Fable 4 watch: job ads posted for “re-imagining” existing IP

Thursday, 16th May 2013 11:51 GMT By Dave Cook

Fable 4 could actually be a thing, following a series of new job adverts from Lionhead Studios. One particular post calls on Unreal Engine experts with experience in “re-imagining existing franchises”.

OXM spotted a job post for Animation Director, and the line about re-imagining existing franchises suggests that Lionhead is looking to give Fable – or indeed another franchise – a fresh lick of paint.

The role is for an “unannounced title” – naturally – and states, “The ideal candidate is someone who has leading industry experience on AAA titles, including large scale RPG, Action Adventure and RTS genres. The role will focus on building and guiding a team, defining and creating pipelines, establish and delivering a high visual bar that anticipates significant industry trends”.

The job adverts follow rumours that Lionhead is currently making a game using Unreal Engine 4. Check out the rumblings here.

Would you like to see Fable 4 made, or is it time for Lionhead to make something new? Let us know below.

1. Mike W

Hey Dave, (sorry this is not related to this article) that countdown for Sony’s new game is up.

#1 1 year ago
  2. NocturnalB

Favorite console game ever was Fable 1, don’t care what anyone says i hope this is good and i hope they fix what they did with it, number 3 made me a sad panda.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Dave Cook

@1 thanks man, appreciated :)

#3 1 year ago
  4. Moonwalker1982

With Molyneux gone i am very curious to see what Lionhead will do with Fable. Fable 2 was enjoyable and Fable 3 was a huge huge disappointment.

#4 1 year ago
  5. polygem

@2: i sign that. fantastic game. i also enjoyed 2. fable 3 almost made me commit suicide.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Moonwalker1982

There’s so much you can do with a franchise like this. So many new things to try out. Actually deliver on the promises that are made, don’t make the combat so simplistic, cause it was horrible in Fable 3.

#6 1 year ago
  7. NocturnalB

Same feelings here, loved 1, 2 was enjoyable, 3 was such a massive disappointment for me. I personally would love to see them go back in time. Maybe an Origins game(s). back to the times of the first Fable heck maybe even earlier, when armor had a purpose for a small example.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Moonwalker1982

Exactly man. Things were so goddamn simplistic and boring in Fable 3. BUT, not all was bad. The atmosphere was quite nice and i really digged that difficult choice early on, on who to let live, and i was hoping to see much more of those, but that never really happened. It just became a very big chore all too soon. Fable 3 was almost a kids game, but Fable is NOT a kids story, so stop treating it like it.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Gheritt White

Fable 4 will be an MMO of some description.

#9 1 year ago
  10. NocturnalB

I’m not sure how i feel about that. Back at the time when i was playing the Fables i wished for an MMORPG, i suppose if it’s in capable hands maybe.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Moonwalker1982

Yeah i’m a bit sceptical about that as well. Most of the time with MMO’s the combat is lacking bigtime. We’ll have to wait and see.

#11 1 year ago
  12. zinc

I too loved Fable, it was one of a kind. Did anyone ever find the super-weapon? I think it was a saucepan?

I never did :-(

#12 1 year ago
  13. Digital Bamboo

Experience in re-imagining existing franchises, eh? That must be a short list. Unless they mean it literally, in which case I guess I’m qualified.

#13 1 year ago
  14. joshua nash

loved fable:TLC, 2 was passible, and 3 as much as i tried to love it i just couldn’t around the time the “darkness” or whatever the hell it was shows up the game just goes south, though some would say it went south earlier then that which probably true but I like to give every game in a series the benefit of the doubt, but if this series is getting “re-imagined” then they should re-imagine it back to Fable:TLC but with better graphics and bigger explorable environments

#14 1 year ago
  15. No_PUDding

It WILL be an online game. It WILL offer microstransactions (or from a publisher perspective, cutting edge forms of monetisation).

Whether it has motion control, I don’t know.

But the first two points, will be mandatory. They will be non-negotiable parts of the design brief.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Da Man

Please stop making Fable games. It became boring in 2004.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Francis O

Sorry but Fable died to me after Fable 2. The Ending in that game sucked. There was no challenge in that game either.

Fable 3 just sucks. Too easy, boring extras that take focus off the combat. And don’t even get me started on Fable The Journey.

However, I’m interested in seeing what they do with the franchise. It’s not going to make me buy a Xbox 720, but maybe I’ll get to play it at E3 or something next year.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Da Man

Stop trolling, or I’ll complain to Pat. You need to actually contribute a thesis on Fable, MS and the world of XBox with an essential quote or two from Mgs or Final Fantasy.

#18 1 year ago
  19. fearmonkey

I loved the original Fable the best as did others here I see. That game just had a great story, great atmosphere and great drama.

Fable 2 was a let down and Fable 3 was a major let down but I still enjoyed it but not near as much.

I love the idea of visiting locations from previous games that have been changed or slightly different, especially in RPG’s. I hated though that they destroyed the guild, that just seemed a stupid decision. I wished that they would have continued a trilogy based on Jack coming back and being vanquished again.

If they can capture the magic of Fable 1 then I would be very happy.

#19 1 year ago