Xbox One to enter set-top box deal with Sky – report

Thursday, 6th June 2013 10:33 GMT By Dave Cook

Microsoft is said to be entering a deal with broadcaster Sky to offer Xbox One consoles along with TV package subscriptions. Sources have claimed that Xbox One could serve as a set-top box for Sky television, or as a companion device.

MCV reports that sources close to the matter have stated that if accurate, the deal between Microsoft and Sky could see Xbox One consoles offered to subscribers at a lower price threshold.

The site adds that the deal may already have been signed and that Microsoft may announce it during its pre-E3 showcase this coming Monday. When it asked Microsoft for insight into the rumour, the company declined to comment.

This rumour certainly stacks up with what we’ve been hearing regarding Microsoft’s desire to capture a slice of the IPTV market. During the Xbox One reveal event there was a lot of talk surrounding the rig’s TV functions, and a Halo series was announced by Steven Spielberg.

Yesterday we heard from a company making Xbox Live programming that Microsoft is hungry for TV functionality and content.

What do you make of the above? Could Xbox One happily co-exists as a Sky and gaming box in one? Let us know below.

1. ps3fanboy

more tvtvtvtvtv… and no games… you just gotta loooooooove micro$haft.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Joe Anderson

Sky’s box is excellent, can’t imagine having to switch tv by shouting at it or waving my hands about like an idiot.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Dragon246

Not bad. But I surely hope they realize that all these non-gaming features wouldn’t matter squat in most countries.
    Great for some people i guess.

#3 1 year ago
  4. DrDamn

I so called this long ago.

/Googles for I told you so links …

#4 1 year ago
  5. Bam007

@1 you must’ve missed the reveal where games were shown. You also must’ve missed the countless times where they have said E3 is for the games.

#5 1 year ago
  6. aseddon130

Well thats sh**, considering Sky will want you to sign up to their internet too which is the worst internet ever.

Virgin Media all the way!

Plus, i want my console to play games not to watch TV on!

#6 1 year ago
  7. TheBlackHole

For the Xbox’s strongest markets (UK and US) these TV deals are going to be huge.

Discounted SKY packages and cheaper console?

Seriously, I expect the X1 to do some serious business. MS might be taking a risk by leaving ‘games’ until E3, but some of this entertainment stuff is going to be very, very popular.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Kalain

I think MS definitely know which direction they are heading in and, to be honest, this will be a mind changer to some people. Why have your Sky Box and PS4/PS3/360 under your TV when you can have just an X1 there?

This, in the UK, is a brilliant move by MS. I definitely know a few people who are running out of space under the TV, including myself, who would jump at this opportunity to consolidate into one box for their entertainment needs.

As I’ve said previously, this is the direction consoles are going. Changing from a games only device to a home entertainment device. You could see it with the PS3/360 with the Lovefilm/Netflix services, just that MS have took that leap forward to push the consoles into this era whilst, to me at the moment, Sony are happy to stay as a game console.

No doubt both will see what the other is doing and make additions accordingly, but if MS does have a deal with Sky for subs through the X1, then Sony will have a hell of a lot of distance to make up.

#8 1 year ago
  9. aseddon130

Sony may tie themselves up with Virgin, you never know.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Myth

@8 Couldn’t agree more.

It’s perfect positioning by Microsoft, you will end up having two identical consoles where one can replace your set top box and the other can’t. One is open for TV possibilities through the HDMI port, the other one doesn’t have the port.

It’ll be an easy choice to make for most people, and if the deal with Sky is good enough (I’m thinking real low price and a 12 month contract) you’ll get a good install base.

Seems like you purists in here think there has to be a trade off between games and TV, but that’s not the case. You have all this power in the machine, the only bad move is to NOT use it for all it is worth. And with the power inside the new consoles, they have a vast array of possibilities for things besides games.

#10 1 year ago
  11. TrickyAudio

@8 I don’t think Sony are happy to stay just as a game console. It was them who bought out PlayTV on the PS3, doing something very similar to this. I just think they’ve started off with the gamers (which is the best thing to do) to gather momentum and support, then they’ll add these sort of features to the PS4 as well. And it looks like its worked out very well for them so far given the feedback from gamers and developers.

I’m not sure I fancy my console being on all the time though. I’d have to potentially keep my Xbone on whilst also having my Sky box on and connected via HDMI in? So in theory its not an all in one box? Unless they do it through IPTV, which is basically Sky Player now anyway?

