order the XB1 on day one and didn’t give me any shit over it. As pissed as they were, they still wanted my money.

I see where you are coming from though, because the reality is the retailers do have a certain amount of ability to pressure them. You have to believe Gamestop etc railing against DRM had an impact. You know they have the option of who the promote and who they don’t, and you don’t piss them off and give up free advertising when Gamestop promotes your game for you. Whatever they do to add value to digital has to be properly and carefully done to avoid shooting themselves in the foot.

On the flip side. Gamestop and the like have done their fair share to piss off publishers as well. CLiffy B wrote about going to a Gamestop to promote Gears Judgment, getting out of his car and seeing a sign that you could max your trade value if you trade gears back in within the month… The game hadn’t even been released yet, and he was pretty ticked about it. Basically they game wasn’t even out and they were already trying to resell used copies and take money out of his pocket as soon as possible. As much as retailers have some ability to pressure, so do developers, and they wants discless to become a reality. The console makers are stuck between them trying to please both and eventually they have to pick a side to lean toward.

Essentially when they did the DRM they went half-way to digital, you can see they want to make the transition and DRM was an ill-conceived attempt to get people used to the idea without taking the disc away right now.

Anyway, my prediction is in 10-12 years time Gamestop will go the way of Blockbuster Video, but in the mean time they will try to make as much money as they can before that happens. Be ready to see ads asking you to trade in Assassin’s Creed Black Flag within the month of November so I can buy it pre-owned for 10 bucks cheaper.

#63 1 year ago
  64. Phoenixblight

TLDR

If you really believe this then SOny and MS now that they are releasing games the day of on their Digital channel would be selling games cheaper but they aren’t. Even with Sony’s Last of US was still 60$. They are working towards to making Digital more relevant but they won’t be doing it with price points or DLC. SOny already has a system set up so you can get the game the day off and play it while it is downloading. ANd MS is planning on releasing all the games the day of release as well. That right there will be a huge boon as no one will have to leave their house to play a game, they can just download it and then play much like the PC gamers do.

#64 1 year ago
  65. bradk825

It’s true that they already have digital available and they aren’t really focusing on it or doing much to market it for day one downloads, but I don’t think for this generation they have any plans to change that much. The only indication of any digital push is the big sale they are having right now. I could buy Tomb Raider cheaper on XBL right now than I could at Gamestop for a used copy.

I see we disagree mostly on HOW they will push digital, not THAT they will push digital. DLC and price points is how I would do it, but we’re not talking about 25% off here, I’d do like 5%, basically you’re saving the cost of the box it comes in and the disc. Plus they already offer day one DLC to sell games on disc, so they might adopt the strategy.

You might be right though, they might have something else in mind besides day one DLC, early release or price points, I just don’t know what that might be. I don’t think they’ll just keep things as-is though. It would be bad business to wait for it to happen naturally in my opinion. Marketing is one piece, dangling a carrot or two would be the other.

Call of Duty has proven that a special camo or title is enough to get people to do things, lol. So they really wouldn’t even have to do anything drastic.

#65 1 year ago
  66. DreadSabot

What they should have done and the best way to shut up all the losers would be to say – always online all the time – no disc based games but btw games new are 49.99 – 10 dollars less than storefront purchases. That would have sent the internet into a tail spin.

As it stands now its a shame they cant allow an option to opt in to using the system as it was supposed to be. Who wants a bunch of disc all over the place – been there and done that – and what do I use more – why my steam account full of games ofcourse. I do not need worry about where i put the disc or if it got scratched or something. Every time i get a new pc I load steam and download my games to it – done.

#66 1 year ago
  67. Lengendaryboss

“Who wants a bunch of disc all over the place”
    I’m sorry does a disc not come in a box where you can put it inside and place it neatly somewhere.

“I do not need worry about where i put the disc or if it got scratched or something.”
    You only put it inside where the disc-tray is located, if it gets scratched or damaged it is most likely your own doing (or other factors)

“Are you lemmings telling me that having a physical copy is better. No way – only if you cannot afford to buy games is it better”
    Well its cheaper, you can give it to a friend, you can trade it in for money, you got two purchase options Old=Cheaper New=Expensive. Only 1 of those things can be done digitally ATM.

