Batman: Arkham Origins – 15 screens, new villains revealed

Wednesday, 10th April 2013 10:44 GMT By Dave Cook

Batman: Arkham Origins was revealed on the cover of GameInformer last night and naturally the press is harvesting the magazine for watermarked screenshots like crazy. We’re not of course, but allows us to guide you to them.

OXM has a gallery of 15 shots here, they’re watermarked so I can’t embed them on the site.

The images show Batman kicking ass on the streets of Gotham, Black Mask about to torture a cop, Cobblepot before he became The Penguin, and art of assassin Deathstroke.

Batman: Arkham Origins takes place in Gotham City on Christmas Eve as eight of the world’s most deadly assassins raise hell on the streets in an attempt to kill Batman. It’s also a prequel to the first two games. Read our full report on the game here.

Batman: Arkham Origins launches on October 25 for PS3, Wii U and Xbox 360, and PC

1. SplatteredHouse

I spotted Penguin, but who could that man in the tapered suit and skull mask be?

2. SameeR_Fisher

^^ Black Mask ?! :D, he is the center of the plot

3. SplatteredHouse

Then the plot’s possible to be completely (or at least half) wasted on me. I don’t follow DC. I know the mainstays just from associated stuff, but I don’t read that brand of books.

4. Edo

I have to say that the new bat suit looks really good.

5. The_Red

Black Mask is a pretty straightforward character (Excluding the past from some of his graphic novels). He is mob boss and has hired assassins to kill Batman. I don’t think they will rely on DC lore / knowledge to tell their story.

6. SameeR_Fisher

@3: yeah I am there with you, my knowledge of Batman comes from movies, animated movies, and some wiki search :D

you should have a brief knowing about Black Mask from his biography in Arkham Asylum and his appearance in Arkham City.

I agree with you regarding the plot, I am actually more interested in the 8 Assassins sent to kill Batman.

7. SameeR_Fisher

@4: it does, but I don’t like his look, he is so bulky, even more bulkier than before:

8. SplatteredHouse

@6: I don’t remember him from AA, and I spent some time searching those isolation cell walls, and the area around Dr. Quinzel’s office to try to find as much as possible to flesh out the scene of the Asylum. That game was good fun. :)

As far as AC goes, I have the GOTY version installed, patched and set, but haven’t got round to starting playing it yet because of GFWL. That, and playing other stuff, I guess. GFWL just puts me off, even though I keep meaning to start. It’s just a motivation thing is all. So, I’m not actually familiar with BM from those games. Thanks for the explanation, though!

9. SameeR_Fisher

@8: No problem at all mate, maybe I saw his biography in AC and thought it was in AA, anyway you must play AC, it is an awesome game, personally way better than AA, the side quests are EPIC.

10. Digital Bamboo

What a glorious setting. Some of those pics look more like concept artwork than screenshots, but I’m not complaining.

@7 Batman is really bulky in the Arkham games, but a lot of that is armor. According to the bio in AA Batman is 6″2 and 210lbs, though he looks at least 25lbs heavier b/c of the suit. You’re probably just talking about his look, but some of those character weights are pretty far off. Killer Croc 11ft tall and 580lbs? Maybe if he was an actual crocodile.

EDIT: You are definitely talking about his look, and I agree, he is getting pretty bulky, but I guess you can chalk that up to comic book styling (notice the size of his head) and an ever-increasing expectation for men in media to be jacked, and I guess superheroes have to be even more jacked to keep ahead.

11. SameeR_Fisher

@10: yup I know, but he was okay-bulky before, you know he could close his legs, but when I look at Origin art, wow, look at his thighs, actually maybe may whole problem with his look is his bottom, it looks so huge you know.

I look at Deathstroke and how perfect his anatomy is, then I look at Batman, and I am like WTF !!!

He looked reasonable enough in AA http://www.click2kill.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/batman-arkham-asylum-3.jpg ,, then he got more bulkier in AC http://yuiphone.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Batman-Arkham-City-Wallpaper-Batman-Ripped-yuiphone-Desktop-PC-Wallpaper-1920×1080.png ,, and now he is so off the wagon.

Another character I was bothered with how huge he was is Bane, I mean I understand why he is huge, but I hope in Origin we see him more like this http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lumek4dLOp1qb1p64o1_500.jpg
    or this http://aznbadger.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/bane.jpg

I don’t read the comics so I don’t know how huge Bane is, or if he is getting bigger with time or what, but I saw some images on google that implied he looked normal sometimes while still being as strong as ever.

12. Rocketbilly

I think that one pic of the Penguin might actually be a screenshot, and it doesn’t look anywhere near as good as the rest of the images, which almost certainly are not even meant to be taken as screenshots. These aren’t even heavily touched up screenshots, they’re just concept art.

13. theevilaires

Ok so we finally have a successful Batman gaming franchise can we get a Green Lantern, Green Arrow/Speedy aka Red Arrow aka Arsenal. I mean come on HollyWood is milking comic book characters to death (Iron-Man 3. Why not the games industry and do it right dammit no half ass bullshit for a quick purse snatch and grab.

The possibilities with Green Lantern’s ring and next gen tech would be awesome in a PS4 I think.

14. YoungZer0

I always thought that they overdid it with the muscles in the Arkham Games. It looks like they toned it down here and the batsuit looks so much, much better than in the previous games.

Hope we also have some fine-ass costumes, the Batman Beyond suit didn’t do the source material justice.

@3: That’s no excuse. If you cared even a little bit about the secrets in the Arkham Games, then you should know Black Mask. Most of my knowledge about the Batman Universe comes from these games.

15. Gheritt White

@13: Designing a GL game – around a charcater who can basically make/do *anything* – is virtually impossible. I’d much rather see a credible game based on The Flash – a small-ish, relatively simple set of mechanics right there.

16. theevilaires

^ I know it would be virtually impossible to create anything the player could think of but with 8GB of ram thats a lot of pre designs you can come up with that the engine could handle. It would be tough to pull off control wise but hey it took the industry 3 generations to perfect FPS controls with COD.

17. ianbenoir

Am i the only one who thinks this game is stupid?

18. Clupula

@11 – Bane’s normal size is what he looks like in those pictures. Back when he was using venom, however, which he still was in the Arkham games, when on it, it made him physically stronger, to superhuman levels. Some artists drew him as being a mountain of a man when on venom so as to show the difference in his strength.

In the comics, the character has sworn off using it, though.

19. SameeR_Fisher

@18: but technically isn’t there 2 kinda of venom or something ?!, the one Bane usually use where he gets stronger and bulkier, and AA Venom that turns people into titans ?!, I mean to me that would made better since.
    ((Edit actually it kinda seemed so from the comic as well http://images.wikia.com/batman/images/0/02/Comicpage6.jpg))

BTW why did he swore not to use the venom ?!, doesn’t he want to stay strong or something ?!