Halo film: District 9 director interested if given full control

Wednesday, 10th April 2013 13:02 GMT By Dave Cook

Halo may be turned into a movie yet, as acclaimed District 9 director Neill Blomkamp has expressed interest in helming the project, but only if he is given total creative control.

Speaking with IGN, Blomkamp said, “I still really love the world and the universe and the mythology of Halo. If I was given control, I would really like to do that film.

“But that’s the problem. When something pre-exists, there’s this idea of my own interpretation versus 150 other people involved with the film’s interpretation of the same intellectual property,” he added. “Then the entire filmgoing audience has their interpretation. You can really live up to or fail in their eyes. That part isn’t appealing to me, but the original pieces are appealing.”

Would you like to see Blomkamp involved? Does his work on District 9 fill you with confidence? Let us know below.

Thanks Gamespot.

1. Lengendaryboss

Games to movies never work, e.g. Max Payne and movies to games don’t work Bond games absolutely terrible. But for games to movies it does take longer until it is eventually canned, stuck in limbo or poor result.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Gheritt White

I thought X-Men Origins: Wolverine was pretty darn good, right up until the final boss.

#2 1 year ago
  3. JRNO

Yes I’d like to see it.
    And yes, I’d like him to have full control over the movie adaptation.
    The worst possible move would be to tie the movie into one of the games, or vice versa. Those stories should stand independent from another. The Halo universe allows for it.

#3 1 year ago
  4. The_Red

I think they can work. I agree that Max Payne and others have been terrible but it’s because people behind them were terrible. Imagine giving The Godfather, Gladiator or Fight Club to Uwe Boll, Paul WS Anderson or John Moore.
    Same goes for games. Zelda is considered a great series. Same for BioShock but give them to Zynga or makers of Superman 64 and see how they turn out.

Has there ever been a game adaptation from David Fincher, Chris Nolan or James Cameron? Have Miyamoto, Ken Levine, Edmund McMillen or Derek You worked on a movie license? No but it CAN happen. GoldenEye 64 and Riddick: “Escape From…” are the proof.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Fin

JASON STATHAM AS MASTER CHIEF!!!!

#5 1 year ago
  6. Samoan Spider

@2 Was that the huge robot you had to punch in the foot and then scale? I seem to remember something odd like that.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Bloodyghost

I have faith in this working if he does get his full creative control however that is next to impossible. Think how big this franchise is – many will try to turn it into a quick cash in and only allow only some creative room. People will make sure that the lowest risk is involved.

Thats why I dont want to see any games to movies unless it has a director and a team that are thinking about what the gamers want to see rather than a quick buck to get people to watch the movie just because it has the same title as a popular game.

Oh and Neil. I am still waiting for that District 9 sequel, but you can bet your ass im seeing Elysium.

#7 1 year ago
  8. roadkill

@5 Shut up! :)

#8 1 year ago
  9. BrahManDude

It would be cool but no control because they’ll just screw everything up

#9 1 year ago
  10. Lewis247

As long as it doesn’t follow Hollywood cliches and has a truly original, worth while script the I have absolutely no reason to doubt that a Halo film would be great.

#10 1 year ago
  11. fearmonkey

I would rather they do master chief like Darth Vader, in that he is always behind the mask, and they don’t try to humanize him too much.
    Would Halo feel like Halo if we Saw his face all the time?

#11 1 year ago
  12. pukem0n

@4 there was an Avatar game, and it was terrible.
    James Cameron was said to have creative input in the game and it was still quite bad ^^

#12 1 year ago
  13. RocknRolla

I absolutely love District 9 guys if you have seen it then there are no worries! Peter Jackson always delivers ;) everyone should see District 9 amazing movie, different from all else you have seen ;) high score on IMDB as well ;)

#13 1 year ago
  14. YoungZer0

@12: That’s probably why it was so bad. Why do we expect film directors to know how to develop a game?

@13: It’s not from Peter Jackson, you Schmuck.

#14 1 year ago