Need for Speed: Underground reboot in works at Criterion – rumour

Friday, 12th April 2013 08:51 GMT By Dave Cook

Need for Speed: Underground could be next on the Criterion reboot slate, following the alleged leak of a logo online. Now of course, we all know anyone can use Photoshop to mock up anything these days, so take this as rumour only. Seriously.

Update: We received an email from an EA rep on the above logo and they declined to comment. Make of that what you will.

Original story: The above logo was sent to EGM by an anonymous party. The site was told that the game is in development for Xbox 360 and will be set in a new version of Bayview city, last seen in Need for Speed: Underground 2.

The question is then, why are there London landmarks in the letters, and why does the coliseum appear twice? We’re calling bullshit on this one. That’s not to say the game isn’t in development at the studio, but the logo is highly suspect. Judge for yourself.

The site also points to the CVs of Criterion employees on LinkedIn who list ‘unannounced racing title’ on their profiles. Seeing as it’s a racing studio, this isn’t a wild stretch of the imagination at any rate.

We haven’t heard anything official on this so treat it with caution for now. We’ve asked EA for comment.

Thanks Nintendo Life.

1. Optimaximal

I call shenanigans on the logo. Why would they include bits of famous architecture from around the world when historically Bayview has been its own animal?

#1 1 year ago
  2. Dave Cook

@1 Yeah I noticed that too. As I say, it would be so easy to do this using Photoshop.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Mjorh

I’ll Be Damned !
    Hard 2 Believe by the way !

#3 1 year ago
  4. Fin

The logo’s fake, but one would assume Criterion are working on a new NFS game.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Ignatius_Cheese

Yup fake logo but hopefully EA have shifted Criterion onto a new Burnout game and Black Box or whoever are doing the next annual NFS game…

#5 1 year ago
  6. slayer

After what they did to the Most Wanted Reboot,im not looking forward to this tbh.Yes,the MW reboot was fun but the original is still miles better

#6 1 year ago
  7. redwood

my reaction to this remarkable development…

#7 1 year ago
  8. daytripper

Hope so on the new Frostbite engine :)

#8 1 year ago
  9. The_Red

The future generations are gonna have fun when searching for older NFS games. You want NFS Hot Pursuit? Then you have original, its sequel and its modern versions.

Imagine if everyone had done this. There would be 3 or 4 Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back, at least 14 007 Goldfinger movies and every Die Hard movie would be called Die Hard.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Gheritt White

Real. Guildford talks…

#10 1 year ago
  11. Dean

#11 1 year ago
  12. DeyDoDoughDontDeyDough

“Make of that what you will.”

I will. I will make of it that they refused to comment.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Dave Cook

@12 which means…?

#13 1 year ago
  14. fihar

Their last two NFSes were fun, but they’re not exactly Paradise.
    While Most Wanted desperately screams Burnout, the feel of the game doesn’t quite match the silliness Burnout has.

#14 1 year ago
  15. DeyDoDoughDontDeyDough

I’m afraid I can’t comment.

#15 1 year ago
  16. daytripper

Lol @15

#16 1 year ago
  17. SplatteredHouse

Criterion developer calls it fake, as directly as that. Well, I’m not inclined to disbelieve that direct and straight-forward of a comment. It looks as if they’re out of the IP reappropiation game (at last)

#17 1 year ago
  18. shoepotato

Do you guys not see the pattern? The R has a coliseum because R indicates Rome, E indicates England, G indicates Greece, N indicates New York. Its a pattern. Look at the pictures in relation with the letters.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Lewis247

I have not cared for a single NFS game since Underground 2. This is great news if they finally go back to the Underground series, loved those games, 2 was easily one of the best racing games available.

#19 1 year ago
  20. theevilaires

They’re redoing all the NFS on PS2 basically so I believe it. I bet you it will come out next year. I can’t seem to get a grip on Most Wanted its too damn clustered for me vs Hot Pursuit.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Gladson

If there’s pattern about the letters and the cities (“R” with something from Rome, “E” with something from England, etc), what’s the “O”? Looks like Spaceship Earth from Epcot (which is located in “O”rlando)…

#21 1 year ago