Tomb Raider players have robbed 3,570,956 tombs – more stats released

Saturday, 16th March 2013 14:09 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Square has released some interesting Tomb Raider stats: 5,294,879 deer and 1,417,750 crabs have been hunted; Lara has had 13,742,891 “close calls” and 11,067,764 enemies have been dodged. 147,675,058 enemies have been killed with the bow and 20,601,083 of those were with with fire arrows and folks have looted and salvaged 356,988,302 arrows from these fallen enemies. On top of this, players have robbed 3,570,956 tombs, which is what Tomb Raider is really all about isn’t it? That sweet, sweet loot! Tomb Raider is out now on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.

1. Lengendaryboss

Good God thats impressive, although the number that sticks out are the robbers of tombs/arrows.

#1 1 year ago
  2. deadstoned

Only figures I’m interested in with this game are sales. I hope its done well, I want to see more Lara. Get a bit more of that Uncharted 2 vibe hopefully. Both games are so great.

#2 1 year ago
  3. salarta

I’m far more interested in the lack of sales numbers. It’s been over a week. I would have expected Squeenix to be hyping up how they sold fifty bajillion copies of this game in its first week alone.

@2: You’re guaranteed to see more Lara regardless of sales of this game. It’s a franchise that isn’t going to be killed off, of that I’m very sure, and I have the impression that the team would continue with this interpretation of the character regardless of sales or public opinion.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Night Hunter

@3: What, no rant about why the new Tomb Raider is sexist and pure evil?

#4 1 year ago
  5. Stephany Nunneley

@3 I suspect Square will release shipped figures sometime within the next couple weeks or so, but I doubt we will see anything concrete as far as how much money it made them until it releases its Jan-March figures sometime in April. I could be wrong.

If it sold well they will want to shout it from the rooftops beforehand, like most companies.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Gnosis

@5: According to pushsquare.com, theescapistmagazine.com and some other sites, oh and the tweet from Carl Stewart, it sold about 1 mil units within 48 hours worldwide. There’s no official statement from SE or CD so far.

#6 1 year ago
  7. salarta

@4: So wait, your response to someone that often complains about something you like not complaining for once is to complain that they’re not complaining and try to goad/smear them into rant? That’s an interesting response. :) I currently don’t feel like I need to say anything now, I’ve done what I could, I’ll let the future speak for me. I’ve already seen it happening, worse than I expected.

@5: Yeah, it’s just strange to me because when a company is hyping up a game, the trend I’ve seen has been to talk up their shipped figures almost immediately. There are two guesses I have for why they haven’t done that yet; one, they want to wait until they’re past the initial burst of sales so they can give an impressive higher number, or two, Squeenix simply does things differently. Capcom is usually the one that tosses out sales numbers, after all. I do know some tweets by people involved in the game have said they heard some stores were running out of stock quickly in the opening days.

@6: VG247 reported the same thing. The numbers given were pretty vague though, based only on how many people were online (whether that means playing online or just registered their copy, no idea), so number of sales could have been much higher.

#7 1 year ago
  8. YoungZer0

Messiah Complex.

#8 1 year ago
  9. salarta

@8: Messiah Complex, also known as the subtitle of the next FF7 spinoff or sequel! :D

#9 1 year ago
  10. zinc

I’d say that’s 3 for 3 successful reboots for square enix now. Quite the hat-trick.

#10 1 year ago
  11. mimasap

I’ve been waiting for someone to bring it up under new analysis, since the game is now released and you can judge it yourself, but it seems this topic is destined to disappear like it never existed. Remember when people were calling out Crystal Dynamics for submitting to sexism when the only thing we knew about the ‘rape’ scene was that it existed? Christ. I hate what political correctness does to the media, And now no one is going to admit they were wrong about Tomb Raider? I just finished the game and thought it was absolutely stunning, and the scene in question was like one QTE out of the whole ~15 hour experience, and I felt it was a very appropriate sequence.

I feel guilty as a male for bringing this up, but I don’t think CD did anything wrong.

EDIT: Excellent read: http://lootspace.hostavo.com/news/OPINION–Crystal-Dynamics-deserves-an-apology-from-gamers-for-hasty-Tomb-Raider-controversy

#11 1 year ago