Microsoft – Windows 8 licenses surpass 100 million, PC “very much alive and increasingly mobile”

Tuesday, 7th May 2013 13:34 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Microsoft has announced over 100 million licenses have been sold for Windows 8.

According to Tami Reller, the firm’s chief marketing and financial officer, the figure represents licenses which shipped on anew tablet or PC, as well as upgrades to Windows 8.

“This is up from the 60 million license number we provided in January,” she said. “We’ve also seen the number of certified devices for Windows 8 and Window RT grow to 2,400 devices, and we’re seeing more and more touch devices in the mix.”

Reller said despite the popularity of tablets and mobile devices, even those running W8, the PC is also still “very much alive and increasingly mobile.”

“The PC is also part of a much broader device market of tablets and PCs. Windows 8 was built to fully participate in this broader and increasingly mobile device market,” she explained. “The PC part of the market is rapidly evolving to include new convertible devices and amazing new touch laptops, and all-in-ones. These new PCs are hitting the market now and into the Back-to-School season, and they are more affordable than ever.”

She also said Windows Blue, a codename for an update coming later this year, will contain “new innovations across an increasingly broad array of form factors of all sizes, display, battery life and performance,” along with more options for “work and play.”

The firm’s App Store for Windows 8 is also doing rather well, apparently, as Reller said the number of available applications has increased sixfold since launch, already “passed what iOS had in store, in its first year of app development.”

The store also surpassed 250 million downloads in the first six months, and almost 90% of the catalog has been downloaded every month.

1. G1GAHURTZ

Windows 8 is DOOMED!!!

…oh wait.

#1 1 year ago
  2. The Auracle

Frankly, those are impressive numbers for anyone to be posting. I’m seeing more and more evidence fly in the face of those that think Windows 8 flopped… yet still, haters gon’ hate.

#2 1 year ago
  3. actuallyisnotafox

well to be fair they are forcing this :/ i mean go on most pc selling websites and 70% have been ‘upgraded’ to Windows 8

#3 1 year ago
  4. Samoan Spider

Yup, impressive figures indeed considering everyone was calling it the death knell of Microsoft. From what I was reading of Blue earlier, it seems they may actually be listening to criticism as well. Who knew!

#4 1 year ago
  5. Hirmetrium

Don’t get me wrong, but my PC isn’t suddenly going to get more mobile nor is it going to sprout a touchscreen. Windows 8 holds nothing for me that windows 7 doesn’t currently provide, and will if anything make it more difficult.

I still don’t understand what Microsoft is offering me, and older steadfast desktop customer. So far the answer is a resounding “LALALALALALALA WE’RE NOT LISTENING JUST LOOK AT OUR SALES FIGURES!”.

Anyone care to expand on “Blue”?

#5 1 year ago
  6. Tech-N9ne

Forcing?

If they are forcing windows 8, then they were forcing Windows 7, Vista and every other version of windows ever released.

I like how you guys come up with these silly theories.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Samoan Spider

@5 Blue is supposed to be a faster release cycle in the style of OSX and cheaper updates as opposed to the current system of large scale and costly upgrades done slowly. Also, there are strong hints that they are bringing back the Start menu as it should be. Although Start8 has been doing the job for me just fine.

#7 1 year ago
  8. G1GAHURTZ

@5:

Blue is basically Windows 8.1.

#8 1 year ago
  9. laughing-gravy

100 million licenses sold means to OEM’s. Not the paying public. As for the PC doing well why are sales figures down 13.9 per cent in a single quarter? This is just marketing bull to try and cover-up the disaster that is Win8. Not convinced at all.

#9 1 year ago
  10. G1GAHURTZ

^ 100 million disasters…

#10 1 year ago
  11. laughing-gravy

@10 Which people haven’t actually bought. They’re sitting in the OEM’s warehouses.

#11 1 year ago
  12. salarta

These numbers don’t actually mean anything when you take into account how sales of already built computers actually work.

