DayZ dev hopes survival emphasis will decrease bandits

Thursday, 13th June 2013 05:58 GMT By Brenna Hillier

DayZ creator Dean “Rocket” Hall has said the increased emphasis on survival in the standalone release will bring down the number of bandits in-game.

“This is one of our big issues. So this is what we found, why so many people are bandits: I think it’s because they’re bored, and there’s nothing to do,” Hall told Kotaku at E3.

“So I think that the game, this new antagonist, we’re hopeful that that will have an impact on players’ playstyle because they’ll be forced to interact.

“Now, notice I didn’t say forced to cooperate. Because I think that’s a key difference. They’ll be forced to interact, maybe on a neutral footing, so there’ll be sort of these very high-tension trades occurring between groups of people.”

Hall made the comment as part of a lengthy Q&A composed of Reddit-submitted questions. There are loads of nitty-gritty details in there, like the fact that weapons and vehicles take damage; why the UI has been stripped back; how zombie and loot spawns work; and much, much more. If you’re a fan, do click through.

DayZ is expected on PC sometime this year; a console port is almost guaranteed to follow. The new version has a rebuilt client-sever architecture and players must contend with temperature, starvation and disease. We have some brand new and very tasty footage from a pre-alpha build.

1. OwnedWhenStoned

Excuse my ignorance, but can you play this solo?

#1 11 months ago
  2. Thegaiden

@1 Yeah, you can. Though I personally believe the experience is boosted if you bring friends.

#2 11 months ago
  3. OwnedWhenStoned

@2 Thanks for the info. I’ve really gone off multiplayer gaming recently, and would like to play it PvE

#3 11 months ago
  4. manamana

I don’t think, that other players are bored when they’re grazing the coast, waiting for fresh meat.

#4 11 months ago
  5. deathm00n

@3 It’s actually a lot more complex than play alone or play with other people. If you play alone it’s just fine, but eventually you will find another player in the world, and that’s when the tension begins, you will never know the true intent of the other player, he can even fake to side with yourself and then shoot you in the back to grab your items. But people as always had to kill the game hadn’t they? Now almost everyone you encounter wants to kill you.

#5 11 months ago
  6. OwnedWhenStoned

@5 OK so there’s no way to play the game offline?

#6 11 months ago