Saints Row 4 dated, debut teaser released

Friday, 15th March 2013 13:26 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Saints Row 4 has been given a release date by its new publisher Deep Silver, and the firm has also released a teaser for the crazy sandbox actioner.

SR4 continues the story of the Third Street Saints, where they have become the “leaders of the free world,” due to the group’s boss being elected as US president.

However, things take an out of this world turn when a “catastrophic alien invasion occurs,” and the Saints are transported into an odd, Steelport simulation.

While in this alternate version of the city, the Saints wield “gargantuan superpowers and fight to free humanity from alien boss Zinyak’s mental grasp”.

These “gargantuan superpowers” include: Telekinesis, Really High Jump, Really Fast Sprint, Shiny Blue Force Shield, and Sparkly Purple Fireball Projectile-of-Doom. Awesome.

Players will also be able to drive around American made tanks, use jets and attack helicopters, mechs, jet bikes and the alien armada’s interstellar ships.

Also included is Initiation Station 2.0, where you can become anything and everything – even a hulking, brutish,ninja cheerleader.

You can also customize your weapons, and have a pal join in your mayhem with imporved drop-in, drop-out co-op.

Earlier this month, Deep Silver teased something “huge” planned for PAX East, which of course had everyone on the Internet screaming Saints Row 4.

Looks like it, as the public will be given some hands-on time with the game during the event next week.

Koch, Deep Silver’s parent company, picked the Volition franchise up during January’s THQ auction, and while SR4 was originally slated to be DLC, THQ higher-ups had decided the content warranted a separate release with a four attached to it.

Today, Deep Silver also announced an August release date for the title, confirming Twitter rumors from earlier in the month when Chris Stockman, a design director on Saints Row 1 and current lead designer at Human Head, tweeted he’d heard “around the campfire” that the game was slated for current-gen consoles in August.

His sources were right: Saints Row 4 releases PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on August 20 in the US and August 23 in the UK – and it will not be coming to Wii U, according to Deep Silver.

We will continue to update this post as more information becomes available. Enjoy the screens and teaser trailer below.

1. CyberMarco

Nothing fancy…

#1 1 year ago
  2. DSB

Yeah, way too soon. That’s pretty much Saints Row 3.5.

I just hope they don’t adopt THQs retarded DLC policy. No game needs 150 pieces of 1 dollar crap.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Edo

@2 Yep,kind of disappointed,it looks exactly like the last one,which by itself wouldn’t be a bad thing,but you can’t expand a DLC,put some new characters and weapons in it and call it a sequel.

#3 1 year ago
  4. theevilaires

What the fuck did I just watch. I have to agree with the first two guys. They’re going to strange places with this one and its not 4 it looks like 3.5. This should have been an expansion pack or something and they should have jumped right into next gen with 4 because that would have gave them a better chance against GTAV.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Dragon246

@All above,
    Not surprising considering it was earlier planned as “Enter The Dormatrix” DLC for SR3.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Stephany Nunneley

That’s because at one time, Enter the Dominatrix was DLC until Jason Rubin decided it should be a full release and expanded upon. Here’s what it entailed at the time back in May 2012, so surely there is more to it since he gave them more resources to do it at the time. Remember also, it’s just a teaser trailer:

#6 1 year ago
  7. Lengendaryboss

That is one minute of my time i am clearly not getting back. Also it is bad enough they couldn’t spell Saint Row towards the end

#7 1 year ago
  8. Gheritt White

Saint’s Row is the new Crackdown by the looks of things.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Tronros

I would probably picked this up Day 1 if it were a Expansion/GoTY style edition. Kind of like Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen or Fable: The Lost Chapters type of release.

#9 1 year ago
  10. NeoSquall

Ok, it’s funny and all, but it’s not a breaktrough like SR: The Third was.

I hope they won’t charge 64,99/69,99 Euros for the console versions of the game, or else I don’t think they’d find much market for it.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Erthazus

Pretty much Saints Row 3.1 or big DLC for 60$

#11 1 year ago
  12. YoungZer0

I loved Saints Row 3. So this makes me very happy. Don’t care if it looks too similar.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Yoshi

They should have changed the name and made a new franchise..sure SR is crazy n all but aliens and superpowers is kinda crossing the SR reality line. Or if you want to take advantage if the SR name to sell units you make it a prequel.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Lengendaryboss

@10 That would be highway robbery.

