Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain extended E3 trailer released

Tuesday, 11th June 2013 20:34 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

The extended cut of the Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain trailer shown during the Microsoft E3 conference last night has been released by Konami. Watch it in all its glory below. MGS5 will be released on PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One, and is still without a release date.

1. grizzlycake

I wonder if there’ll be any gameplay differences between current and next gen versions.

#1 1 year ago
  2. YoungZer0

I haven’t watched that many movies with Kiefer Sutherland in them. So I barely notice when Snake is actually talking.

#2 1 year ago
  3. diego-rbb-93

Now everybody gets right what Kojima talked about “breaking taboos” on videogame.

The thing is… This is Project Ogre and not another thing I guess.

#3 1 year ago
  4. YoungZer0

I fear he’s going to mess up whatever message he’s trying to make about child soldiers, because he – again – will feel the need to satisfy the fans.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Triggerhappy

Is anyone else left wondering just what the hell Ground Zeros is then?? Surely if it was another separate game it would have been shown as well…

#5 1 year ago
  6. G1GAHURTZ

Sweet! Finally some proper compression!

X1 certainly isn’t lacking in the visuals department.

#6 1 year ago
  7. penniman

@5 Ground Zeroes is the prequel to Phantom Pain. Quite like how tanker is prequel to plant in MGS2, meaning that you buy one game that has both Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain in it. Also, in this trailer, they did show Ground Zeroes in it. Any part at Camp Omega is Ground Zeroes.

#7 1 year ago
  8. CyberMarco

From a comment on Youtube.

**POSSIBLE SPOILER**

Looks like Paz doesn’t make it. And Chico, hmm…looks like Big Boss doesn’t choke him to death after all unless this takes place way before then. Eli is Liquid Snake. 100% its Liquid Snake. “In the middle east we don’t hunt foxes, we hunt jackels”. Kids wearing Jackel teeth necklace. Plus that tag line about cursing his fate. Sounds like Liquid.

**END OF SPOILER**

I like the tone of the situation, that we are going to see the events that followed before Big Boss became the bad guy. But I feel that Kiefer Sutherland is out of place voicing Big Boss. It should have been David Hayer from the beginning.

I can’t understand Kojima-san. He stated that he wants Snake to talk less and express his feelings through emotions and facial/body expressions, I’m fine with that. He could have always used Sutherland for mo-cap and Hayet for voice-over. I think that the Japanese actor that plays the role of Big Boss is the same as before. What does this mean, isn’t Haytet up to the level to deliver such acting but the Japanese one is still up to the task?

I’m sure as hell that I’m going to buy this game, probably for the PS4. Maybe Kojima wants to introduce (**POSSIBLE SPOILER**) a young version of Solid Snake, same as Liquid mentioned above. (**END OF SPOILER**).

Oh you crazy-ass Hideo-san! :D

#8 1 year ago
  9. Max Payne

@2 He was mostly in bad movies actually.
    Except Phone boot.

#9 1 year ago
  10. YoungZer0

@8: Yep, I too think the blond kid could be Liquid.

#10 1 year ago
  11. POOP CRUSTY

Youngzero I agree that he is always trying to please fans but in all honesty I think he is actually going his own way on this one. Getting rid of hayter proves it.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Gekidami

Why is Ocelots hair greyer than Big Bosses? Is he suddenly older than him now?

#12 1 year ago
  13. DSB

That music is almost as bad as the stuff in the Dark trailer.

#13 1 year ago
  14. YoungZer0

@11: It doesn’t prove anything. He kept the original Japanese Voiceactor. MGS4 and Peace Walker were a complete and utter mess. Both looked like serious business before you actually played them.

I’m cautious to say the least.

@13: Yes, it’s terrible. It has been at least since MGS3.

“One day, you’ll feed on a tree frog!”