It sounds alot like when Sky first launched, and you could connect a TIVO to it to record stuff.

I’m all for having content (specific shows, movies) streamed onto my Xbox, but I don’t see the need for it to be my main TV service.

#11 1 year ago
  12. DrDamn

/smug :)

#12 1 year ago
  13. foofly

…but I don’t watch TV.

#13 1 year ago
  14. TheBlackHole

@12 lol. Fair play. Good call.

Seriously though, despite all the detractors of the X1 strategy, this is a brilliant move by MS (if true).

If they bring their A-game(s) to E3, then PlayStation really will have an uphill struggle on their hands from day one.

It’s definitely getting interesting.

#14 1 year ago
  15. ps3fanboy

we can just hope that another rrod plague would not hit. then you loose your tv and gaming… people will be waiting 3 months for a replacement and some will be on their thirteen xbone replacement. it is gonna be rough… but there is already talk about hw problems with the gpu and ui. at this late stage you think ms had their thing done, since it will go on sale in 5 months time. so this don’t look good, something is bound to break, just saying..

#15 1 year ago
  16. KAP

Electric bill a month: £40 (E.key)
    Internet bill a month: £35 (Virgin)
    Sky TV Subscription a month:: £22.50
    Xbox LIVE a year: £40

Watching my skyTV via my Xbox One: PRICELESS.

I can’t wait… It’s going to be so awesome…………….

#16 1 year ago
  17. Djoenz

This is ridiculous. UK and USA blablaba what will this provide for other EU countries aye?

USA and UK is not the centre of the world. pfff. .

#17 1 year ago
  18. Eregol

Right, so, would they do this with all TV providers? I don’t believe they can, unless they just do it as a run through system. I.e. what the HDMI In port is there for.
    I don’t believe they can include the sky tuner inside the box, it has to be done via an external run through.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Jet Black

What happens when the wife wants to watch Sky & I want to play Xbox?

#19 1 year ago
  20. Dragon246

@7,
    And yet PS3 sold more..
    US and UK are NOT the entire world.
    Just what #17 said.

@DrDamn,
    Be happy man, you are in the esteemed company of Mr. Michael Pachter :D

#20 1 year ago
  21. superjay779

I think this is a good idea. I can’t wait to watch E3. I’m sure there will be plenty of games. I can’t wait to see when they unveil their first kinect game and people start freaking out. Lol

#21 1 year ago
  22. mojo

how can it serve as a set top box for sky if it has no tuner?

#22 1 year ago
  23. BraveArse

@DrDamn… on the shoulders of giants eh? :P

#23 1 year ago
  24. LostInTheVoid

So to watch sky on your tv you need a box and be subscribed to their TV and internet package and bam Sky tv so why would I want to pay for xbone live to run Sky… which I can already do with the box I have without having to pay for an Xbone… Seems really stupid and exspensive to me.

#24 1 year ago
  25. mojo

drdamn, it cant replace your sky box because it has no tuner.

#25 1 year ago
  26. MadFlavour

Yo we heard you like greedy money grabbing scum entertainment companies.

So we put an xbox in your sky box, so now you can pay when you pay.

#26 1 year ago
  27. DrDamn

It has no tuner yet. Doesn’t mean it can’t be added in the future, or XO tech put into the standard Sky box. Tight integration with Sky is crucial to making the TV thing work. Just being able to change channels is frankly a bit rubbish – a lot more control of the Sky+ box or replacement of it is a lot more attractive.

#27 1 year ago
  28. LostInTheVoid

@27 Are you saying that sky would just chuck away their box and go Xbone only if so I’d call that a bad move.

#28 1 year ago
  29. TheLastDodo

If having the X1 as your Sky + box is MS plan sometime down the line then the X1 had better pack a 2TB HDD, minimum. I’ve got a 1TB Sky + box and I’m well over 500GB in HD TV shows and movies.

#29 1 year ago
  30. VibraniumSpork

Yeah, this was bound to happen, and it sure is a great way to shift consoles *and* Sky – they’ll be thousands of Casual Gaming Dads who use this as a way to justify the new console purchase to the Mrs or to swing a new cheap games system for the kids…especially if the subsidy’s decent.

What are we thinking? Two year minimum Sky contract, XBone for £100?

#30 1 year ago
  31. TrickyAudio

It could either be, a separate dongle like the PlayTV tuner, totally IPTV based or a pure connection between a Sky box and the Xbox via HDMI.