They come pre-loaded with operating systems. Usually, you have no choice BUT to get a computer with the most recent operating system installed. If there IS a choice, you have to pay extra for it. Like, $80-100 extra. So, here are a consumer’s alternatives: pay extra for a different OS IF the option is available, or buy all the parts and build their own computer. I would include “install a different OS,” but if you’re buying a pre-built computer, you’re going to be paying for the OS license that comes with the PC anyway.

If Windows 8 had actual competition in the marketplace, the 100 million mark would be impressive. They don’t. The closest they have to competition is Mac, which costs a lot more money and isn’t as familiar to many people. And while some people might be able to list a few sites where you can choose a different OS without extra cost, being able to list a few sites doesn’t make every site operate that way.

#12 1 year ago
  13. G1GAHURTZ

@11:

Speculative effort, there.

#13 1 year ago
  14. lexph3re

I like Windows 8 and as of now for a OS that is compatiable across 3 different platforms 100 million is kinda low, FOR an OS. I would like it to be successful for when I build my PC in the next couple years.

If not I’ll just use a plasma interface for a unix kernal that will be touch enabled. Hope things pan out though MS, 720 might help with the software distribution and compatiability in a few months so just stick in there

#14 1 year ago
  15. G1GAHURTZ

If Windows 8 had actual competition in the marketplace

You mean like iOS and Android? Because lets face it, they are almost certainly the biggest threats to MS.

…hence the Windows 8 UI overhaul.

#15 1 year ago
  16. laughing-gravy

@13 Not speculative, what part of PC sales are down 13.9 per cent in a single quarter do you not understand? That’s in a single quarter not a whole year. The MSoft maths just don’t add up.

#16 1 year ago
  17. G1GAHURTZ

^ Where is the contradiction?

How does a percentage of lower PC sales mean that MS can’t have sold 100m copies?

Do you even know what 13.9% actually means, in terms of a real number?

#17 1 year ago
  18. Phasmatis75

Licenses are not the same as activations. Companies need to continously buy more licences as they produce more products. That doesn’t mean those products are selling, only the activation numbers will show how well Windows 8 is selling.

#18 1 year ago
  19. laughing-gravy

@17 13.9 per cent in terms of global PC sales means one hell of a lot. And bearing in mind that the figure is for a single quarter that figure is even more shocking. Even the VP of IDC confirmed all of that. And your trying to tell me that actual sales of Win8 licences have increased by almost 50% since January. No matter how hard you try you won’t convince me that this isn’t bulls***. It has a very distinct bovine aroma to it.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Djoenz

Also touchscreen laptops/pc’s are dandy and all but they are sure as hell not affordable for me!

Way too expensive. I liked the idea of having one…I bought a regular EasyNote instead.

#20 1 year ago
  21. DSB

Still a lot slower than Vista. I don’t see how that’s a win.

They keep their heads above water, but they’re still taking steps back, not forward.

But of course it’s better to just do a press release without any context.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Samoan Spider

@19 I think you’re missing the point. I take what you’re saying about a drop in PC sales and therefore production, but given that Win8 is available and marketed as an upgrade (ie. cheap if done through the activation tool) I find it hard to apply the logic that only new PC’s are affecting the sales for the reason that despite a decrease in production, MS see an increase in license sales.
    However, with VLK agreements and other types of license sales, it’s hard to see the true figure. A lot of it could be masked by academic institutions and companies with a true number of activations not publicised.

#22 1 year ago
  23. deadstoned

Counting Windows OEMs I bet.

#23 1 year ago
  24. laughing-gravy

@22 It’s because MSoft won’t release the activation figures so that tells me a lot. They hold an iron fisted monopoly over the whole supply chain so they could just tell us any old cr** and we have to take it as read. Until MSoft releases all of the figures I’ll take anything they say with a large pinch of salt.

