Assassin’s Creed: Ubisoft Toronto working on Black Flag follow-up

Thursday, 28th March 2013 05:36 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag was only announced this month, but two Ubisoft teams are already working on the one to come after that.

Ubisoft Toronto boss Jade Raymond told Polygon that her studio is working with Ubisoft Montreal on the next Assassin’s Creed release after Black Flag.

Naturally Raymond can’t talk about the new title yet, but she did seem pleased to be back on board Assassin’s Creed; she was one of the key creatives behind the original.

“The thing that’s great to me is that there is still some of my favorite people who, you know, we were in the trenches shipping that first one,” she said.

“We lived through all of that stuff together and some of those guys are still on the franchise and have been there. So it’s a just for me to work with some of those people again.”

The news is not that surprising, as Ubisoft tends to transition portions of each studio onto other projects, usually in collaboration with other teams, when their roles on existing titles is complete. Ubisoft Toronto has nearly finished work on Splinter Cell: Blacklist and multiplayer maps for Rainbow Six: Patriots, and now has five more titles on the go for the coming years.

“We have two big collaborations coming that we’re not talking about, on two of the biggest franchises at Ubisoft,” Raymond said. “We also have two new IP.”

The fifth project is another Splinter Cell.

1. The_Red

I am excited about Raymond’s return to the series (AC1 is my fave) but even with her involvement, I don’t think AC can survive much longer. Ubi will milk it to death and soon AC will be no more.

2. Mjorh

what the hell is happening !? they gotta give a break 2 this franchise , by releasing annually they’re gonna put an end 2 their most popular franchise !

3. OmegaSlayer

Top Ubisoft franchises? hm…

4. vOL

At EA Dairy Farm Inc..

EA Milking Division Manager: Hurry up lads! The cow keeps gushing milk like no tomorrow! Keep the buckets coming!
    EA Slaves: Yessir!! *bring more milk buckets*

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

5. Dragon246

@4,
    Its Ubisoft, not EA.

6. Lengendaryboss

Of course they are common knowledge by now.

7. JimFear-666

its not surprising. Im sure that Treyarch are already working on black ops 3 and modern warefare 4 isnt out yet.

8. aaron_avelino

i dont understand why ubisoft is putting a lot of its assets on this tired franchise. i dont hate AC, infact i have all the games but i think ubisoft should put the same amount (or even greater) of resources on their other IPs like the Tom Clancy titles, Watchdogs and Farcry.. In my opinion these franchises have more potential to be the gamechanger of the company rather than AC. I just hope ubisoft would just leave its toronto branch to focus on splinter cell games (blacklist onwards)cuz this game is really turning out to be a great one..

9. anik_lc

I did ask for Assassin’s Creed V on Fall 2014. :D :D

The fifth franchise is hopefully a Prince of Persia reboot. :D

10. Moonwalker1982

Oh what did i read there about Rainbow Six: Patriots? We hear NOTHING about it for months and now in this little article we get to read they have almost finished all multiplayer maps? SHOW it then?

11. dex3108

You need to understand that from AC1 every new AC earned more money then the last one. AC3 is already sold in 13-14 million copies that is huge success for Ubisoft.

12. aaron_avelino

@11 im pretty sure ubi could do better than that with their other IPs if they will put the same amount of development assets on them.

@9the 5th title they’re working on is another splinter cell game, Ubi toronto will be the home of splinter cell from blacklist onwards.

@10 here’s hoping for an update to R6 Patriots too. I’m a big fan of Tom Clancy titles.

13. Moonwalker1982

Me too man. I hope they don’t mess it up though, like they messed up Ghost Recon FS. I loved Rainbow Six Vegas, 2 was a bit meh because of a lot of boring maps. Patriots looked really damn interesting in the videos and screenshots so far. Some sources claimed it went back to the drawingboard, but that was a made up rumour. Ubi CEO Guillemot said it was still very much in development.

14. matty

Never ever stop assassins creed I know it’s hard not to and keep coming up with new ideas all kids love it of all ages I mean I’m 14 u got to try and keep it going for as long as possible I also love the idea of swimming with and being eaten by sharks and being a pirate I don’t know how u going to keep Desmond going considering he died in number 3 but I’m shore u will find away also don’t ever kill any one off with another heart attack like ezeo that was a really bad idea but I get that nobody could have killed him I mean its ezeo for god sake maybe Desmond could have jumped a few generations again and people did get bored of him and I did like Connor well I still have brotherhood revelations and 3 on ps3 and when u do bring out new ones still bring them out on ps3 and 4 as my mums stricked with money and I probably won’t be able to get a ps4 ok well I hope u read this as It took about 10 minutes to write this and if u don’t I’m going to be really really annoyed

15. matty

Hey it’s me again is there any way u could bring ac 4 out earlier plz

16. vicrysty

The best news. Every year an Assassin’s Creed. One that to happen in ancient Rome (gladiators, naval battles with the Roman galleys, Coliseum, battle formations tesdudo).

17. 9teen

Already?? I hope the series doesn’t wear out too quickly- I loved the first game most of the series, so this is exciting.