DUST 514 – it’s go time on PS3

Tuesday, 14th May 2013 18:15 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

CCP Games has announced the launch of DUST 514, the free-to-play, multiplayer first-person shooter on PS3.

All updates to DUST 514 come at no cost, features a path to “unlimited dropsuit fittings and customization options,” and is fully integrated with EVE Online.

Coinciding with the launch of DUST 514, CCP will be offering three new item bundles on the PSN Store:

Mercenary Pack – An updated version of the popular open beta bundle that includes 40,000 Aurum to spend in-game, a 30-day skill booster (+50%), and exclusive gear. ($19.99 / £15.99 / €19.99)

Veteran Pack – Comes with dropsuits, boosters, 100,000 Aurum, a permanent Blood Raider Acolyte vehicle, a deadly sniper rifle, and more. ($49.99 / £39.99 / €49.99)

Elite Pack – The ultimate in mercenary preparedness, the Elite Pack offers 200,000 Aurum, boosters, four dropsuits, multiple weapons, a permanent light attack vehicle, and a collection of Heavy Assault Vehicles. ($99.99 / £84.99 / €99.99)

Launch screens accompanying the press release are below.

1. No_PUDding

So my 60gb launch PS3 really wasn’t designed for downloadable games.

So when a AAA f2p game comes out, that really bums me out. Shame we don’t know how many gigabytes it is.

I only have 500mbs free anyhow.

Ugh.

Nextgen please.

2. lexph3re

You could upgrade your HDD at anytime and then download these f2p games.

3. Ireland Michael

@1 It cost me €40 to replace my old 60GB PS3 HDD with a 320GB one. It’s not exactly expensive.

Don’t expect the problem to disappear with the next gen. As the HDDs get larger, so will the size of the games.

4. No_PUDding

I’d have to transfer all my current stuff to this new drive, and then I’d have to fiddle with my backwards compatible PS3 (which I’d prefer not do).

So that’s why I am pining for nextgen.

5. lexph3re

I understand the lust for next gen. But since you actually have only about 48 gbs of concrete data in use. It would be super easy to back up your information and then transfer it over to a bigger HDD. You also could just use PSN+ for your saved data and just download everything from psn again.

6. Erthazus

I did not like it at launch, but now when they fixed major problems it’s still not what I want it to be. Too much Halo inspiration in it.

but it is a decent game and in my opinion SonyxCCP is a strong relationship.

7. klewd

This game looks absolutely awful. I don’t want to be “that guy”, but the graphics actually makes it look like a PS2 game (at best, some of the particle effects are N64-level).

It’s also unresponsive, laggy, weak feedback, monotonous art and crap lighting that makes the levels hard to read. All these problems could have been fixed if it was a PC game.

There is also a lot of texture popping and the textures are in general very low res. Why did they use UDK if this was going to be a huge open sandbox game? Why not CryEngine? Although, they could have optimized it and have it work (Borderlands 2 works quite well). The engine can do much, much better than this if optimized and used correctly.

8. Clupula

@7 – Stopped reading at All these problems could have been fixed if it was a PC game.

9. RocknRolla

Good article, shitty game :P didn’t like beta one bit, and would take too long to level up a very very big waste of time, BF4 I will pay for :)

10. klewd

You are free to point out what’s wrong with that statement. It is true because the constraints would have been less tight using a PC platform. I’m not saying it definitely would be fixed, but it could easily have been.

11. viralshag

“the graphics actually makes it look like a PS2 game”

Is this the new craze? To say games look like a PS2 game? Are you blind or did you have some sort of suped up PS2? I think you’ll find no PS2 games look like this. Please, anyone, feel free to prove me wrong and get some screens though.