Batman: Arkham Origins aiming for a film noir look

Thursday, 2nd May 2013 22:45 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Warner Bros. Montreal wants Batman: Arkham Origin’s lighting to emulate classic film noir techniques.

The developer aimed for a high-contract, low key lighting effect, art director Jeremy Price told GameInformer in a video interview.

Shadows are exaggerated, and silhouettes and profiles are in focus. Price described this as reflecting the “dark and gritty” world of Arkham.

Arkham’s darker side is also reflected in its decorations; although Arkham Origins is set during Christmastime, each region has its own take on holiday cheer and some of them are not quite as pleasant as you may expect.

Batman: Arkham Origins is expected on PC, PlayStation 3, Wii U and Xbox 360 in October.

Thanks, Siliconera.

1. BD

Arkham Origins confirmed for SWEAR TO ME

#1 1 year ago
  2. FeaturePreacher

I wonder if this means there will be blood. I hope so. But, this is Warner Bros. They don’t seem like they’re aware that even kids aren’t afraid of blood these days. Moreover, I hope there’s new game +, and the ability to play the game with an undamaged uniform.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Hunam

Until you mentioned blood, I didn’t even realise the game lacked it. I’ve always seen the games as brutally violent because of the slow mo swing punches where someone gets really, really hurt.

I don’t think adding blood to the game will add anything. I’d rather they leave it out.

#3 1 year ago
  4. salarta

Horrible things happening on Christmas has increasingly become a cliche. That doesn’t mean it can’t be interesting, just that murders, killing sprees, torture, etc on Christmas aren’t shocking ideas like they undoubtedly were 50 years ago.

#4 1 year ago
  5. YoungZer0

@3: Yeah, the game was brutal enough without the blood. Doesn’t really add anything.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Samoan Spider

Please don’t try to ‘keep it fresh’ or ‘broaden its appeal’ or any of that marketing shite. Just tweak and improve on what has gone before. The Arkham games have had an excellent formula.

#6 1 year ago