#24 1 year ago
  25. sg1974

How many of them are like me, and wish to high heaven that they could turn back the clock and get Windows 7 back because 8 is a fucking abomination?

#25 1 year ago
  26. G1GAHURTZ

@19:

Indeed, as Samoan Spider points out, we don’t actually know what percentage of this number comes from where.

Including upgrades.

Lower PC sales could actually have zero impact, whatsoever, on Windows 8 licenses.

We recently surpassed the 100 million licenses sold mark for Windows 8. This number includes Windows licenses that ship on a new tablet or PC, as well as upgrades to Windows 8.

#26 1 year ago
  27. laughing-gravy

That huge drop in PC sales means the market is depressed. Hence no one will be buying upgrades to an operating system that they don’t even like. Surely the fact that MSoft won’t release the activation figures should tell you something. Even Vista gave a boost to PC sales but this is the first time an OS has actually slowed the market. As for their tablet aspirations they have around a 1.8% market share which is pretty terrible. I’m sorry but the arithmetic just doesn’t make sense.

#27 1 year ago
  28. Samoan Spider

@27 I upgraded for £25. No problems with compatibility for me. I haven’t seen it as a bad investment for either my PC or laptop, so there’s 2 copies for my household. Now, there are between (depending on information source) 1 and 2 billion PCs active in the world. So if they’ve sold an upgrade to 5-10% of that, I think its fairly realistic.

#28 1 year ago
  29. Erthazus

In my opinion Windows 8 is ok. Not a revolution or evolution. It just exists and that’s all.
    For many people there is no reason to upgrade at all.

Microsoft should release Direct X12 and some new tools and then it’s going to be cool.

Market is depressed because really the last revolution was with Windows XP. Windows XP is still good even today and a lot of people still use it to this day. Windows Vista was a failed evolution and Windows 7 was a gigantic patch to Vista and no one need something more then W7.

#29 1 year ago
  30. laughing-gravy

@28 I’m sorry but you are very much in the minority. Just because you did it, it doesn’t mean 100 million other people did. Remember the market has slowed. More and more people are turning to IOS and Android devices. OEM’s are abandoning Windows to produce tablets powered by Google’s OS in record numbers. And MSoft still won’t release all the figures. The markets and other evidence just doesn’t support the claims they are making. So excuse me if I don’t believe them.

#30 1 year ago
  31. G1GAHURTZ

I also have 2 copies.

One for my laptop (desktop replacement), which I upgraded to, and I also have one of these: http://www.cnet.com/laptops/samsung-ativ-smart-pc/4505-3121_7-35511640.html

I’m pretty happy with Windows 8 on both, so far, and I’m hoping 8.1 will make things even better.

#31 1 year ago
  32. Djoenz

An i5 laptop for 1k nice purchase NOT!
    You basically just paid a lot extra just for touchscreen…wow..

Hope you happy with your wasted money :P

#32 1 year ago
  33. Samoan Spider

@30 What you’re talking about is a slowing hardware market, but they are talking about a growing sale of a particular software product. I fail to see how the two are as intricately linked as you suggest. You know how we come on here and batter microtransactions, DLCs and even entire games yet they sell shitloads? Well it’s kind of the same with this. I know we should always take these figures with a pinch of salt, but look at it another way, if they misrepresent the figures and down the line the bump up in share prices becomes a bump down because the lie comes out, shareholders can actually sue them so before the kneejerk ‘M$ must be lying!’ we should consider accountability and how it can affect companies. What I’m saying is by lying they don’t gain and by getting caught they lose.

@32 A waste of money would’ve been buying a 128gb iPad instead. At least he got a decent product for his money.

#33 1 year ago
  34. G1GAHURTZ

@32:

LOL!

Actually, I paid for a fully functioning, touch screen, tablet PC that has a built in 3G sim slot.

I recently bought 12 months of unlimited 3G data, so I’m connected pretty much 24 hours a day on it.

