PS4 pre-orders are “through the roof” since price announcement, says Blockbuster

Wednesday, 12th June 2013 17:33 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Blockbuster has announced that PS4 pre-orders are “through the roof” at the retail chain.

According to a statement the firm sent over, the firm saw a “huge spike in pre-order sales” for PS4 following Sony’s price announcement at E3.

“In the wake of Xbox One’s record-breaking pre-order success at Blockbuster last month, the PS4 has received the same incredibly positive reaction, proving that the gaming industry is booming,” said the firm.

“We are absolutely thrilled with the amazing response to our pre-order service for both the PS4 and Xbox One,” added James Morton, head of product at Blockbuster.

“We’re looking forward to seeing the brand new consoles in our stores along with the latest games to buy or rent. 2013 has been a fantastic year for gaming at Blockbuster and its set to only get better following the announcements at E3.”

The Xbox One, Day One edition will hit Blockbuster’s shelves this November at £429.99 alongside accessories including chat headsets, wireless controllers and play and charge kits.

PS4 will run £349.99 in the region.

1. DSB

Blockbuster probably can’t afford to have any of their roofs repaired, so this could be a serious problem.

#1 1 year ago
  2. alterecho

I bet the price is not the only reason.

#2 1 year ago
  3. KineticCalvaria

@1, rofl.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Sadismek

Good for them! I’ll eventually get one as well, but definitely after 2-3 years, when the game catalogue broadens a bit.

@1 Hehe :D.

#4 1 year ago
  5. actuallyisnotafox

im proud :) its not many months till the release of these next gen consoles and if sony market it right this could be as big as the other consoles. i just hope these retailers are on board for used games and a note to anyone if any developer wants drm on theyre ps4 games lets not buy it :’)

#5 1 year ago
  6. Djoenz

Just shows how many nerds there are.

#6 1 year ago
  7. laughing-gravy

“We’re looking forward to seeing the brand new consoles in our stores along with the latest games to buy or rent”
    Someone should tell them that you can’t rent games for Xbox one.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Joe Musashi

Do any of these retailers with their exuberant claims ever mention a specific metric? Just hype statements like “through the roof” or “record breaking” or “incredibly positive reaction”.

Whilst it may all be genuine, it feels more like they’re saying something that’ll generate a headline and trying to take part in the hype train when they’ve nothing to say.

JM

#8 1 year ago
  9. SlayerGT

#9 1 year ago
  10. jmg24bad

Amazon is out of preorders too

#10 1 year ago
  11. yeoung

I wonder how the pre-orders are tallying at Starbucks and Footlocker

#11 1 year ago
  12. KineticCalvaria

@11, I don’t… even… uh?

#12 1 year ago
  13. Silent Killer01

What’s a Blockbuster?

#13 1 year ago
  14. mkotechno

Nice fake PS4 logo, good job.

#14 1 year ago
  15. melonbuster1

Lol a whole day with one pre order. .bullshit. .sold out in seconds. .on amazon and every other retailer.. so stop the fanboy crap. Both will sell out on launch. It’s who ever has the most systems to ship to stores will win this holiday. Microsoft will ship 2-3 million sony because of the ram issue will ship 1-1.5 million

#15 1 year ago
  16. Sadismek

@15 Please, don’t shove numbers out of your ass.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Phoenixblight

Ram issue? WTF are you talking about.

#17 1 year ago
  18. OnionPowder

@15 Microsoft is the one rumored to have hardware issues. They have since before it was announced. Originally with the CPUs first production showing lower yields than they originally intended (Cannot find a source, so ignore if you wish) and now with the eSRAM supposedly have a 30-40% failure rate in production.

#18 1 year ago
  19. OlderGamer

“My Gamestop was only allotted 20 PS4′s and 10 XBOne’s for preorder. I was the first to get a PS4 ordered. The XBOne went a whole day having only one person preorder one.”

My Gamestop has 32 PS4.

I am number 30 on that list.

They have 20 X1s. Looked like 2 have been preordered.

Doesn’t mean anything tho, cept I have mine set.

Also might wanna preorder gamepads if your ordering PS4, said to be in short supply.

#19 1 year ago
  20. NiceFellow

@15 you realize MS is the company rumored to have RAM (actually chip yield ) issues?

#20 1 year ago
  21. salarta

I’m glad to see this article here, as it’s a very good bit of balance after the article a couple weeks back touting Blockbuster’s preorder numbers.

#21 1 year ago
  22. NightCrawler1970

@19 how many canceled from Xbox One? and switch over to PS4? any numbers of that?

#22 1 year ago
  23. SlayerGT

@19 “Doesn’t mean anything tho, cept I have mine set.”

Right!? :D So excited. My buddy who preordered the second X1 asked me, “what games you gonna get?” I was like, “Probly none.” :P I explained to him, “you know how people go out and get the next iPhone for no particular reason other than its the new one? Well Playstations are my iPhones.” Its the only thing I’m that way about. My contact doesn’t work till later but I’m curious to know how many of those PS4 & X1 preorders are left.

#23 1 year ago
  24. SlayerGT

@22 The gamestop by me started taking preorders for the respective system after their corresponding conferences. But since I’m central they didn’t start PS4′s till Tues morning.

#24 1 year ago
  25. OmegaSlayer

Here’s the reason why kids bought Microsoft products.
    Because they’re unable to read and understand.
    I sincerely congratulate with your junior school teachers, they did a helluva job.

#25 1 year ago
  26. vgyliu

@10 Amazon still has standard editions. I was lucky enough to get a Limited . They mentioned something that the Limited and Standard are the same thing except the Limited gets it on Launch day

#26 1 year ago
  27. ps3fanboy

it’s “through the roof” suck on that xbots… LOL!

#27 1 year ago