PS4 ‘Playroom’ tech demo shows PlayStation Eye & DualShock at work

Wednesday, 12th June 2013 08:08 GMT By Dave Cook

PlayStation Eye’s enhanced camera tech has been shown in a new PS4 tech demo called ‘Playroom’. Sony released the clip as part of its E3 2013 push on the next-gen console, and to show how DualShock 4 and the camera work in sync to make for motion-controlled play. You can find out more on it through the PS Blog.

What do you think? Could the PlayStation Eye work better in next-gen in tandem with DualShock 4? Is it even something you’d use for standalone camera games? Let us know below.

1. salarta

I actually hope they don’t utilize the camera much. I really don’t like the privacy risks behind having any kind of camera. I was even a little worried at first that the camera would be required for the controller, but then I saw specs stating it has bluetooth, so it should be able to play without the Playstation Eye attached.

#1 11 months ago
  2. melonbuster1

No support for it. Because it’s not in every box

#2 11 months ago
  3. KineticCalvaria

1.27, robot abuse.

I’m not amused, they have feelings too ya know!

#3 11 months ago
  4. Ekona

Utterly unimpressive, and shows that Sony don’t have everything sewn up for next gen. Granted, we’ve seen a lot less of Kinect than I would’ve liked, but if that’s the best they can do as an example of what the PS Eye & PS4 & DS4 can do, then they might as well not bother.

#4 11 months ago
  5. Fin

That was cool!

Yeah because Kinect v PS Eye will decide NG.

#5 11 months ago
  6. tezzer1985

Stop bitching about the Camera, it’s not included in the box…So you don’t have to worry about owning it or using it.

Let Sony and Microsoft make whatever games they see fit for their Cameras, it’s clear Microsoft is banking heavier then Sony, But the option is their for families, and people who want it.

#6 11 months ago
  7. Rosseu

If devs manage to allow it an option for the camera to scan my face into my character I’d buy that camera

#7 11 months ago
  8. Ekona

@5 My point wasn’t that it’s the be-all and end-all of the next gen, more like that if you can’t do anything useful with it then spend your money elsewhere. I meant not bother with the PS Eye, not not bother with next-gen stuff at all. :)

#8 11 months ago
  9. xino

when will they start showing black people enjoying consoles in these types of videos:/

HAHAHAH..i knew someone will catch an eye for that:D

i still don’t see the point of the LED at the back of the controller, when you can’t see it!

#9 11 months ago
  10. yeoung

@9: the LED is not for the player, it’s for the camera/PSeye. It allows the camera to identify players and flip splitscreen accordingly, per example.

I’m not sure what the demographic is here, but my mentally challenged cousin would love this shit. I could prolly leave him with this in a room for weeks. Noted.

#10 11 months ago
  11. monkeygourmet

Eyetoy is watching you make stool…

#11 11 months ago
  12. Gheritt White

This was a cool video and far more interesting than *anything* I have *ever* seen for Kinect.

This kind of motion-control entertainment software appeals to me far more than that found on others platforms.

Why?

BECAUSE THEY’RE SITTING DOWN.

Also, buttons FTW.