Battlefield 3 “looked a little bit too much” to Call of Duty

Wednesday, 12th June 2013 02:06 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Battlefield 3 was good, but it might have been better if DICE hadn’t been so conscious of Call of Duty, studio boss Patrick Soderlund has admitted

“One can advocate that even though Battlefield 3 was a gigantic success for us, I would say we may have looked a little bit too much at our competitor,” the EA Games executive vice president Patrick Soderlund told GamesIndustry, almost certainly referring to Activision’s Call of Duty.

“And we’ve been criticized for that, especially on the single-player side. But when we started doing Battlefield 4, we said we were going to make the game we think is the right game for us and the consumers. Again, you can’t be arrogant about it. You have to be a little paranoid about what others are doing, but staying true to what you’re doing is the key.”

Soderlund also had some inetresting things to say about this console transition, saying that it demands more of developers than the last.

“Consumers and press have been telling us they want something different. Last time around, we didn’t really have that problem,” he said.

“If you think about PS2 to PS3 era, it was all about high-def gaming. You can now enjoy this in high-def. They were fine with the same game they could play on the PS2 because it looked so much better. You can’t do that anymore. The games on PS3 and 360 still look OK. It’s about what we do outside of graphics that will make a difference, I think.”

Soderlund said gamers want “a deep, engaging single-player campaign”, “multiplayer with seven to ten game modes”, “a huge variety of locations” as well as “some kind of service to support the game post-launch that is not ripping consumers off but actually adds value”.

“People choose one or maybe two games and they stick with those, and they want to be in that experience for a long time. So we as game creators need to make sure we fulfill their needs, to keep ahead of the curve,” he said.

Battlefield 4 is due in October on PC as well as current consoles, with next-gen launch due whenever hardware surfaces.

1. DSB

Okay so last time they said it was the spiritual successor to BF2.

This time they’re saying last time wasn’t the spiritual successor to BF2, but that this one definitely will be.

You have my complete confidence guys.

#1 1 year ago
  2. ivycrew707

I have to disagree…I started playing COD: Black Ops 2 for the first time this week and I reallllllllly appreciate how different BF3 is.

#2 1 year ago
  3. A2ra3l

@1 They are not saying that at all. BF3 was the spiritual successor to BF2 because it re-added things that people had been missing,it was going to be the game that brought the die hard fans back. What they are saying now is that maybe they payed too much attention to what COD was doing and lost sight of what they originally wanted the game to be.

That doesn’t mean they didn’t make the game they wanted to, just that looking back now they could have made it even better and so far from what they have shown of BF4 they have succeded, most of the complaints people have had with BF3 look as though they have been addressed, with the other complaints (netcode, hit reg, etc.) can’t be seen without playing it yourself. As more gameplay reviews come out from people actually experiencing the game at E3 we will see if any of these have also been tweaked.

I can’t wait and am glad I pre-ordered early

#3 1 year ago
  4. backup

BF3 = 32 players
    MAG = 256 players

#4 1 year ago
  5. GrimRita

I always bugs me when companies bash their last release. DICE are the masters of this. In all honesty, I have seen nothing to impress me in Battlefield 4 and therefore will not install EAs spyware to play it.

#5 1 year ago
  6. silkvg247

Two things ruined BF3 for me, ultimately making me quit with much fewer hours than BFBC2…

1, Bugs which only affected a tiny % of people thus were never fixed
    e.g. Rebinding certain keys did not / does not work (such as deceleration in a jet). Some rebinds were fixed eventually, about 4 months after launch!

A so called “PC optimized” game shouldn’t have a single fucking bug in it’s configuration options, letalone months after launch.

2, Origin and the browser launcher. Messiest and buggiest game launcher(s) I’ve ever had the displeasure to try and work with.

#6 1 year ago
  7. KineticCalvaria

@4, Planetside 2 = 1000′s players.

#7 1 year ago
  8. backup

are u owning urself?

because it’s coming to PS4 and better version

#8 1 year ago
  9. KineticCalvaria

@8, better version? Ha now who’s owning themselves?

#9 1 year ago
  10. backup

owning u hahaha
    now u trying for better version even i said Planetside 2
    coming to PS4

#10 1 year ago
  11. ArithonUK

BF3 was the least “BattleField” game DICE have ever made. It was technically inferior to all its predecessors in every aspect except graphics and THAT is the fundamental problem. “Pretty” took precedence over “functional”.
    In BF1942 I could move the aircraft carrier in Wake Island out of sight of land and the opposing players had to hunt for the source of the attack. Flying a B52 with other players wasn’t on rails – I could go anywhere. Submarines were huge fun.
    DICE have failed for years to meet the original bar, much less raise it.
    Soderlund said gamers want “a deep, engaging single-player campaign”
    “We want single-player” said no BattleField player EVER! It’s a multi-player franchise, not one single stuff was ever given for a campaign!

