Sony doubles profit forecast for FY’13, full report expected May 9

Thursday, 25th April 2013 11:18 GMT By Dave Cook

Sony has confirmed that its financial report for the year ended March 31st 2013 will go public on May 9, and the company has confirmed its profit projection for the year has doubled.

GI.biz reports that Sony’s profit forecast leaped from ¥20 billion ($201 million / £130 million) to ¥40 billion ($403 million / £261 million).

The increase suggests that the deprecation of the yen and the strong performance of Sony’s financial services division has helped boost the company’s profit as a whole.

Sony’s operating income forecast has risen from ¥130 billion to ¥230 billion, following the sale of its shares in M3, and the consolidation of three Asian offices into one division.

We’ll have more once the May 9 report drops.

1. ps3fanboy

sony is back!… and yet again a force to be reckoned with. nintendon’t is outta the game and xboxfanboys are just gonna have to accept their second place.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Zarckan

I think you’ve got the wrong word in there somewhere :-D

“from ¥230 billion from ¥130 billion”

#2 1 year ago
  3. Zarckan

You can’t say that about Nintendo, as they’re still profiting. If ANY company is making ANY profit, then they are doing good, if they make/post a Loss then they’re doing bad.

Nintendo recently posted a LOWER then EXPECTED profit, that doesn’t mean they’ve made a loss. Just not as high a profit as expected.

#3 1 year ago
  4. ps3fanboy

@3 They sat on the Wii for so long and got caught off guard with the advent of the smartphone. They lost both the core gaming audience and mobile. Then the Wii U was a rushed and become a totally flopped attempt and complete failure. Their future is in software only, but even that won’t last. How long can the people be awe by yet again a rehash of the Mario games?, i will tell you this, not much longer. Nintendo seems to have a real disconnect with Western Media and Gamers. If they’re doing what they have planned to do at this year E3, to simply save money. Or because they don’t have anything to show, then they are really done.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Beta

Good financial news from Sony?! Is it a very late April Fool? ;)

#5 1 year ago
  6. Erthazus

Of course they are good.

they sold two buildings.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Samoan Spider

@6 This.

Don’t forget they sold assets and restructured. Makes a massive difference to the bottom line. When the full report lands we will be able to quantify that difference. Its good news that they are far more liquid than they have been of late.

#7 1 year ago
  8. aleph31

^^ – This. They just did some make-up thanks to those buildings

#8 1 year ago
  9. ps3fanboy

SUCK IT UP YOU CRANKY NINTENDON’T AND XBOXFANBOYS! YOU BOTH GOT OWNED BY SONY!

#9 1 year ago
  10. Tech-N9ne

So, the entire Sony Cooperation makes about the same profits as Microsoft Entertainment division? Not good.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Dave Cook

#11 1 year ago
  12. viralshag

Given the history of Sony, I have no doubt they will invest a ton of money into some unprofitable tech that no one wants to get them back to the poor state they were in before.

Someone just needs to build a little hype for 4D TV and movies and I’m sure we’ll see it implemented into their TVs sooner or later.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Beta

I think it’s fairly transparent that he’s a “ps3fanboy” Dave ;P

#13 1 year ago
  14. CyberMarco

@11 – I wonder what else has to be done to start some proper moderation in this site…

#14 1 year ago
  15. Samoan Spider

@11 Haha

@9 Do you understand economics? I suspect not. And just to fuck you off, as #10 says, one MS division made the same money in the quarter up to March 31st. With a total of $20.5 billion.

#15 1 year ago
  16. aleph31

@14 I was pretty shocked to hear Ireland Michael on the forums stating that VG24/7 doesn’t care at all about the commenters (community?) here, so I don’t know if that’s going to happen :(

#16 1 year ago
  17. Yoshi

@14 +1 Seriously he’s obviously trying to bait people into an argument..and always seems to be doing this. I’m a fan of Sony but primarily gaming on PC but his behaviour is just childish.

#17 1 year ago
  18. ps3fanboy

@16 Ireland Michael know there are a few stuck ups here. he dont see any wrong with people popping their pink bobble world of fantasy. so they and you can wake up to the real world. sony will bring the goods this gen and this have been shown a long time now. nintendo is withdrawing and microsoft is focusing more on tv and socials media than games. its a given that sony that are here for the games and gamers, will be on top of their business.

you live in a pink bobble world of fantasy, and i just popped it. wake up and smell the reality!

#18 1 year ago
  19. aleph31

Also the lack of reaction from any of the VG24/7 staff in that thread basically confirms what Ireland Michael mentioned. This approach is sadly in clear contrast to other sites (like Touch Arcade) where the featured content is driven by their community / forums (which is only a small fraction of their total visitors)

#19 1 year ago
  20. aleph31

@18 oh dear how old are you? (the younger the better, so you will have more chances to rehash your mind and grow)

#20 1 year ago
  21. Dave Cook

@Everyone Hello, I would love some proper moderation on here, seriously I would, and when it comes to the community helping us create content it happens a lot. We get tips from you guys often and we use them too, you’ll see readers credited at the bottom of pieces.

