Nintendo still making consoles so its software can be “tuned especially” for the hardware – NoA

Wednesday, 26th June 2013 20:47 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

NoA’s senior director of corporate communications Charlie Scibetta has said there’s a very solid reason Nintendo stays in the hardware business, instead of becoming a third-party software maker.

Speaking with Shack, Scibetta said the firm’s “hardware and software work in perfect harmony.”

“That’s why we’re still in the hardware business, because we think our hardware is the best way to bring software to life,” he said. “It’s tuned perfectly for that. When Mario bounces from mushroom to mushroom, it feels so responsive because the software has been tuned especially for that hardware.”

Such reasoning is also why the firm chose to develop a second screen for its Wii U console instead of creating an application for a third-party device.

“For Nintendo, having the second screen built right into the hardware means there’s no learning cure, no lag, no technology curve to try and figure out how to use it,” Scibetta said. “When you talk about other companies utilizing a second screen, for us we wanted to have it built right in, that ensures that the software comes to life the way it was intended to be by the designer.”

Scibetta used The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD as an example of this, as the game will make use of the second screen for photographs, messages, Miiverse, and by putting “screenshots in a Tingle bottle and send them out.”

More through the link.

1. _LarZen_

Wow….just wow…

2. dreamcastnews

Nothing wrong with that statement.

3. Raijin

They seem to be very outspoken about their console, but none of the things Nintendo do lately make any sense to me. They earned a lot of money with the Wii and there is no excuse for not making a more competitive, “next gen” console. I also don’t find the second screen very appealing, they event went with a cheap one touch display. There are games coming out that I would want to play, but I just can’t find many positive things about it.

4. Sini

shove the waggling crap up your ass nintendo, and the wide wiiu controller with it.

5. ps3fanboy

suck on the wii-utanic you haters, it’s ninty revenge time!

6. Lengendaryboss

^ Hey! i thought you owned/enjoyed Wii U? I missed the Wii-utanic :)

7. mistermogul

@6 – Wii-utanic became the Wii-uboat!

8. broomburgo

I like this attitude, and I think there’s real value in being in control of both hardware and software; my problem with Nintendo is that they’re not doing it right. Most of the Wii’s peculiar features turned out to damage the same Nintendo games that they were supposed to enhance. Also, the Wii U is awkward, and let me clarify.

I don’t see a real problem in the relatively poor hardware: the gap from previous gen to current gen was much higher than the one from the current gen to the next gen, at least from what we’ve seen so far. For most people, even for gamers, current HD quality is good enough. But the Wii U controller is bad, is awkward. I think there’s real value in adding a touchscreen to the controller, and you can prove that just by playing the DS or 3DS: the touch screen actually enhances the gameplay; but the Wii U controller is too big, it’s touch screen is too big to actually extend the controls in a meaningful way.

I think the fact that you can play directly on the controller’s screen is a big deal, but I would have preferred a smaller screen on a more confortable controller. Maybe Nintendo’s problem, or at least “current” Nintendo’s problem, is the fact that thay have good intentions but aren’t capable to deliver real quality (apart from the games per se).

9. ps3fanboy

the wii-u have become the wii-uamato the NEW Yamato!!!

here’s some facts about the awesome yamoto, for does that skipped history class..