Fire Emblem: Awakening DLC censored in US and EU due to overexposed posterior

Friday, 3rd May 2013 18:34 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Summer Scramble, the latest DLC released for Fire Emblem: Awakening, has been reportedly edited by Nintendo in North America and Europe due to it showing off the bottom-most part of Tharja’s buttocks.

Her derriere isn’t censored in Japan, obviously, because there are shots of it over on IGN and NeoGAF.

The edited version shows a curtain of sorts covering the offending behind.

Nothing else in the DLC was censored, apparently, and honestly, the censored version looks more suggestive to me. The uncensored image just shows a bit of butt-cheek. Oh well. Protect the children and all that.

Nintendo has yet to comment on the matter.

1. lexph3re

she don’t even have a booty

#1 12 months ago
  2. redwood

haha awesome markup steph!!!

#2 12 months ago
  3. Neuromancer

What the…!?

#3 12 months ago
  4. SameeR_Fisher

LOL

#4 12 months ago
  5. Clupula

Ah, Nintendo! Eternally refusing to accept that adults do play videogames and we don’t need protecting from ourselves.

#5 12 months ago
  6. Erthazus

For the children!

#6 12 months ago
  7. Dragon246

@Redwood,
    Same here, awesome markup :D

Surely, seeing a bit of skin is more harmful to children than headshoting each other, isn’t that right?
    Ninty really works very hard to save its family friendly image, no wonder Wii U games weren’t ready on time, since they didn’t assign enough people to censor HD butts and boobs :P

#7 12 months ago
  8. Dark

Well it’s Nintendo after all so no surprise.

#8 12 months ago
  9. salarta

One of the many reasons Nintendo is screwed in the future as a hardware company. There’s a reason comic book companies don’t give a shit about the Comics Code Authority anymore, and while not quite the same situation, this is similar.

#9 12 months ago
  10. zinc

Judging the flak Dragon Crown has received I imagine the WESTERN version was censored because western audiences are just so easy to offend.

#10 12 months ago
  11. monkeygourmet

Nintendo have forgotten Justin Bailey!!!! :D

#11 12 months ago
  12. Stephany Nunneley

@2 HA! Thanks. My hand is not that steady in PS. I promise my penmanship is better than that :)

#12 12 months ago
  13. Clupula

@9 – I must admit that I am surprised that you, of all people, are against this. I’m going to remember this article when you freak out when Jill and Claire are wrestling each other in just panties in RE7.

#13 12 months ago
  14. Christopher Jack

Censored one looks like she’s pulling her panties down because they covered half her hand. Normal one looks like she’s fixing a wedgie.

#14 12 months ago
  15. Old MacDonald

Oh no, I accidentally glanced at the offensive one and now I have to wash my eyes with soap. Again. Dammit.

#15 12 months ago
  16. Lengendaryboss

“Mommy i was just browsing, Mommy where are you going? you forgot to buy me Fire Emblem: Awakening DLC, stands there pouting.” :D

#16 12 months ago
  17. Bringit

This would be because of age ratings, right? Europe and the US are more strict on sexualised imagery compared with Japan. It would have been to guarantee a slightly lower age rating.

#17 12 months ago
  18. salarta

@13: I won’t care when Jill and Claire are seen wrestling each other in just panties in RE7. The series is B-movie quality stuff, when you sign on for B-movie, you get B-movie. Now, I’ll probably care if Jill and Claire wrestle in panties because they’ve been rewritten as immature twelve year olds in adult bodies that need a man or Ada Wong to protect them from all the big scary monsters. But somehow, I don’t think Capcom would sink as low as Squeenix did for several projects.

My comment above aside, I agree that the “safe” image comes off more risque. It leaves your imagination to work out the idea, and the idea could easily be “she’s decided that bikini bottoms are for pansies!”

#18 12 months ago
  19. tatsujin

I hate this.

#19 12 months ago
  20. dizzygear

Actually the EU version has even more retarded censorship.

#20 12 months ago
  21. Digital Bamboo

^A) The quotation from the US version is hilarious (and makes me wonder what the Japanese original said.)

B) The European version of ANYTHING was censored more than the US? What is the world coming to?

C) I’ve just now realised that the comparison image says, “Safe” not “Saké”

#21 12 months ago
  22. Stephany Nunneley

@20 “boingy bits”…… I seriously lol’d at that. I will have to use that sometime. :)

#22 12 months ago
  23. Bomba Luigi

Thats… totaly harmless. But it dosn’t really matter that its censored, its just confusing.

#23 12 months ago
  24. NeutralBlade

She’s fully clothed, and kids are exposed to a lot more than that on standard network TV. It’s rated T for Teen, but yet, a non-exposed ass is supposedly “too hot” for gaming. It’s pretty ridiculous in my opinion.

#24 12 months ago
  25. Lengendaryboss

Nintendo Have to keep up their friendly family image.

#25 12 months ago
  26. NeutralBlade

@25 Well that’s true, but the censorship contradicts the rating. If it was rated E, then I would understand the decision to censor.

#26 12 months ago
  27. Carlos Roberto

“Nothing else in the DLC was censored, apparently, and honestly, the censored version looks more suggestive to me”

The problem is, this is the only scene in the game that Tharja booty is gloriously exposed. Without this scene, Nintendo just destroyed what millions os fans always wanted to see…

“The uncensored image just shows a bit of butt-cheek.”

You say like this is something trivial. Isn’t.

#27 12 months ago
  28. salarta

From now on, we should exclusively refer to female breasts as “boingy bits.”

“And the babe did thus suckle upon her resplendent boingy bits.”

#28 12 months ago
  29. Carlos Roberto

I prefer the word “boobs”.

#29 12 months ago
  30. Clupula

@27 – While I’m against the censorship, if millions of fans ALWAYS wanted to see the ass of this one particular woman who doesn’t really exist, then those millions of fans should probably go out and meet real women.

They’re a lot better than pixels. Trust me on that.

#30 12 months ago
  31. Carlos Roberto

@30 – If millions of fans always wanted to see Tharja ass, it’s simply because they always wanted to see Tharja ass.

Tharja doesn’t exist in real life so where you will see her ass if not in the Fire Emblem games? Also fan-art never feels as good as canon art.

#31 12 months ago
  32. Clupula

Uh…I’m talking about, you know, women. The real ones. The female humans. The ones you see walking down the street with the boingy bits.

It’s a videogame character. Seeing her naked, while nice, should not be a goal for anyone. Life is short. Maybe people should, oh, I dunno, aim higher. As I said, there are actual flesh and blood women out there.

No, really. I’ve met them. I’m not kidding. Some of them even…gasp…might want to show you their parts. I KNOW! It’s crazy! But it happens!

#32 12 months ago
  33. Arc

@28 – From now on, we should exclusively refer to female breasts as “mammary glands”.

“And the male specimen had physical contact with her mammary glands, during the act of copulation.”

#33 12 months ago
  34. Clupula

@33 – Is he Ted Bundy? Aren’t the glands usually IN the breast, not the breast itself?

#34 12 months ago
  35. Digital Bamboo

@34 – I think he meant mammaries.

Also, how did this turn into a conversation about breasts? The article was about buns.

I will concede, however, that “boingy bits” is rather open to interpretation.

#35 12 months ago