As for moderation. It’s no secret we’re working towards relaunching a new site. It will happen when it’s done, and it will have more moderation and control over what goes on in the threads. Until then we’re left with what WordPress allows.

Add to that the fact that we don’t have much staff, we’re a 24-hour rolling news site that is constantly swamped with content and the fact that Pat is currently off on holidays and there’s not much we can do to be everywhere at once.

I can only ask for a little bit more patience, because the new site should address all your concerns and be generally awesome all round.

Hope this helps.

Dave

#21 1 year ago
  22. ps3fanboy

@17 let me remind you…. nintendo have withdrawn and microsoft is focusing more on tv and socials media than games. sony are here for the games and gamers. it is a fact not an argument and if you have bother reading vg247, you would have known that by now.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Samoan Spider

@22 Citations please.

@Dave, that is excellent news. Thank you for taking the time to respond. Hopefully the troll hunting can begin with the new site.

#23 1 year ago
  24. dtyk

I believe one of the buildings should’ve already been reflected in the Q1 reports. Also, profit projections are most likely filed separately from sales of assets, though this depends on how Sony prepares their financial report.

Though, this does suggest that they are getting pretty confident about their futures, which is good news for fans and consumers in general.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Dave Cook

@23 thank you. I am aware of the issues and I do see them, there’s just not much we can do with the tools at hand. The new site will be a vast improvement however.

#25 1 year ago
  26. aleph31

@Dave thanks a lot for the info. I was just really (and sadly) surprised that a response similar to yours here was not given in that thread.

I also appreciate your work a lot guys, I’ve been following this site for three years without missing an article, and I really hope this site makes you all as wealthy as a gaming news site can be, so you can hire more staff and not end up into some Team Bondi crazy working conditions.

#26 1 year ago
  27. ps3fanboy

@21 there is nothing wrong here and nothing need moderating. if people are not allowed to discuss or say what they want. what do you have?.. nothing. you want to go with censorship, because a few don’t agree with others, then good luck with that place. a lot of people wouldn’t bother come visit and you can kiss your adverts income goodbye. i come here for the news and most for the free speech that are given people. that is what makes vg247 good. i for sure dont come here to read comments made by a bunch of yes men and butt kissers….

#27 1 year ago
  28. woe

You keep selling them buildings Sony.

#28 1 year ago
  29. aleph31

@27 If that helps you, I would never mod you out, people like you are part of the charm of this site :). But of course some other times I’ve seen here posts that cleary crossed the line, with abundant and harsh/brutal insults directed to other commenters.

#29 1 year ago
  30. powerbuoy

I think using something like Disqus could help improve the comments section as users can up/down-vote comments as well as report spam.

That said one of the reasons I come here more than any other site is because of the community. Look at IGNs comment section for example – it’s almost as bad as Youtubes.

Nice to hear you’re working on a new site. I hope it won’t be too bloated, really like that the current site is so simple and quick to load.

#30 1 year ago
  31. Beta

I’m sorry but “SUCK IT UP YOU CRANKY NINTENDON’T AND XBOXFANBOYS! YOU BOTH GOT OWNED BY SONY!” is not a valid opinion. It’s blatant trolling/baiting.

#31 1 year ago
  32. G1GAHURTZ

^ Just ignore him.

As soon as you see his username, scroll down to the next message.

You know exactly what he’s going to say in every single one of his comments. He has a one track mind, and nothing of genuine interest to share, so why keep reading what he writes?

#32 1 year ago
  33. Dragon246

@Dave,
    Good to hear that. The site has lately become infested with fanboys from all sides, with no points to make and just insulting other users. Hopefully new site will have proper modding. One of the reasons I don’t seldom comment now.
    Btw, DO NOT USE DISQUS PLEEEAAASE. It sucks and just makes prevents discussions, just look at IGN and other disqus using sites.

#33 1 year ago
  34. Dave Cook

@26 & 30 Thanks guys. I’m sure we’ll poll you guys in some capacity about what you want to see from us. I wish I could tell you more, but we’re not at that stage just yet.

Hope you can all bear with us until then :)

Dave

#34 1 year ago
  35. ps3fanboy

@26 i will tell you this if sony gets a beating i take it as a man, i dont whine about it. if you cant handle free speech on a sit about your favorite games,platform or company i suggest you dont read and participating.

#35 1 year ago
  36. aleph31

@32 +1000. Please if either you Dave or any other VG24/7 is listening, do not go the feature creep / featuritis route (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feature_creep). This site is very easy to follow and read, adding mod tools would be awesome (in my case I would suggest very light moderation, directed only towards insults etc. and not towards the irritating but also sometimes funny rants associated to the inevitable fanboy console wars).

But please do not bloat it with a complex structure / lots of subsections etc., the site rocks as it is now :)

#36 1 year ago
  37. Beta

@32 Completely true. I don’t normally read his (or other users I could name) comments and I shan’t in the future.

#37 1 year ago
  38. aleph31

@35 I think you should read my comment on @29, calm down man! :)

#38 1 year ago
  39. ps3fanboy

@32 oh yeah… how can you know exactly what i am going to say in every single one of my comments. when you are ignoring them?, you shouldnt talk about things you dont know about, its common sense.