No need to look for wifi, or stick in a USB modem.

I was finally able to ditch my iPad, for something with similarly convenient attributes, but much more capable.

#34 1 year ago
  35. laughing-gravy

@33 Are you honestly trying to say that MSoft have never lied. They are masters at it. Now the dilemma I have here is your asking me to take your word over market professionals who have trained for years at university to be economists etc. Anyone can see that the figures just don’t back MSoft up. After all I wouldn’t ask my doctor to fix my plumbing would I? I can’t say any fairer than that.

#35 1 year ago
  36. fearmonkey

I own Windows 8 but dislike it, and use my dual booted Windows 7 instead. Its completely ridiculous I have to mod version 8 just to have the feel of Windows ive enjoyed since 95. I understand the future requires different designs and touchscreens, leap or kinect like devices, or touchpads are the future. They should have given their users the option they refused, dictating what we have to use, and that just ticked me off. MS should have given us a choice and no one would have complained, and gradually people would have been more accepting for windows 9.

#36 1 year ago
  37. Djoenz

Dont get me wrong I want one too, but not for that insane price :(

#37 1 year ago
  38. Samoan Spider

@35 No way, I’m not suggesting that they have never lied, but with things like this where a company rep is outwardly announcing product sales, things like this have such massive repercussions when it comes to shareholders its hard to see what it would be worth to them. I’m an armchair analyst so my opinion isn’t important to anyone but me, but where I don’t get what you’re saying is when you refer to analysts. I may be missing the articles but I can see nothing of the sort suggesting what you’re suggesting. Because calling a company a liar (essentially what you’re doing) is called libel when proved false and I can’t see any professionals trained or otherwise putting their name to that.
    I take your point that you would ask your doctor to do your plumbing though, but that goes both ways.

#38 1 year ago
  39. laughing-gravy

@38 Because they are sales of licences to OEM’s not activation figures from real customers. It’s not exactly a lie but it’s not exactly honest either, that way they can cover their backs when the real figures come out. As for me libeling MSoft they can sue me. And the sales of hardware and software are intrinsically linked because the markets are blaming Win8 for the slowdown. It doesn’t matter what way you spin it the evidence doesn’t support these figures.

#39 1 year ago
  40. Samoan Spider

@39 But that’s the point. Companies have worked like that for years. Sony tells us how many millions of PS3′s they sold, but very much unlike Apple who can tell us exactly how many devices they sold. MS isn’t a retail front so that’s wholesale figures. You’re right though, it’s not a lie and maybe it’s an uncomfortable way of giving out details, but it’s been business for a long time. I still don’t see evidence though, that’s my problem with what you’re saying. I have an MS rep telling us what’s been sold, and see opinion pieces telling us they don’t believe it, but not one single person is giving us facts. Now that goes both ways too. There’s no evidence to refute these figures either.

#40 1 year ago
  41. laughing-gravy

@40 I know all big business does it, why do you think I’m so cynical. It’s just that MSoft does it more than anyone else, research the FUD wars between them and IBM. The evidence comes from the IDC, market watchers at CNN and just about every other major news outlet in north America. Of course MSoft can buy themselves good press (again every other big business does it) but until they release all of the figures including activation, then I wont believe a word they say. I still haven’t forgiven them for the millenium bug scam!

#41 1 year ago
  42. DSB

Have you seen the ads though? It’s just beyond bad.

Granted, now the adoption seems to be picking up, but that campaign is one of the worst I’ve ever seen.

They show some fucked up hipster band dancing around with a few quick shots of apps that might as well be Android or iOS.

It doesn’t even attempt to stay on target. “We are Microsoft, we fully expect you to spend money on this shit without thinking for a second”.

#42 1 year ago
  43. sh4dow

Might also wanna mention this:
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/100713593 ( Microsoft Prepares U-Turn on Windows 8 )

#43 1 year ago