Bidding session for remaining THQ IP has closed

Friday, 19th April 2013 20:06 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Bidding for the remainder THQ franchises which weren’t sold in January have closed.

According to a legal document filed, 17 final bids for IP will bring in somewhere around $6-7 million once the process ends in May.

Bidding on the remaining IP started April 1, and all bids were required to be received by April 15.

Bloomberg reports that unsecured creditors could recover between 20-52% of claims against THQ, which combined come to around $143-$184 million in claims owed. Should the amount of allowed unsecured claims “fall within that range,” projected recoveries for said claimants could reach 31.5 – 51.9%.

Darksiders, Homeworld, MX, Red Faction, Supreme Commander and others were on the block. TeamPixel revealed in the early hours it had be outbid on the Homeworld IP by an unknown party.

More information on the proceedings will be made available on Monday, April 22.

Via: Polygon, Gamespot, Bloomberg.

1. DSB

Man, it’s gonna bother me until I know who has Homeworld. Please don’t let it be a bunch of jerky dickbags.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Old MacDonald

Apparently Paradox and Stardock were outbid too.

I bet it’s gone to some evil F2P-company.

#2 1 year ago
  3. DSB

Homeworld at Stardock would be fucking terrifying as well. I know Stardock means well, but the whole Elemental fiasco has just robbed them of credibility.

I bet CD Projekt could outbid both of them. Or Valve. Or an army of kittens in tophats wielding venture capital, motivated only by love of the medium. I’m just gonna stick to anything that’s positive for now.

#3 1 year ago
  4. SplatteredHouse

“The final news will be out Monday afternoon,” a person with knowledge of the proceedings informs Joystiq.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Telepathic.Geometry

“…it had been outbid…”

#5 1 year ago
  6. Old MacDonald

3: I doubt Valve has any reason to bid on it, they aren’t even releasing games based on their own franchises…

CD Projekt is somewhat interesting. They could recoup some of the costs through GOG, so it’d be less of a risk. There’s also Bohemia. Or something crazy, like Mojang.

But… I still think it’ll be a free to play-company. Potentially Wargaming.net.

(I agree about Stardock, though it seems they are putting things right with Elemental and I’m looking forward to this year’s game, whatever it’s called)

#6 1 year ago
  7. DSB

@6 Yeah, that was really just me trying to calm myself :P

I could accept Wargaming.net if they hand it to the old Gas Powered Games gang.

Any other F2P under any other circumstance would be devastating. Unless Riot want to move into singleplayer products.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Dark

Gearbox Software acquires Homeworld IP

#8 1 year ago
  9. DSB

Fuck yeah!

#9 1 year ago
  10. Lengendaryboss

Should we be excited or worried after A:CM?

#10 1 year ago
  11. YoungZer0

@10: Worried. Definitely worried. Especially because Homeworld is far from anything Gearbox has ever done.

#11 1 year ago
  12. DSB

They’re gonna focus on either a remake or a rerelease first, so that’s definitely good news.

#12 1 year ago