#39 1 year ago
  40. Dave Cook

@36 noted pal, many thanks. I think keeping it quick is the key, given our news-centric nature. That will definitely not change :)

#40 1 year ago
  41. Joe Musashi

To the “lol selling buildings lol” business analysts in the room. Please note the difference between selling a lease and selling a building. They’re not the same thing.

As for discussion platforms, Discourse is a new and promising looking one that can integrate with front-page articles quite nicely. It’s in use at How To Geek if you want to see it in action.

JM

#41 1 year ago
  42. ps3fanboy

@38 ok i see… to put it straight once and for all i’m not here to brutal insults others on a personal level. i don’t deny i like playstation and i’m here to discuss games, platforms etc. it can get rough and i am not afraid to tango for two in the discussion thread. i base my facts on the news articles i read here at vg247. that is the honest truth.

#42 1 year ago
  43. aleph31

@40 np man, thanks for being here, all the best to you and VG24/7 :)

#43 1 year ago
  44. polygem

that´s great news dave. i think the site (awesome as it is) needs a redesign. like aleph, i think some light moderation would be enough but something must indeed happen. good that you are aware of this. i am actually optimistic now :) i love this page but recently…it also became a place that turned me off frequently. light moderation here and there could make a huge difference. if the herd get´s too big you just need a good dog that barks from time to time ;)

now let´s hope some guys will return…

#44 1 year ago
  45. Dave Cook

@43 & 44 Thanks guys, it means a lot. Even if we don’t show it by being busy, we really do appreciate you guys sticking around and getting involved. Hopefully we can make that appreciation more visible with the new site somehow.

Either way it’s an exciting time :)

#45 1 year ago
  46. redwood

having a hight liquidity is a good thing for any business, that’s what jobs did when he came back to power. So i think kaz is taking “some” of the right steps, now.. comparing sony with M$ is as stupid as it gets.. m$ are huge..but i don’t mind that, i like sony cause of the way they handle their audience…so all i want is for them to keep making profit. M$ can keep making xbox too all the power to them, but Sony needs to readjust and restructure so that they don’t end up with the same problems they had before.In short, this is good news regardless of what people think, in this economy A company like sony having a good liquidity is as good a sing of progress in the right direction as it gets.
    so kaz-ma-man sell a couple more of your buildings and QUIT making tvs and phones which don’t sell.

#46 1 year ago
  47. DSB

“Financial services” means their insurance and banking subsidiaries. Ergo not the buildings, and not their gaming business.

#47 1 year ago
  48. stretch215

There is absolutely nothing in this thread that needs “moderation”. Sure, there’s a child with childish ways of expressing itself, but it’s a legit opinion. I’m tired if all you guys crying for moderation where it’s not necessary(like when someone that doesn’t agree with you has a strong opinion). If this site starts banning/censoring posters for anything but personal attacks you will lose even more readers, including myself.

#48 1 year ago
  49. Belmont

Kaz knows what to do !!

#49 1 year ago
  50. OlderGamer

I think this has more to do with the deprecation of the yen then much else. I would agree that other factors also apply. But if the yen continues its curent trend the next gen console battle could be a real contender. If the yen were to be and stay strong, it could greatly handicap Sony and Nintendo.

#50 1 year ago
  51. Cobra951

@21: Better moderation, better site? I can’t wait to see that. Thanks for that, Dave.

#51 1 year ago
  52. Francis O

LOL, Look at PS3Fanboy trying to argue his case to continue being a troll on the site!

#52 1 year ago
  53. Lengendaryboss

Looks like the drastic measures did eventually get Sony back to profitability.

#53 1 year ago
  54. theevilaires

See I told you guys SONY knew what they were doing when they sold those buildings and downsized. Now its time to begin moving back up baby!

We’re baaaaaaaaack!

#54 1 year ago
  55. Eddie Rodrigues

I’m still playing my Vita so… yeah they didn’t fail, as a wise person would guess

@54 I wasn’t expecting this

#55 1 year ago
  56. NightCrawler1970

ps3fanboy = a moral officer, keep it up bro….

I think Sony have a change to win… on the market.. they better sure they have a whole frickin warehouse loaded with PS4, to avoid the last time, “OUT OF STOCK” or “BACK ORDER”….

#56 1 year ago
  57. Clupula

@52 – Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. Pot, you should stop being so racist to kettle.

#57 1 year ago
  58. Francis O

@57 Please show me where I’m trolling on this site Clupula?

—- yeah that’s right, you can’t, have a seat loser.

#58 1 year ago
  59. Clupula

@58 – Have a seat? Damn, you’re so chivalrous when you’re coming on to me, Ygritte. You’re holding a chair out for me. How very sweet.

As for your trolling, hmmmmm…well, I dunno. I’d think someone going after one particular poster and constantly calling him a loser would constitute trolling. Bad words make for bad feelings, Francis.

You’re not going to get any boys if you keep being mean to them.

#59 1 year ago