Xbox One’s online Reputation system to bracket players on their behaviour

Wednesday, 3rd July 2013 12:03 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One’s online Reputation system has been detailed in an interview with Microsoft’s senior product manager Mike Lavin, who has explained that player ratings will determine who gets match-made with who, and why it has been created to encourage people to communicate openly, rather than hide away in parties away from the racism and bigotry.

Speaking with OXM, Lavin began, “There’s a lot of folks, a lot of our core consumers who just want to basically kick back and stay in touch with some of their old college buddies.

“That’s cool, and Party Chat today and our Party system is leaps and bounds ahead of competitors, from the standpoint of just being able to isolate yourself and cross-game chat. But the problem we see is that this fragments voice communication within games. It’s very difficult, because if you’re isolated in Party Chat, you’re leaving everybody else behind.”

Lavin added, “What we’re looking at doing is creating a very robust system around reputation and match-making. If people are in your friends list, we’re not touching that, we’re just making it easier for you to come together. It’s really the anonymous side of things where we’re making these investments. Ultimately if there’s a few per cent of our population that are causing the rest of the population to have a miserable time, we should be able to identify those folks.”

Although the actual inner workings of the system are yet to be unveiled, Lavin added that there will be rewards and penalties for sportsmanship and griefing equally, and that your reputation will bracket you with similar players.

When asked if this might lead to an ‘evil’ side to Xbox Live, where all the bigots and dicks are bandied together, Lavin replied, “I didn’t say that. Some people might like to play with people that are similar to them. I would not necessarily want to play with those folks.”

He also added that there is no way a group of people could conspire to tarnish your reputation deliberately, forcing you to the realms of Xbox Live hell.

What’s your take on the above? Will you stay in parties to avoid the morass of public chat regardless of Xbox One’s reputation system, or would you be willing to participate vocally among a group of sane, sensible people?

Let us know below

1. ps3fanboy

it will bring an end to the cod franchises then, lol… and by the way this -> “Our Party chat system is leaps and bounds ahead of competitors”… it’s another lie. ingame chatting, skype etc have been here for ages and leaps ahead of anything called xbox party chat. so this is just more pr bs..

@Legendarychump, if you read this… grow a pair and stop whining.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Lord God King

@ ps3fanboy

Don’t you have a life? Like a job or something?

“Our Party chat system is leaps and bounds ahead of competitors”… it’s another lie. ingame chatting, skype etc have been here for ages”

it’s not ingame chat you idiot it’s cross-game chat. Sony admitted the PS3 didn’t have the memory to handle a party chat like Xbox 360.

BTW, skype is for PC, this is about consoles. Microsoft owns Skype.

#2 1 year ago
  3. dravenkaze

More xboners gonns get banned for lines like tits or get the f out and …all the stuff about mothers, ill stick with playstation

#3 1 year ago
  4. Lengendaryboss

@PS3fanboy
    Hey! Grow a pair of what? pineapples, flowers or coconuts :D

Anyway ignoring garbagefanboy I like this system, it seems to differentiate people based on behavior which could be useful.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Ireland Michael

This is a great idea… as long as people actually use it.

#5 1 year ago
  6. ps3fanboy

@LordGodKing, yes i work at the office. so when i have a few extra min to spare i usually go to vg247. now i have holidays and it’s raining outside, so i can be here aaaaaaaaaaall day long :D

@Lengendarychump, yeah you need to water them peas, LOL!…

#6 1 year ago
  7. Lord God King

Yeah, you’re setting a really nice example for the PS community. Good job. Just s*** up and buy the console you want. It’s obvious which one you’re going to get. I’m going to buy both :D

#7 1 year ago
  8. Ireland Michael

@1 Skype? You mean that company Microsoft owns?

Ell ooh elll.

The PS3 doesn’t have party chat, and its pretty the main reason I use my 360 for all my multiformat multiplayer games. It’s inclusion on the PS4 is very much welcome.

Thanks to party chat, it’s been years since I’ve had to listen to a single word of thrash talking, probably the most obnoxious, childish, irritating and unjustifiable aspect of modern gaming.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Beersup

Fanboy loves the X1. He can’t get enough of it. Reading every single article with a chub. Wheres the PS4′s news? Seems to be a bland, generic console with no features that stand out over others.

#9 1 year ago
  10. mreko3230

Sounds like a step in the right direction. But like @8 said, due to party chat, I haven’t heard 12yr olds screaming obscenities in years.

Also, can we dispense with the myth that only XBOX has immature kids yelling and screaming? It goes on on the PS3 and it happens on the PC…ALL THE TIME. Youtube has hundreds of videos of kids (and some “adults”) acting like idiots on all systems.

#10 1 year ago
  11. BrahManDude

i want to see how it would work

#11 1 year ago
  12. Kieran

yea some person campin or is really good at cod is gona get that bad reputation thing on their accounts

#12 1 year ago
  13. scoder

This gaming world is getting too much like a “world” if you know what I mean – Xbox One Review

#13 1 year ago
  14. gargus

Oh boy, a whole new way to get trolled now. Being flagged for no reason at all.

I can see this being an issue. Im playing and people want to be a dick for no reason at all and flag me because 1) I am not doing very well, 2) I am doing very well and beating them, or 3) Just because they want to be a horses ass.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Maabren

Yepp, not sure if this is as good as MS want us to belive. What if four of us want to play together but as one of us got flagged a lot he won’t get to play with the rest of us?

#15 1 year ago
  16. Ireland Michael

@15 I would imagine if you’re in a pre-arranged party, that’s not going to be an issue.

#16 1 year ago
  17. fengato

Matchmaking should be solely based on connection quality – gameplay depends on it. Ridiculous that they think their software will lead to a utopian community. The monkeys (the majority) online will invariably abuse any kind of rating system. I never use the mic (publicly), yet 15% of players have negged me for ‘Trash Talk.’

#17 1 year ago
  18. bradk825

@17 15% seems a little high for negging a silent player, is there a place you can go see how many people negged you?

I am happy about this. Certain game types disallow party chat to prevent exploits, so when I play them I am forced to be in there with the trolls. I wish I had a dime for every time I had to mute 80% of the lobby for rapping, playing loud music with the mike on, rapping, screaming, whistling, arguing with their mom, possibly masterbating, etc etc… Some may even be doing all at once.

Yes, I know I listed rapping twice, it’s particularly bad.

Not all the details discussed are above. They are not just tracking reports, but also how often you tend to get muted, kicked out of a lobby, banned from a game for boosting etc..

All sounds good. Looking forward to this improvement.

#18 1 year ago