LAN play, modding, observer mode, commander, in-game (non-friend based) comms – these are what gamers have been screaming at DICE to re-instate!

“some kind of service to support the game post-launch that is not ripping consumers off but actually adds value” OR mod-support as it is more commonly called…

My expectations of BF4 are currently VERY low – it’ll be the first BattleField title since I got BF1942 I won’t buy on day 1.
    My advice to DICE; Make all your programmers play BF1942. Ignore graphics, look at the GAME. Think about what it did. It wasn’t about achievement-grind, breaking all the glass in small rooms whilst swearing a lot or twitch-shooting lone-wolves.
    It was a teamplay focused, multi-player, vehicle-based combat first person shooter that was FUN to play. THAT, DICE is your competition, not Call of Doody.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Samoan Spider

@10 Aw bless the baby troll trying really hard to stoke someone’s fire this morning

#12 1 year ago
  13. KineticCalvaria

@10, sorry? I don’t speak gibberish?

MAG and BF3 = games out now.
    PLanetside 2 on PC = out now, only on your beloved PC.

Oh and also, 32 players on BF3? You mean 64…

@12, its quite amusing really, I find it laughable how the PS4 is suddenly a supercomputer :).

#13 1 year ago
  14. silkvg247

Oh yeah the third thing that bugged the shit out of me, ultra low flight ceilings on most maps. I mean seriously, why even put jets on them.

#14 1 year ago
  15. backup

sorry? I don’t speak kinectimals?

Mag and BF3 both last gen game yet MAg = 256 and bf3 = 32,64 (watever)
    PS3 wins

PLanetside 2 next gen game from sony so wait it’s coming = fact
    PS4 will win

#15 1 year ago
  16. Samoan Spider

@13 I find it amusing too. It’s undoubtedly excellent at what it does and provides amazing visuals. But a supercomputer? Nah, keep dreaming sunshine.

@15 I realise your losing yourself with your own circular logic. May I remind you that up until E3, all your PS4 games were running on a PC?

#16 1 year ago
  17. backup

@12 this how u look when u were a baby looks like MS is spying on u

#17 1 year ago
  18. KineticCalvaria

@15,

‘PLanetside 2 next gen game’
    So you admit that PC is already next-gen, as Planetside 2 is already out on it?

Therefore its better than both current-gen and next-gen?

Glad we cleared that up, nice to hear some honesty out of you!

#18 1 year ago
  19. Samoan Spider

@18 I was going to point this out too. Not sure he knows what he’s going on about. He’s definitely losing it :)

And for backup (Who doesn’t capitalise their own name?) I’m just going to leave this article here for you. I’ll be skipping this though, because an I7 represents far better value as an upgrade than buying the PS4 or XBO at launch; http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/Xbox-PlayStation-Jaguar-Kaveri-HSA,news-44390.html

#19 1 year ago
  20. backup

@18 wait
    thanks for proving power of PC
    planetside 2 is not even best looking game

geez Wiiu Pimkin looks graphically better

#20 1 year ago
  21. KineticCalvaria

@20,

Oh so now PS2 isn’t a good looking game?

Must be why its coming to PS4 then!

Nice backtracking, but I’m afraid you lost :).

#21 1 year ago
  22. backup

YAY on PC it’s worst
    But on PS4 Sony will make it graphically better deal with it

u lost it again kiddo enjoy kinectimals

#22 1 year ago
  23. KineticCalvaria

@22, :D Haha okay, if you say so.

Good game, better luck next time :).

#23 1 year ago
  24. backup

Haha okay, if you say so.
    i am the Winner Sony Rules

#24 1 year ago
  25. DSB

To me DICE just feels like a company that has no real goals of their own. Beyond the tech, they seem to be following rather than leading.

They’re not making a stand for teamwork, they’re not making a stand for gameplay, they’re just making “another military shooter” with a few tech gimmicks thrown in for good measure.

BF3 was good, and it was the most enjoyable Battlefield since BF2, but it also fell well short of the ambitions that DICE had back then of actually changing the way people play.

#25 1 year ago
  26. KineticCalvaria

@25, yeah I agree, DICE were ambitious… then EA happened…

Although I can’t hold a grudge against them, they are bringing us Battlefront after all :P

#26 1 year ago
  27. DSB

@26 Fair point. I’m sure Mirror’s Edge 2 is gonna go down pretty well too!

#27 1 year ago