The Last of Us to span 12-16 hours, possibly more depending on play style

Saturday, 16th March 2013 16:04 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Naughty Dog has said depending on how the game is played, The Last of Us should last around 12-16 hours mark.

Speaking with EvolveEnt in the video below, Arne Meyer discussed the campaign, stating you can milk even more time with the game if you go into scavenger mode.

“We’re definitely looking at more than 12 hours, maybe 12 to 16 right now is what we’re looking at,” he said. “It really depends on how you play. You can play a little bit slower if you try to approach situations stealthy, if you really wanna explore the environment and scavenge, that’s going to add more time too.”

The Last of Us is out on PS3 June 14.

Via IGN; thanks Dragon246.

1. Lengendaryboss

I Feel much better about putting down £40 on this bad boy, the longer games are the more comfortable i am putting money down and i like a long challenge/journey.

#1 1 year ago
  2. mkotechno

So 6 hours because is always the half of the official length… Another one to the rent list.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Phoenixblight

Doesn’t work like that there have been more than a few cases where I have double the official length. Just all depends on the game and your playstyle.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Dragon246

@3,
    Exactly.

#4 1 year ago
  5. manamana

@mkotechno you are an idiot.

#5 1 year ago
  6. OrbitMonkey

@5, The old Sony knee-jerk defence still in effect eh?

#6 1 year ago
  7. manamana

What? You should know me better by now, as I have no interest in any brand (besides Apple for computers but that’s another long story) or whatsoever.

This guy is willing to rent a game from a highly acclaimed developer because it *might* have *only* six hours of gameplay, which is btw. only his personal take on gameplay time. Better he doesn’t play that game at all.

You tell me about knee-jerking you jerk.

#7 1 year ago
  8. OrbitMonkey

^ Judgemental and defensive? Throw in hypocritical and you got the set!!

#8 1 year ago
  9. Dragon246

@8,
    So you have no problems with false statements of #2, but up in arms when something is “Sony defense” in your opinion ?
    Looking forward to you doing the same in MS and Ninty threads, just like you are pointing out in this thread and GOW:A one.

Btw, one playtester finished Skyrim in under 2 hours. What a short game that was…..

#9 1 year ago
  10. manamana

Listen kid, it’s not like he’s saying it’s not his cup of tea or the gameplay trailers look shit or anything like that. He is assuming a gameplay time (which by todays standards wouldn’t even be called short) and proclaims a rent. Now he can throw his money wherever he likes. Doesn’t make him a less idiotic gamer in my book.

And talking about idiotic gamers, what’s your interest in that story btw.? Xbot or something?

#10 1 year ago
  11. Lengendaryboss

More arguments, how refreshing.
    @2 If you want to rent TLOU thats fine, but don’t complain when it actually lasts longer than six hours, also multiplayer is pratically endless. But if you think it will take six hours first playthrough, not rushing through it and besides if true they could be sued for misleading consumers. This game is by Uncharted developers whose games are known for long campaigns. Enjoy your short time with the game.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Phoenixblight

Uncharted series were short. I beat all of their games in 4-6. BTW if he rents it he won’t get the MP so that won’t be needed.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Lengendaryboss

@12 Really i must be playing slow :) So he won’t get to see the full product and is making a decision based on one portion of the game.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Dragon246

@12,
    Golden Abyss is bigger.

#14 1 year ago
  15. OrbitMonkey

@9, Don’t drag me into your corporate jerkfest dweeb. If that guy had said this about a game that didn’t happen to be a exclusive to your beloved Sony, you’d be keeping your hole shut.

But oh no!! It’s naughty dog! Man the defences!!

@10, No, you listen mature rational adult of the internet, your calling a guy an idiot because he’s stating that he doesn’t quite believe in the corporate hype. That in his opinion, game length’s are usually exaggerated… So he’ll be renting…

Wow, how naive!? I mean hype is always true! Right? Er no.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Phoenixblight

Don’t have a vita so I am not able to play that game. Nor am I a fan of hand held games.

#16 1 year ago
  17. manamana

@Orbit Yes, as if I would believe corporate statements …
    (I better shouldn’t put *rolleyes* but yes, couldn’t resist)

Also, I’m logging off now, as I have to cook for six people now. See you soon!

#17 1 year ago
  18. Dragon246

@15,
    How refreshing your comment is. You think you can get your point across better by insulting others?
    Continue on. Your username is so fitting, its kinda ironic.

@16,
    But it also has the most boring story too.

#18 1 year ago
  19. OrbitMonkey

^ Try’s to take moral highground about insulting commentators… Ends with a insult…

Is that ironic too?

