UK charts: Dead Island Riptide holds firm at number one

Monday, 13th May 2013 09:09 GMT By Dave Cook

Dead Island: Riptide has claimed the top pot of the UK charts for a third week running, although its sales figures have tumbled some 55% since it launched.

The game didn’t have much competition to be fair, with only the retail edition of TellTale’s The Walking Dead and Persona 4: Arena launching. They hit ninth and eleventh respectively.

1. Dead Island: Riptide (Koch Media)
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (Activision)
  3. Tomb Raider (Square Enix)
  4. Injustice: Gods Among Us (Warner)
  5. FIFA 13 (EA)
  6. BioShock Infinite (Take-Two)
  7. Assassin’s Creed 3 (Ubisoft)
  8. Lego City Undercover: The Chase Begins (Nintendo)
  9. The Walking Dead (Telltale)
  10. Luigi’s Mansion 2 (Nintendo)

1. SplatteredHouse

Pictured: The hopes of readers.
    Also, WTF @FIFA13 :o

#1 1 year ago
  2. EsiX

whats wrong with this people ? :|

#2 1 year ago
  3. The_Red

Well done. Seriously, WTF is wrong with consumers? At least BLOPS2 is a decent sequel that TRIED new things (Most of them like Strike Force missions failed but still).

#3 1 year ago
  4. ninjanutta

dead island is so crap but got released in a perfect dead spot for games,they must be pissing themselves with laughter.also this pisses me off that tomb raider sold poorly,thats a brilliant game.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Mjorh

Another fact that shows sales got nothin 2 do with quality n stuff!

Look at the chart , Crap is 1st!

#5 1 year ago
  6. The_Red

To be fair though, the rest of list is pretty solid. BioShock, Tomb Raider, LEGO City, Injustice and of course, the good Walking Dead.

#6 1 year ago
  7. salarta

Actually none of this list says good things about the industry, except for maybe AC3 and Bioshock Infinite. Injustice is iffy depending on who you ask.

#7 1 year ago
  8. The_Red

I have to disagree. If anything, AC3 is one of the problematic games (Really rushed and full of bugs). Yet it’s still a decent game. Tomb Raider and BioShock are near masterpieces IMO. Injustice and LEGO City are surprisingly fun and rather great games full of content.

Luigi’s Mansion 2, FIFA and BLOPS 2 are solid upgrades / sequels (unlike Riptide) and Walking Dead is last year’s GOTY. I don’t know, to me this is much better than having a list with Aliens CM, Wii Fit, Gears / God of War 4234 and Sim City.

#8 1 year ago
  9. salarta

@8: This is why I said maybe for AC3, it depends on your priorities. It had bugs, but the story was still good, and the team quickly set about fixing the bugs. I can’t say too much about Bioshock Infinite, so I said maybe to that. Tomb Raider I just flat out disagree with on account of it really being an idea for a brand new IP forced where it doesn’t belong, right up there with the likes of 3rd Birthday. Injustice, I said is iffy purely because it depends on how open you are to alternate universe material, but I would assume it’s good (I’m still not touching it due to the whole Harley Quinn not being Harley Quinn but using the name anyway thing that DC Comics keeps trying to force, but that’s me).

Luigi’s Mansion 2 seems kind of meh, FIFA and Black Ops are the typical “release annually for easy money” situations that are almost entirely about gameplay and kill creativity in the industry. If the Walking Dead game is the one I tried as a demo then it was very blah, don’t see how people are considering it such a godsend. But then, I don’t see how people consider other supposed masterpieces to be masterpieces, just like I don’t get how ten years can change FFX-2 from being seen as the trash it was (gameplay mechanics aside) to some sort of great masterpiece of gaming history. Then again, we’re living in a time when Twilight is popular, so I guess standards is a dead concept these days.

#9 1 year ago
  10. The_Red

I see but even then, I think AC3 was rushed. It had some nice story touches (The early surprise with Haythem) but some of the jumps in story, the stupid incidents leading up to some pointless chase / filler missions and finally, a LOT of undercooked characters ruined it for me (Though I liked it more than last few AC games). Regarding Tomb Raider, I guess we have to agree to disagree. To me, it was the perfect TR reboot (Definitely agreed about 3rd Birthday though, it was neither a PE game or a decent title on its own).
    Gotta confess that this new Harley Quinn also bugs me to no end. Her character in the game is not too bad and not really like the new DC one but goddamit, even her alt costume is something new and pointless instead of the classic one which is only shown via some lovely drawings in the concept art pages :( ). The game is pretty dope though and has a super fun story mode.

I haven’t had much time with LM2 or FIFA but from what I hear, there are some decent improvements and overall, both of them are decent enough. As for BLOPS 2, it is actually the first COD game to try new things in a long time. The first one with some creativity (Even if mostly wasted).

Did you try the Telltale Walking Dead or the Activision / FPS one? Also,
    WTF! People are saying FFX-2 is a masterpice now? Really?

#10 1 year ago
  11. dreamcastnews

I’m glad the Walking Dead made the top 10, awesome experience.

#11 1 year ago
  12. salarta

@10: The Walking Dead one I tried is the Telltale one, same guys that made the Back to the Future game. I found both games extremely bland. I want or expect every single game on the market to be solely about slashing, stabbing, shooting, beating, etc enemies, but what I played for each game felt like a step down from the old point and click PC games.

And yep, there are people that genuinely consider FFX-2 to be a masterpiece. Lots of apologists that try to defend the “girly” (and I increasingly feel like calling it girly is an insult to girls) atmosphere as simply another form of fantasy despite being completely unlike FFX, and try to defend the utterly stupid and random personality changes of the characters as “it’s character development” and “two years passed so it’s okay.” I’ll agree that the gameplay taken on its own was good, and I can even understand the appeal of the game to some people if it was a completely brand new IP. Unfortunately, it seems like people want to have new game ideas forcibly wrapped in the packaging of old games instead of getting new games and retaining the soul of the old ones.

I think FFX-2 and growing positive response to it and forgiveness of the bad things about it shows exactly what’s wrong with our industry at its core. I can gripe about companies treating IPs poorly all I want, but ultimately it’s the consumers that are to blame for encouraging these companies to ruin their own IPs if they want to stay in business. Can’t blame a company for making a woman look like a sick sexist parody if that’s what people say they want to buy.

#12 1 year ago