XCOM shooter website and official videos taken offline

Saturday, 13th April 2013 17:03 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

It appears 2K has pulled the official website and privatized the YouTube videos for its XCOM shooter.

Noticed by Digital Trends, the tactical shooter was announced in 2010 for a 2011 release, but was delayed into 2012.

In May 2012, Take-Two announced during its fiscal results the game had been delayed once again, and would release sometime during fiscal year 2014 – meaning the game could release anytime between now and April 30 2014.

Last month, a report from Superannuation stated that the game may be in the process of a re-brand due to domain registrations for “thebureau-game.com” and “whathappenedin62.com” popping up.

A report from October 2012 suggested the game had been changed from a tactical FPS into a third-person shooter. Leaked screenshots seemed to corroborate the claim.

When contacted by Polygon, a 2K representative stated that they had “no comment about the sites being down today.”

When visiting the website, we receive a 404 error, and when checking out the official 2K YouTube Channel, the videos are no where to be found.

1. Erthazus

They should just cancel that POS.

2. Lewis247

@1 what makes it a piece of shit? Not that I’m defending it, it’s just that from what I remember years back it looked promising, Am I missing something?

3. roadkill

@1 and 2 How can you have any opinion about it? We’ve seen almost nothing of it!

4. DSB

It’s obviously in development hell, and it didn’t look very good when they showed it off the first time.

“Now you too can fight monsters made of tar”

5. Erthazus

^ what he said.

6. karma

@#1 You haven’t played it, so how could you possibly know?

Anything from 2K Marin, the guys that made Bioshock 2 can hardly be bad. From what little we saw of it, the game actually looked like a nice change of pace from the typical straight up first person shooter. I was looking forward to it myself, just as much as I was looking forward to the more faithful XCOM Enemy Unknown, which actually ended up disappointing me a lot more than I expected due to the mass market dumbing down.

I really hope 2K didn’t kill this, but it kinda looks that way. :(

7. FrayJoker

I can understand why people are so rough on this game. It takes a loved franchise and tries to do something new with it. I guess I would be pissed off if the next Die Hard movie was a romantic comedy. But at the same time this game was trying to treat the lore and ideas with respect, and what it was doing as a first person shooter looked interesting.

I really hate that kneejerk reaction to any deviation from a formula. Syndicate got destroyed because of this kind of cultish devotion, and I really liked that one. It was a cyberpunk setting competently realised, with fun creative gunplay with fun creative guns. Reminded me of Perfect Dark. Challenging and atmospheric as well.

And well, after they went and released a modern XCOM game before this, there is no justification for people hating attempts to branch out from what’s established in the franchise. You got the game you wanted, this was a game that I wanted. You are simply not being fair.

8. Richenbaum

Welcome to the internet.

9. DSB

@7 It’s not because it’s new, it’s because it looked lousy.

I can only speak for myself, but XCOM: EU wasn’t the game I wanted. It was a decent enough game, but it was a lot closer to a boardgame than the original. Even if it had somehow been a perfect remake, I don’t see how that would place XCOM (the shooter) above criticism.