PS4 pre-orders halted at GameStop US

Tuesday, 9th July 2013 01:15 GMT By Brenna Hillier

GameStop has apparently sold through its allocation of launch PlayStation 4 units, and has closed US pre-orders.

The console is now listed as not available on the retailer’s website.

Speaking to GameInformer, a GameStop spokesperson confirmed the retailer has closed pre-orders.

“Due to high demand for the system, GameStop is not currently taking additional store reservations for the PlayStation 4,” the representative said.

Just a few weeks ago, rumour suggested the retailer would be taking “unlimited” PS4 pre-orders due to high availability of stock, but Sony had already warned that its expects demand to outpace supply.

1. xxJPRACERxx

I have my Xbox One Day-One edition pre-ordered. I was tempted by the PS4 more, but there’s no game I want right now except for inFamous but it’s release date is 2014.

#1 1 year ago
  2. MCTJim

I hope for their sake their can fulfill the pre-orders. But in typical console fashion I doubt they will be able to fill all the launch day orders. Its just the trend from past launches..not enough supply to meet demand. Hence the ebay trolls jacking the prices up and the yuppie parents paying an arm and a leg to get little Johnny one. I got my PS4 and Xbox One both from GS and dropped 200 bucks that day just to reserve them.

#2 1 year ago
  3. heyvc

I still have to wait for the pre orders to open in Brazil. But definitely picking a PS4 first and a Xbox one after a Year. X1 to cost U$975 here. Hoping the Ps4 costs less.

#3 1 year ago
  4. MCTJim

@3 yeah probably 100 less..

#4 1 year ago
  5. machy

but bundles still available .. and i think sony will get jp out this round and make them wait for change

#5 1 year ago
  6. heyvc

@4 Here it does not matter if it costs 100 dollars less in the US. The prices here do not follow the same ‘rules’ as in the US. BUT Jack Tretton did say that he hopes to launch PS4 here at the cheapest possible so we can count only on That and not on the difference it has in the US.

#6 1 year ago
  7. ChunkyLover112

Really? I have a hard time believing this, tbh. Probably some sort of PR move. No way there are THAT many pre-orders.

#7 1 year ago
  8. lexph3re

Got mine pre-ordered so im not worried. Looking forward to the tgs announcements too

#8 1 year ago
  9. SlayerGT

@8 And Gamescom apparently. They supposedly have a few surprises for each.

#9 1 year ago
  10. gargus

Sounds like the demand was incredibly high considering they gave unlimited pre orders.

Id dare say they will open up again though once Sony secures enough to meet demand. Atleast they didn’t just let people keep pre ordering it right up till launch and said “Sorry, youll have to wait we don’t have enough”.

#10 1 year ago