Civilization 5: Brave New World expansion pack announced

Friday, 15th March 2013 12:30 GMT By Dave Cook

Civilization 5 developer Firaxis has announced the game’s next expansion “Brave New World”. We’ve also been sent a new image to go along with the reveal.

In a statement sent to VG247 today, Firaxis announced the expansion for a Summer release. It will add a wealth of new Civilizations, units and structures into the mix.

Here’s a check-list of all the new additions:

New Civilizations, Units and Buildings: The expansion features nine new civilizations, each with unique traits, units, buildings and all-new leaders, including Casimir III of Poland.

New Culture Victory: Spread your culture across the globe, dominating all other cultures. Create masterpieces with Great Artists, Writers, and Musicians that are placed in key buildings across your empire, like Museums, Opera Houses and even the Great Library.

Use Archaeologists to investigate sites of ancient battles and city ruins for priceless cultural artefacts. Become the first civilization with a majority influence in all other civilizations to achieve a Culture Victory, becoming the envy of the world.

World Congress: The importance of diplomacy is intensified and city-state alliances are more important than ever. Change the diplomatic landscape through a new World Congress that votes on critical issues like implementing trade sanctions against rogue nations, limiting resource usage, designating host cities for the World Games and the use of nuclear weapons.

Game-changing resolutions, vote trading, intrigue, and a new lead into the Diplomatic Victory ensures that the end of the game will be more dynamic than ever before.

International Trade Routes: Build your cities into hubs of international trade by land and sea, creating great wealth and prosperity for your people, while also spreading religion, cultural influence, and science. The number of trade routes increases through the advancement of economics and technologies, the creation of wonders and the unique abilities of your civilization.

Will you connect to a closer city for a lower payoff and a safer route, choose a longer route with more risk for the bigger payoff, or perhaps point your trade route inward, sending vitally important food and production to the far corners of your own empire?

New Wonders: Eight new Wonders are introduced, including the Parthenon, Broadway, the Uffizi, and more.

New Game Scenarios: Two new scenarios let gamers fight the “War Between the States” and embark on the epic Scramble for Africa. Fight the American Civil War from either the Union or Confederate side, as you focus on the critical action in the Eastern theatre of operations between the capital cities of Richmond and Washington.

In “Scramble for Africa”, the great colonial powers of the world are racing to explore the Dark Continent and extend their reach into its interior. Search for great natural wonders in the heart of Africa, as you explore a dynamically-generated continent each time you play.

Phew. it sounds like a significant update. Are you still playing Civ 5? Does this announcement get you excited? Let us know below.

1. OlderGamer

Thnx for the heads up Dave, I will be grabbing this day one.

I am glad they ditched the piece meal dlc approach and are now doing all out expansions.

2. friendlydave

Looking forward to this! Is there a list of all nine new Civs or do we just know of Poland for now?

3. OlderGamer

No list of the other 8 civs yet, Firaxis won’t/can’t talk about them right now.

4. Vhyzer

Ten bucks one is Assyria seeing the giant siege tower there.

5. penniman

The congress sounds interesting.. I don’t think this should be more than 10 dollars though, since its considered an expansion.. Or atleast thats what this article states.

6. OlderGamer

I would be happy to pay 30usd. 40 is a bit high, but not totaly unexpected. I won’t go higher. I think the last expac was 40usd wasn’t it?

7. rusty_shackleford

Sounds like the most ambition addition to Civ 5 yet. Can’t wait.

8. DSB

Gods and Kings was kinda irrelevant, so this would definitely be a sale item for me.

9. OlderGamer

I was happy with G&K, DSB. To be honest I love Civ so much I would prolly buy almost anything they stuck out there. I still play Civ Rev on a near daily bases, it is a great and relaxing way to end a day.

Other then Phantasy Star Online and NCAA Football, Civ is my fav all time game.

10. DSB

It may have been a mild improvement, but it didn’t come anywhere near justifying the pricetag.

The new faith system was pretty lame. Spying has potential, but the AI is still incredibly backwards. If I have a border dispute with a country, and they declare war on me, I am literally not allowed to fight back.

I have to beat their armies in my own territory and sue for peace, or risk the mistrust of every other nation around me.

I don’t know if that’s intended to somehow live up to the whackiest hippie ideals out there, but it makes for a pretty boring political simulation.

If someone declares war on you, you should be allowed to take a city or something, to make them think twice about doing it again. Because that’s exactly what they do if you don’t.

11. SplatteredHouse

rockpapershotgun conducted an interview about the new expansion. They get into gameplay details and all that sort of thing.