#14 1 year ago
  15. The_Red

To be fair, this kinda was THQ / Rubin’s idea. According to him, the team was working on another crazy DLC for SR3. Then he told them to stop and change that into a full fledged game. Maybe that wasn’t named SR4 but what’s the difference?

#15 1 year ago
  16. NeoSquall

Are you all sure it’s really aliens?

Have you played the Gangstas in Space DLC?

#16 1 year ago
  17. silkvg247

Meh I love SR enough to buy it, but yeah it pretty much looks like an expansion.

#17 1 year ago
  18. GameStunts

I’m pissed off to be honest. I bought the DLC Season pass for SR3, and the DLCs looked more like unfinished missions from the main game, they were incredibly short, like 20 minutes short.

Then to hear that the DLC I would have been entitled to would now cost me the same as another game because they were taking it and making SR4, I just feel ripped off. It’s like the baited and switched.

#18 1 year ago
  19. karma

Hope there will be lots of customization again like SR2. Liked SR3, but too many daft costumes and weapons for my taste. Also SR3′s DLC was atrocious. Also as many have been saying, lots of reused content from SR3 in the trailer. Makes this look more like the expansion pack it was supposed to be. I don’t mind that as long as they don’t expect me to pay $60 for it.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Dave Cook

Interesting reaction.

#20 1 year ago
  21. The Last Nomad

Looks very like Saints row 3, which doesn’t really bother me, since i never bought the game. Looks like they have went even further into the idea that they are the craziest game in the world. A far cry from SR2, which was certainly wacky but always grounded in reality somewhat. This looks to be very sci-fi/fantasy and if they embrace that fully this could be a great game. I’ll reserve my judgement for its release though.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Lloytron

The video itself wasn’t great, in fact it was quite annoying, but Saints Row 3 was such good fun that this is probably a day 1 purchase for me.

#22 1 year ago
  23. harr0w

looks beyond terrible

#23 1 year ago
  24. Christopher Jack

SR2 was one of my all fav games. Sure it was crazy but 3 just felt retarded- no pacing.
    La-de-da-de-da, oh, awesome ally is dead, oh, the main enemy is dead…

#24 1 year ago
  25. Stephany Nunneley

Shots are in there now.

#25 1 year ago
  26. SameeR_Fisher

This looks CRAZY, but crazy good you know, it looks super fun, it is a bit early to pass judgment, I mean I know where fans are coming from by saying it looks like an expansion, but let’s wait and see, how long the game is, how big it is, maybe there is MP, maybe it is cheaper han 60$, maybe there is more to it, who knows.

Also I loved the bit about missing a letter LOL

#26 1 year ago
  27. SlayerGT

@20 I was thinking the same.

#27 1 year ago
  28. YoungZer0

Is the hero wearing Weskers clothes?

#28 1 year ago
  29. SplatteredHouse

“That expansion was canceled and elements of it were rolled into Saints Row 4,” a spokesperson for publisher Deep Silver tells Joystiq. “There will be a director’s cut of Enter the Dominatrix released as DLC when SR4 comes out.”

Where did they just magic up a complete, new game from in this time? Especially to where we now discover that the originally planned SR3 DLC, is actually going to see a redux as DLC for SR4!

Trivia: Volition are now known as “Deep Silver Volition”. (the future name of the studio was a matter in question shortly following their acquisition.)

#29 1 year ago
  30. Phoenixblight

Deep Silver is the most scumbag publisher. You think Activision is bad think of Activision when they have no money because that is the tactics they use in order to sell their games. They are known for bold face lying.

I was pretty disappointed that Deep Silver picked up Volition but this is how it goes. This studio will fall apart and they will go create a new studio.

#30 1 year ago
  31. AmiralPatate

The fact it’s a DLC turned into a full game, it means there are surely some new stuff, but the core of the game is still SR3, isn’t it?
    I don’t think they should market it as “Saints Row 4″, because it feels like a lie to me.

#31 1 year ago
  32. aseddon130

I for one am ready for a new Saints Row game, i loved SR3.

for all those moaning about it (by the looks of things) revisiting the same city as SR3 … did you complain about that with Saints Row 2???

They never said they turned DLC into a full game, everybody just presumed they did. They abandoned the DLC to make a fully fledged game to try and save THQ but probably couldn’t get it done in time.

