PlayStation boss pushing more “immediacy” for downloaded games

Wednesday, 19th June 2013 01:35 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Top PlayStation executives are hoping the PlayStation 4′s emphasis on decreased download times will help digital game sales reach their full potential.

Speaking to Kotaku, vice president of hardware marketing John Koller saod Sony is “very bullish on digital”.

“One of the things we noticed through the progression of building the PlayStation 4 and now that we’ve announced it is that immediacy is a big problem in this industry. Digital is really harmed by that,” he said.

“The difference between an eight hour download and a 15-minute drive to retail – retail is winning that every time. Physical gaming will proliferate as long as that continues.”

Sony is working on a number of solutions, one of which is PlayGo, which allows you to start playing a game well before it has finished downloading. Koller said he expects digital game sales to grow “a lot more rapidly” thanks to this innovation.

Part of the motivation for this decision is the growing prevalence of mobile gaming despite the often wide quality gap with console games.

“When you play a game on tablet or mobile, you may not be playing the deep, rich immersive games you play on console, but you are immediately accessing that content. There’s not a lot of lag. So we looked at that,” he said.

“And, as we talked to gamers who were starting to say, ‘You know I love console gaming but tablets and mobile are engaging my time,’ we realized that as an industry we need to solve that. PlayGo was born of that. We said, ‘We need to make it easier for people to get into digital content, so that people don’t have to wait around.’”

PlayGo, Gaikai and other solutions will help “make things easier for people on an immediacy basis, as an industry”, Koller added.

“We need to make games more accessible,” he concluded.

Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida echoed Koller’s comments.

“The things we want to see change [is to have] more people embrace the digital side and have more people connect,” he said.

1. POOP CRUSTY

A full 8-9 gb game takes about 1-2 hours for me to download. Now that games will be more than that because all consoles have a BR Drive.. I’m hoping Sony increases it’s download speed a bit. I don’t mind waiting, I just hate leaving my console on idle for the duration.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Battler624

a retail is still better in the middle-east unless you take a very highspeed internet subscription lemme just tell you that in kuwait for a 1000$ annually you get around 8-10mb download or around 1.2 mb/s download speed

and with the games being around 20GB and pack not much gameplay unless its a story driven game and some games that are actually worth playing immediately got around 35GB “God of war 3 i am talking to you”

#2 1 year ago
  3. SlayerGT

Why didn’t they just make a “digital distributed content only” machine then…like MS.

#3 1 year ago
  4. ivycrew707

Can’t wait to see how this pans out because Sony’s downloads are HORRIBLE now and not just because of the time it takes…..3 out of 5 demos mind you are always corrupted and wind up having to download 2 or 3 times….and its not just me….numerous people on my friends list have this problem

#4 1 year ago
  5. penniman

The problem is in the United States.. A minority of the population which is still rather large has no internet. Also those who do have internet usually have a low 20mb download speed or lower.. Fiber internet is starting to come about in the United States but those who do offer it provide it for a ridiculous price. The fiber being provided is even lower because of the monopoly created in the Internet providing business. There are some companies that are actually solving this problem but at a slow rate due to lack of capital. Such a company is Google for instance with Google Fiber.. The future is in digital and retail will crash and burn. My only question is if digital costs will be lower than retail costs. A smart idea for Sony would be to make all AAA games be -5 USD by using digital download thus putting some pressure on the consumer to buy via digital, then that would place more pressure on the internet providers to satisfy the needs of the large populace buying and downloading games digitally.

#5 1 year ago
  6. actuallyisnotafox

this will never be that successful. thanks to publishers keeping full games at that rrp price even higher in most cases, and that people wont have the money to buy non re-sellable games, i just cant see it, sure if they offered major discounts due to it being online and it didnt take up to much space for a few games then sure.

#6 1 year ago
  7. WENDiGO

@3 That would be forcing us to embrace it. I think they want to give us a choice.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Kanok

I’m a big xbox fan but i’ll support Sony, because i hate Don Mattrick and his policy.

#8 1 year ago
  9. SCOUTING4GUNS

I made an account just to ask if the download process on the ps3 is really that slow, now the reason i ask is because I’m certain some people just make numbers up. I downloaded the last of us which is 24GB in 41 minutes and was able to play it in roughly 25 minutes, once it reached 70%. Just to let everyone know I get 120Mbps down and 12Mbps up

#9 1 year ago
  10. jmg24bad

i get about 90 down and 10 up. But thats only when I am at university (in the US)

#10 1 year ago
  11. redwood

they need to allow users to be able to DL games on their pcs and than put them on the ps4. that way people with really slow net can DL stuff more easily. (like me)

#11 1 year ago
  12. fuchikoma

Personally, while the quick play feature with downloads sounds nice, speed isn’t what keeps me from buying downloadable editions. I order games online and then wait weeks for them. I like physically owning them though, and being able to pop them into any PS3/PSP/Vita. I was kicking myself because I downloaded Wipeout HD, then it got a disc release in Europe and I’m not buying it twice…

@3 They probably don’t want a repeat of the PSP Go, much less the XBone.

@4 Are you on wi-fi? The PS3 is terrible at that. I hooked mine through my PC, which uses the same wireless router, and the connection got about 10x as fast and more reliable by far.

#12 1 year ago
  13. xxJPRACERxx

Funny thing with my PS3 is it takes more time to install the games than the actual downloads.

#13 1 year ago
  14. VibraniumSpork

@13 This. It was only just about bearable when the PS3 launched but the same bullcrap would be completely unacceptable with the PS4 – Sony really need to have streamlined this whole process, no separate download and install processes that take just as much time as each other. Hopefully PlayGo will make right.

#14 1 year ago
  15. unclejibjab

I think more important than download times is price. Having top ay more for the digital version is frankly ridiculous.

They released The Last of Us at the same price for digital as in store and i didn’t hesitate to pick up the digital copy of it.

Fix the pricing issue and people will embrace the model.

#15 1 year ago
  16. VibraniumSpork

@15 Soul Sacrifice was one of the best examples of that recently; you could pre-order through PSN and it was cheaper than retail *and* came with more DLC. Didn’t think twice about picking it up digitally thanks to that.

#16 1 year ago