None of which sound that brilliant.

But a subsidized Xbox if your a Sky customer, with more content through the Xbox via the internet sounds more interesting. Like a multi-room box come gaming machine. I wouldn’t want it to replace my Sky box totally. Many issues with that.

#31 1 year ago
  32. DrDamn

Bad move by who? I’d say Sky would be losing control of a lot of stuff but it’s all good for MS. Gets them into many, many more homes and people would *see* no additional cost. It would cost them obviously, but no more than a Sky+ box would normally.

Initially I see this as tight control between XO and a regular Sky+ box. In the future I can see XO/Sky+ boxes in one single unit.

#32 1 year ago
  33. Dragon246

@32,
    “I’d say Sky would be losing control of a lot of stuff ”
    Yup. Why would any company to that?
    Besides, TV tuner would have been a great feature, would they really miss such a great thing on a reveal that so much focused on TV if they were going to implement that?

#33 1 year ago
  34. TheBlackHole

“And yet PS3 sold more..
    Because that has EVERYHTING to do with how good the X1 or PS4 will be, right?

US and UK are NOT the entire world.”
    Yes, because that’s exactly what I said, wasn’t it. I didn’t at all say IN THEIR STRONGEST MARKETS, did I?

Increasing market share in important territories is a good thing. It doesn’t mean they will be globally dominant, but then that clearly wasn’t the point I was making.

Too many fanboys online around E3. Makes dialogue such a fucking chore.

#34 1 year ago
  35. SlayerGT

@32 “Gets them into many, many more homes and people would *see* no additional cost”

And MS would be able to “see” into many more homes :) they’re going to be data mining I just know it. Its way too creepy. I cant wait till it comes out and people start packet sniffing it.

#35 1 year ago
  36. Dragon246

@34,
    I wonder if you really think MS listens to fanboys and only concentrates on their markets. The FIFA deal, the timing of the reveal, all was geared towards mainland eu. But that is not enough. Just like Sony is trying to wrestle back US from MS.
    Is that hard to understand?

“Because that has EVERYHTING to do with how good the X1 or PS4 will be, right?”
    Huh? When did I said that? Stop assuming.

My quote
    “I am waiting for the mainland europe plan though. As things stand right now, they will have an awesome biz in US and UK and lose everywhere else, not something ideal.”
    Get it? Too many fanboys roaming around at E3.

#36 1 year ago
  37. zinc

Who seriously believes you wouldn’t need the Sky Box? Of course you would.

IF their is a deal, I’d guarantee you need a full fat sky package of tv/Internet, so say £50-60 a month, which MAY also cover the cost of your subsidised xbone.

Then you need to connect the kinnect/xbone/sky box all up & enjoy your minimum 24 month contract.

#37 1 year ago
  38. AsianGameing

all this tv only work at USA , fk you xbox one (i am get PS4)

#38 1 year ago
  39. jevonski

this news doesn’t entice me at all, I’ll hold off on judging the xbox till E3 myself.

#39 1 year ago
  40. WENDiGO

I don’t think you guys are getting the point. The more they move into the entertainment business the farther they move away from gaming. We all know that Microsoft doesn’t know how to have balance. They’re using the xbox name to sell you a set-top box, sure it has their usual games but you will see as the years go by where their real focus was.

#40 1 year ago
  41. JGMR

Hahahaha. XBOX One – The Future Of Television

-achievement unlocked-

#41 1 year ago
  42. majicship

I hate Sky. Another good reason to be looking more closely at the PS4 when it comes out.

#42 1 year ago
  43. stretch215

This is brilliant! I’m starting to lean toward buying x1 (first, I plan on buying both) more and more. Lol @people talking about these companies “losing” in certain regions. Why do you care how much these consoles sell? As long as there are great games & features I don’t give a fuck about who “wins” or “loses”.

#43 1 year ago
  44. TheBlackHole

I didn’t say you said outright, but you implied it by saying ““And yet PS3 sold more..” as if that made any difference at all to how X1 will perform.

If that wasn’t the case, then I have no idea why you said it in the first place.

#44 1 year ago
  45. Malmer

@1 Feel sorry for you having to come in on every single xbox related thread and spread your juvenile hate. Why? You’re obviously not getting one anyways.

#45 1 year ago
  46. Lengendaryboss

@Malmer
    Its very simple, hes dedicated to spreading his opinion no matter how controversial.

#46 1 year ago