@29 taking near 2 years to fathom up a new full game is nothing new, there are new CoD games churned out by a team on a 24 month basis, it’s not difficult for them to do that. Especially at the time of SR3 being made they were also doing Red Faction Armageddon (say what you will about the quality of that game) … with no Red Faction to work on that would mean all the workforce could concentrate on a new Saints Row.

#32 1 year ago
  33. Phoenixblight

“They never said they turned DLC into a full game, everybody just presumed they did.”

No one presumed anything Jason himself said that the planned DLC was moved to become a new game.

This is while they were in THQ. Deep Silver is just selling crap for a quick cash grab.

#33 1 year ago
  34. BrahManDude

wow they really should of waited and done next gen looks funny but that’s it

#34 1 year ago
  35. SplatteredHouse

Reading Phoenixblight’s link from last year, puts a new light on things. I think it’s reasonable for what they’re saying to have happened, once it’s remembered that, from the outset, Enter the Dominatrix was to be a standalone expansion. It was to be set in virtual reality, iirc, and well, we know that SR4 takes place in a simulation of Steelport. Not that it speaks to the quality of the finished experience, but it certainly sounds as if what started off being alike to Third, wouldn’t be out-of-place in what we know about 4.

#35 1 year ago
  36. Uncontested

Yup def won’t be buying this. I even liked 3 too.. this just looks retarded.. and the DLC into a “Full game” bit annoys me even more.

#36 1 year ago
  37. mathare92

Pant-eating duly scheduled. :P

#37 1 year ago
  38. Eddie Rodrigues

I can’t add much else than what everyone just stated correctly, but hey, the idea (aliens and Presidency) is good, though it does really feel like SR3.5

#38 1 year ago
  39. YoungZer0

Why are some of you blaming Deep Silver? Did you skip thinking and went directly into rage-mode?

Most of you only spill out half of the story here.

THQ ran out of money, in a desperate attempt they decided to cancel the DLC’s and instead create a whole new game. This is THAT game! That’s why it looks so similar to SR3.

It would be stupid to expect of them to start from scratch. There seems to be enough content to keep us all interested for a long, long time.

If you want to blame ANYONE, blame THQ, but you’d be insane to expect Deep Silver to clean up after them. That’s not their responsibility.

It is comparable to the L4D 2 debacle to a point.

#39 1 year ago
  40. Phoenixblight

I am not blaming Deep SIlver for anything but Deep Silver is the one claiming its a new game not the expansion that THQ had Volition done a year ago. SO who is telling the truth Deep Silver, who are known for bold face lying about their games, or THQ?

#40 1 year ago
  41. mreko3230

Fans of Saints Row will buy this. I’ll buy this. I can’t bring myself to get upset and be like,”Oh my GOD, they rolled ideas from canceled DLC into a full game- what a bunch of money grubbing assholes!”

I see a lot of people on here saying they should have waited and released it no next gen and this should have been DLC. From everything I’ve read and seen, it looks to me it was either roll the expansion into a full fledged game and make the company more appealing to investors or have nothing but a DLC asset to its name and have the company possibly collapse. The writing was on the wall for THQ, this was a company saving decision for Volition. If they wouldn’t have done this, SR may have been gone forever.

And you can shit on Deep Silver all you want, but if they wouldn’t have bought it, Volition may have been in Vigil’s boat (Darksiders) and a lot of people would have lost their jobs.

If you like Saints Row, then you will probably like this. If you’ve never been a fan or don’t like the departure from 1 and 2, then it won’t change your mind.

On a side note- Can someone tell me the last time there was a debut trailer for a game where it wasn’t immediately shit on? This is a honest question. I appreciate not wanting to get burned by a bad game (we’ve all been there), but for people who like video games so much we are sure quick to hit the “dislike button”. I mean, is it not “cool” to be excited or look forward to a new game? It’s like everyone is trying to play it cool with the hottest chick in the bar…you know, just in case she has herpes.

#41 1 year ago
  42. Eddie Rodrigues

@42 As a SR fan of course I will buy it, but see the logic: The jump from 1 and 2 was big, the jump from 2 and 3 was huge, and SR4 feels like a big fucking expansion from SR3, although this might have been necessary, as you said.

The thing I want back is a full Multiplayer mode, where I can play with more than just one guy doing the same missions I could do alone with the exception I can trigger an unfair boring mini-game just for the “lulz”.

Also does the choices on SR3 affect this game somehow? AND IS JONNY GAT REALLY DEAD? The DLC haven’t explained if they really found his body or not… he could be Gat Vader for what I understand.

#42 1 year ago