The Bureau: XCOM Declassified’s first DLC is Xbox 360 exclusive, ‘Battle Focus’ trailer inside

Wednesday, 19th June 2013 13:15 GMT By Dave Cook

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified publisher 2K Games has confirmed that the title’s first DLC pack is coming exclusively to Xbox 360 if you pre-order the game. We’ve also got a new ‘Battle Focus’ trailer that shows the game’s strategic play at work.

Do you think the clip looks tactical? Speaking of tactics, I recently interviewed development director at 2K Marin Morgan Gray on Declassified’s strategic elements, to find out just how deep and taxing the game actually becomes. Check out our chat here.

The DLC mission is called “Codebreakers”, and it follows Special Agent Carter and his squad as they investigate a top secret government communications facility that has fallen silent. Once thee they must deal with alien enemies and attempt to break a code being transmitted from the station.

On the extra content, Gray said in a statement, “The alternate 1962 universe that we’ve created for The Bureau is vast and there are many more stories to tell about the early days of XCOM. We’re excited that our stories will provide a new perspective on the war effort, much like how our critically acclaimed Minvera’s Den DLC for BioShock 2 allowed us to present a unique perspective of Rapture.”

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified hits PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 across North America from August 20, and across Europe August 23.

1. Aullah

Im really… REEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY sick when they talk about DLC-s when the game is not even out. Its still months away, you fukin assholes!

#1 1 year ago
  2. Pytox

lol dlc before game :x

#2 1 year ago
  3. ps3fanboy

the dlc comes before the game, this must be a first, LOL!

#3 1 year ago
  4. raoulle

#4 1 year ago
  5. DSB

If it wasn’t for the crappy artstyle and the aliens that look nothing like X-Com, that would actually look pretty good.

#5 1 year ago
  6. karma

Day 1 DLC? 2K are turning into right greedy arseholes.

TBH, after seeing how they have changed this from the darker, grittier, more moody, slow burn X-Files style first person tactical shooter, to a colourful all out arcade 3rd person actioner, I’m not that keen anymore.

The game looked best the first two times they showed it off.

I’d rather an improved X-Com Enemy Unknown sequel from Fireaxis with deeper, more complex gameplay and more refined, more mature art style myself.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Samoan Spider

@6 But just out of interest on the day 1 dlc, what would you propose the writers and artists do whilst it’s in the ‘heading for gold’ bug fixing stage? Get fired?

#7 1 year ago
  8. karma

#7: Anyone who has worked in game development knows that the folks with less important jobs get laid off no matter what. The more essential guys usually move on to the studios next big project. If not, then that company doesn’t have any work lined up and they aren’t going to keep you on anyway. This BS about working on DLC is nothing more than an attempt to justify the practice of cutting content from a game to sell for extra.

You don’t think DLC that needs to be ready on day 1 doesn’t have to go through the same rigorous bug testing and certification process that the actual game does too?

#8 1 year ago
  9. Samoan Spider

@8 Yeah, I’m certain the little guys get laid off no matter what but even if you take the cynicism out of the whole thing, if you have guys that would otherwise get laid off, able to give you 3-6 months of DLC work that will easily be lapped up by the gaming public (despite us all moaning about it) then surely just from a business point of view, it makes sense.
    You personally may not like DLC and I know many don’t, but I don’t mind the stuff that extends a game in other ways and since I always pay a lot less than day 1 retail price by waiting 3 months or more to buy on special somewhere, I get pretty good value for my money even if I buy all the DLC too.

#9 1 year ago
  10. SplatteredHouse

I was hugely looking forward to XCOM, before they retconned in alien designs from Enemy Unknown, and then abducted the gameplay stylings, albeit with a real-time slant. It just feels like they reached a decision where they wouldn’t have a true EU sequel ready in a reasonable timeframe, from scratch, so they did this to XCOM, instead! Sacrificing most of the original concept into the “bargain”.
    I’ve seen gameplay of this, and it just doesn’t appeal. They’re just soldiers, again :(

In the presentation, they had people using magic effects and all sorts of stupid crap. In XCOM, it was good to have the commander (actually defined as that character so he was able to) use his awareness and his acumen to take stock in the heat of the moment, and that allows him to react clearly to best guide the npc allies.

Where I was hoping with XCOM that we would see a less stoic, more human side to the concept of dealing with the invasion – except it looks as if that’s become a mere footnote in The Bureau – their inexperience, their need to adjust and just try to find their way in this crazy situation that has appeared on their very doorsteps.
    But. Now it’s like 2K’ve just stuffed EU into the 50′s (previously 60s).

#10 1 year ago
  11. DSB

@10 Yup, absolutely. That’s essentially a much more eloquent version of how I feel :P

I don’t mind a retcon in terms of setting the conflict earlier, and I think it’s great that they’re using “just soldiers”, because to me that was very much the basis of the first game.

You had a ton of these “just soldiers” and there was no telling how many might survive the next mission. It was awesome, and for me it’s easily the best part of the game. Once you level up armor and weapons you kinda lose that horror, you’re no longer a guerilla force.

But I think it’s a shame to have the game disconnect itself from the original by completely changing the alien designs. Especially to something as extravagant and weird as those in the video. It just doesn’t resonate.

The gameplay looks good, and I like the idea, but it’s got no class.

#11 1 year ago