If people are going to defend the original Xbox One or the U-turn, please talk with some fucking common sense :)

#67 1 year ago
  68. Dasoulink

The whole reason that this topic is so hot is because of the financial ramifications of one company going digital while another plays to what makes people comfy. usually most people do not like change even if its for the better. And to boot there has been a massive amount of misinformation and out right dishonesty in all of this. So there is no trust… In life there always has to be a villain and a hero to justify points of view. if you are really honest with yourself you cannot possibly believe that Sony all along was going to stay with the old system… no they were smart and played the hand best suited to ramp up sales and hats off to them. But in the aftermath they are still PROMOTING digital. On the other hand Microsoft used hard core data not hardcore gamer opinion and built a system to usher in change much like a iphone and apple. Digital is cool, it makes a ton of sense but no one likes to be TOLD what they HAVE to do…In addition the system as great as it seems it is has been marketed horribly.. so people are turned off……You can make a case for both discs and digital in a few scenarios but the bottom line is this ..if the DEVS keep folding because they cant survive in this system and DIGITAL will save them then DIGITAL it will be whiners beware..

#68 1 year ago
  69. Lengendaryboss

Again If people are going to defend the original Xbox One or the U-turn, please talk with some fucking common sense. :)

#69 1 year ago
  70. Dasoulink

“Again If people are going to defend the original Xbox One or the U-turn, please talk with some fucking common sense.”

OK…read this….as it seems the price of EA games will be coming in around $80…how much common sense is in your wallet…

this is a direct result of disc over digital and the covering of losses from used games sales..

#70 1 year ago
  71. Phoenixblight

That doesn’t effect the US as I have already reserved some EA games for PS4 for 60$.

And they won’t be bumping it to 80$. That would be suicide.

#71 1 year ago
  72. Lengendaryboss

“this is a direct result of disc over digital and the covering of losses from used games sales.” and when you can actually prove that instead of basing it on price increases and made up theories i will just point you to 67/69/70

Or i’ll just say it again “If people are going to defend the original Xbox One or the U-turn, please talk with some fucking common sense.” and by that i mean back up your statements with facts not jumping to conclusions points.

Prices haven’t changed on Amazon US still $59.99

#72 1 year ago
  73. Dasoulink

Reserves… ok thats cool but you can honestly say that prices on a whole will not rise, and if they do not how will bigger worlds better AI better graphics costs’ be accounted for??…afterall online passes are out..the prices of discs will have to rise IMO if not at launch surely soon after..remember this is EA what about the rest???

#73 1 year ago
  74. Dasoulink

@ 72 see 73 and justify with facts how this present system can possibly remain in tact charging $59.99 when gamers are expecting MORE from games on a whole..

#74 1 year ago
  75. Phoenixblight

You act that publishers can only think of one way to make their money back. Online passes are not the only way to recoup costs. They won’t be changing the prices if they do it won’t be as huge of a bump as you are suggesting. Developers are already saying the price will not increase as the workflow on content creation will not be changing as it did from PS2 to PS3.

#75 1 year ago
  76. Dasoulink

@71 ,@72 see this for more facts as you asked….

I am all for debate Im just saying.. you seem intelligent and that should tell you… games are going to have rise in cost…

#76 1 year ago
  77. Phoenixblight

Read that article. Its irrelevant.

Publishers will more than likely stay with the current pricepoint but look into building micro transactions and DLC to gain more revenue.

#77 1 year ago
  78. Lengendaryboss

Better.
    Much better.

#78 1 year ago
  79. Dasoulink

Its basic in thought if a title like gears of war 3 costs 15million dollars to make a year or so back a new gears title for example will cost more today..so if it took sales of 500,000 to break even on that title then it may take sales of 800,000 to 1 million to break even today….

now check this out…http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/17/destiny-what-we-know-now-vs-details-in-the-activision-bungie-con/

How much do you think Destiny will cost to make?? In order to fulfill Activision’s financials obligations this game has to be more than $59.99…

#79 1 year ago
  80. Phoenixblight

Destiny will be an MMO which means they can bring in microtransactions just like MMO today do along with DLC or content updates.

#80 1 year ago
  81. Dasoulink

Good debate no cursing or insults. ..cool… I hope you guys are right…but somehow I think this hobby will get more expensive by the time spring 2014 arrives.

#81 1 year ago