Dead Island: Riptide screens bring the tropic thunder

Friday, 15th March 2013 11:29 GMT By Dave Cook

Dead Island: Riptide has received a new batch of screens courtesy of Deep Silver and Techland. They show a tropical paradise teeming with undead bastards.

You can expect my Dead Island: Riptide multiplayer hands-on and interview article on VG247 soon. I played it earlier this week and at first I thought it was essentially a re-skin of the first game with a few new features. That was, until the subtle but important nuances started creeping in.

The hub defence bits are also fun. Plus, newcomer John Morgan is a melee expert who can craft a set of Wolverine claws, which is actually brilliant. The game felt like it hadn’t changed much at all in the opening areas.

However, I didn’t mind the over-familiarity as I really enjoyed the original – despite me often moaning on the site about how boring zombies have become. I also learned in my interview that there will be a lot of new content in there.

Stay tuned for my full interview and hands-on piece in coming weeks to find out more.

Meanwhile, those screens for your pleasure:

1. Hcw87

This will get old very fast. Same UI, same setting, same enemies, same protagonists etc. It really should have been a big expansion instead.

#1 1 year ago
  2. EZXPSnazzyPanic

This is the kind of thing id like to see as dlc in the future.

#2 1 year ago
  3. karma

I enjoyed DI for the most part, and I know they have added a lot of new content and game mechanics, but still, it all looks like DI 1.5, rather than a full sequel. Was really hoping to see some DayZ style survival mechanics in the game like hunger, thirst, infection etc, and reduce the arcadey feel to it. DI worked best when it was being a zombie survival simulator.

#3 1 year ago
  4. wishdokta

I liked Dead Island a lot. It’s one of a kind.
    Guess, I don’t see any problems bringing the same formula again.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Max Payne

@3 People bitched about Maleria in FC2 and that was 1 thing you needed to care about.Not to mention you always new where to find more piles.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Djoenz

I liked DI a lot so Im looking forward to this one as well. I think adding hunger etc. Would be more realistic but it also ruins the flow of the game. Shit I even hate when weapons

#6 1 year ago
  7. Djoenz

Break. Its tedious to constant fix them. Seriously would a steel pipe really break down so easily on soft zombie flesh? I can understand machetes or katanas can turn dull but break so easily pff.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Gekidami

To be fair, this isnt selling at a full brand new game price. Its about 20€ cheaper, at least where i’m from.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Phoenixblight

The game is selling for 49.99 here in the states which is practically full price.

#9 1 year ago