#14 1 year ago
  15. SlayerGT

@11 Since Sutherland sounds like he could be straight out of Call of Duty I imagine it was a move to “reach” a larger audience…while alienating his existing fans. I for one, am not pleased.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Clupula

Honestly, this looks like it could be the greatest game in the history of videogames. Combining MGS with what looks like RDR is just brilliant. I just hope the current gen versions aren’t too much of a downgrade.

#16 1 year ago
  17. silverstorm

The best game at e3 this year.

#17 1 year ago
  18. SlayerGT

@16 That’s why im so bummed about Snake. It does look fantastic. Its fucking bullshit.

#18 1 year ago
  19. YoungZer0

@15: Oh yeah, I remember he was one of the narrators in Call of Duty 3!

#19 1 year ago
  20. Hcw87

Never understood the big hype about these games, tried Guns of the Patriots and got bored after a few hours. Way too slow paced and filled with slow conversations.

I guess to enjoy these games, you need to have been with the series from the start, but it’s a bit late starting to play them over again now. The controls are just beyond bad on the HD remakes for example. Couldn’t play that for long either.

And unless this is a prequel of the entire series, i won’t understand shit about the characters and lore. Shame really.

#20 1 year ago
  21. grizzlycake

The only explanation for Kiefer being Big Boss is that he’ll play him in the upcoming MGS movie they’ve got planned. That’s also why he was recommended by Avi Arad, the producer of said movie (if it’ll ever happen). Seeing as there won’t be a Japanese version of this movie (with japanese cast and whatever) there’s no need there to change voice-actors.

I’m not saying this is a good or a bad thing, I’d rather have Hayter myself but to me that is the only plausible explanation.

As for Kiefer being the voice, I’m sure he’ll do a good job. It sounds pretty good in the trailer.

#21 1 year ago
  22. YoungZer0

@21: You sure that’s the ONLY explanation?

#22 1 year ago
  23. GwynbleiddiuM

@21 That is not the explanation at all.

@9 In what universe Melancholia is a bad Movie?

#23 1 year ago
  24. grizzlycake

@22+23 Haha, of course that’s not the only or true explanation. But to me, that seems far more plausible than “Hayter isn’t ft for mocap so we took this expensive Hollywood actor”.

#24 1 year ago
  25. backup

PS4 will be best version
    Not on PC hehehe

#25 1 year ago
  26. POOP CRUSTY

Honestly, it looks as if Snake is doing things for Kaz that he doesn’t really want to do but does because of the guilt he feels. Damn I can’t wait. The game looks almost done so maybe a late 2013/early 2014 release? Can’t wait to replay the series again!

#26 1 year ago
  27. Warp

#8 You need to understand something: Big Boss has never been a bad guy.

The only bad guys are Cypher/Patriots.

Solid Snake (in MSX and PSX games)has always been under the Patriots/Cypher orders without knowing until MGS2 when he goes freelance with Otacon.

#27 1 year ago
  28. Digital Bamboo

Game looks great. Open world MGS, a bit more mature? Fuck yeah! But that song, the the belted-out 007 intro wannabe tracks, please no more of that.

#28 1 year ago
  29. nadc

@8 and @10: At first I thought it was Solid Snake but now thinking back to MGS it makes sense for it to be Liquid.

@20 Agreed the control need streamlining because the HD edition was based on the PSP/PSX controls.

The control system for MGS4 is actually very good considering the amount of actions Snake has. The problem is Kojima has changed the control scheme every game until MGS4. By this time it was too late as too many people had sampled the awkwardness of the PSX and PSP controls.

#29 1 year ago
  30. CyberMarco

Yeah, I know that Big Boss isn’t the bad guy, but I believe that this events will lead to operation Outer Heaven, when Big Boss went rouge. Maybe Kojima wants to recreate the original games of the MSX and thus having Hayter making a return on the series again, and having Big Boss (Sutherland) and Solid Snake (Hayter) on the same game. Who knows…!

#30 1 year ago