#19 1 year ago
  20. Dragon246

^Oh, so you don’t like your username? I didn’t selected your username, you know. I am sorry I didn’t know you took your own username as an insult. You should, I don’t know, maybe change your name if you don’t like that?
    As I said, looking forward to your comments in other sections.

#20 1 year ago
  21. DrDamn

Uncharted series were long, I took 15-20 for single runs through of each.

#21 1 year ago
  22. OrbitMonkey

@20, Sorry, that last bit was meant to read…

“ends with a piss poor attempt at a insult”

*fixed*

#22 1 year ago
  23. Phoenixblight

For you not me.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Lengendaryboss

@23 Interesting did you play the game with/without exploring for treasures or the environment or do you have a special technique for finishing that fast?

#24 1 year ago
  25. Dragon246

@24,
    Skyrim was finished by a playtester in 2 hours. It completely depends on play style.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Phoenixblight

If I see a treasure I’ll get it otherwise I won’t look through the environment for find them. The treasures just unlock cheats which Uncharted is a hit it and quit it type of game. Generally why I haven’t bought Uncharted series since the first one and rented the rest.

#26 1 year ago
  27. Lengendaryboss

@25 Don’t Playtesters play a game to death on a unknown difficulty various times? it gets shorter each playthrough.

#27 1 year ago
  28. Lengendaryboss

@26 Cool.

#28 1 year ago
  29. OrbitMonkey

@Legendary, The Skyrim run was the result of a direct competition between playtesters at Bethesda, but even without competing a lot of games can be a lot shorter than their *official* playtime, if you ignore the filler.

I’ve gone through Mass Effect 1 on Insanity within 5-6 hours.

#29 1 year ago
  30. DrDamn

Which is exactly my point. It may be short for you but compared to the average you are steaming through the game. The average is more like 10 hours +. Maybe you are particularly good at the game. That doesn’t make it a short series though.

#30 1 year ago
  31. zinc

12-16 hours gameplay?

12 hours of cut-scenes, 2 hours of QTE’s & 2 hours of optional scavenging mode :-P

Trololol, I’m sure it’ll be fantastic. Big fan of Naughty Dog :-)

#31 1 year ago
  32. Phoenixblight

But it is for me and that was entirely my point. That it all depends on the the playstyle of the person who is playing it. I never suggested that the series as a whole is short for everyone, just for me. How I play games especially Uncharted or games like it, I breeze through them. I am not sure why its just how I play. Tomb Raider was the same way roughly 7 hours and I beat the game and got 80% of the content(on the hardest difficulty).

#32 1 year ago
  33. DrDamn

So it’s short more because of the way you play and not because of the game isn’t it?

#33 1 year ago
  34. manamana

@32 Because that’s what counts? blasting through a game as fast as possible? Okay then.

Edit: You can make it through UC3 in 3h 8m but does it anything to have in common with “corporate hype”, if the developer doesn’t put this number as an estimated playtime?

#34 1 year ago
  35. Djoenz

Damn you play the games too fast man. I expected TLOU to be 20+ hours of story/gameplay. Im quite disappointed.

However I always take my time lmao. Im the kind of guy tht gets obsessed with surroundings.

For example : at my buddy’s house Gears of War 2/3 doing co op and I was staring at the environments lol.

#35 1 year ago
  36. Da Man

It’ll be hours of scripted bs, shooting pattern based AI and generic zombie ‘story’ anyway.

#36 1 year ago
  37. Phoenixblight

Exactly.

Did I say that?

Why I is it that I go through a game relatively fast is some how a bad thing? I beat it and I got all the story segments. I also rented Uncharted 2 and 3 so that was my motivation for beating it as fast as possible because every day I have it is money spent.

Dragon Age Origin I have put 90 hours per playthrough and Mass Effect series every play through for every game I have put in 50+ hours so I know how to pace myself. Uncharted, Tomb Raider, God of War games are just corridor trigger-based platformers that are short and easy to go through for me.

#37 1 year ago
  38. DrDamn

Its fair enough if that’s how you like playing the games. You’ll see a lot more than most by playing that way. You will get people’s backs up with the first sentence in your first comment though, maybe make it a little clearer?

#38 1 year ago
  39. redwood

hell no 16 hours.. i am sure i will be stuck so many times at places that it will last atlest 25 hours :D

#39 1 year ago
  40. Djoenz

All this time I never heard about MP. Will it have MP or Co Op. I couldnt care less about MP but Co Op or Co Op MP would rock my world.

This game better have some massive lengthy story based DLC.

Edit: NVM I forgot it will have MP (not a fan of third person MP) but not co op MP -__-

Thx man