Kojima calls MGS5 a “real stealth simulator”

Monday, 24th June 2013 02:58 GMT By Brenna Hillier

In a Japanese-language interview, Hideo Kojima said seeing the competition at E3 has pushed him to work even harder on Metal Gear Solid 5, which he describes as much more of a realistic stealth simulator than previous entries in the series.

Kojima made the comment in an interview with 4Gamer, as translated by DualShockers. After commenting that he’s been working towards the game’s 1980′s setting time period for a long time, building up in decade increments, he shared some details on Metal Gear Solid 5′s stealth gameplay, noting that it’s “very realistic”.

“It’s not just a matter of following the rules of the game anymore. You can decide to just walk to your destination or ride a car. There are less sentries during the night, but you’ll be easy to spot if you turn on the headlights. Of course there are a lot more sentries during the day,” he said.

“I think the definition of ‘real stealth simulator’ is appropriate. Previously when the game was on rails players knew what to expect, because designers just put an explosion there, a collapsing wall there. It was like a haunted house. Now weather and time will change. I wanted to make this game allowing a million of different players to play in a million of different ways.”

Kojima also noted again that he wants to take on the world with MGS5, picking out one game in particular as a rival.

“I thought it received a good reaction, but after seeing Ubisoft’s The Division I felt I have to work harder,” he said.

Metal Gear Solid 5 is expected on PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One in 2014.

Thanks, GameInformer.

1. POOP CRUSTY

19080? Snake is still alive? :D

2. Brenna Hillier

Whoops! Ta :)

3. Crussong

@1 You didnt play MGS4, did you?

4. Brenna Hillier

@3 it’s a reference to a typo I made. Regardless of how many MGS games you have played you will not find proof that Snake is alive in the 19080′s.

5. POOP CRUSTY

@4 Cyborg Snake?
    @3 Actually I bought it first day it came out and beat it in 4 days.

6. Crussong

@4 & 5: Okay.. nevermind then :D

7. POOP CRUSTY

Anyways I thought that peace walker and MGS4 were really great stealth games do to being able to crouch and still move at a faster pace. To really feel the stealth prespective in other titles, you would have to turn the difficulty up some.

8. Stardog

I thought 3 and 4 were poor, but this looks like a day one buy.

9. Crussong

@8 What? MGS3 was like the best game of the series.
    I mean, what was it that you didnt like?

10. Stardog

@9 After Splinter Cell the stealth mechanics were behind the times. Also, no free camera control. Chaos Theory came out a few months later and stomped on it some more. And no radar, one of the main mechanics in 1 & 2. Standing 10ft in front of an enemy without them seeing you is just stupid without the radar mechanic.

MGS1 was the best game in the series.

11. Un-HolyMOTHERofGOD

“after seeing Ubisoft’s The Division I felt I have to work harder” That makes me very happy.

12. redwood

@11 yeah he ‘ll probably just add more 30 minute movies.

13. Digital Bamboo

@12 MGS5 may surprise people, defy their expectations. I think Kojima may really be developing a very different MGS game here.

He’s made the game open-world, stated that he wants to make it much more mature, and changed the voice of Snake, all big decisions that, to me, suggest Kojima is committed to moving the series forward.

MGS5 is shaping up to be a relaunch of a long-standing series, in the same vein as the recent Tomb Raider game, which is fantastic. I hope Kojima has the conviction to cut away the fat of recent Metal Gears, like over-long movies, and just leave a great gameplay experience in a dynamic world.

Basically, I think the tech has finally caught up to Kojima’s original conception of what kind of game Metal Gear was meant to be when he first devised it, and I can’t wait to see the result.

14. gomersoul

I agree that mgs1 was the best in the series if not one of the best games of all time… but now the story has become ridiculous and if his idea of real stealth is riding a horse past guards while showing your boot and saddle then I’ll wait for reviews before I decide to get this. it might be another kojima let down

15. Lengendaryboss

I love that.

16. Kuwabara

mgs3 is the best game ever made and the most memorable.

17. wildBoar

@16 Nice username Kuwabara ; )
    Greatest game soundtrack of all time.