PS Vita 3G price-cut across Sony US stores by $100, could be discontinued – rumour

Tuesday, 12th March 2013 11:45 GMT By Dave Cook

Sony’s US stores have slashed the price of PS Vita 3G editions across America, a new report suggests. Employees at two stores have said that the model is being discontinued by Sony.

Joystiq reports that the stores are pricing PS Vita 3G models at $199.97 from 299.99. The bundle comes with an 8GB memory card, and a code for a free PSN game if you also sign up to a 3G contract in-store.

The site has posted an image of the deal in a Sony US store, and has called round as many Sony stores in America as it can. It found that the majority of shops were running the deal.

Interestingly, store employees at Sony’s New Jersey and Las Vegas branches told Joystiq that the company was discontinuing the 3G model, which could explain the hefty discount. We’ll keep out ears to the ground for an official line on this one though.

Meanwhile, Sony has seen a massive sales boost ater it cut the price of PS Vita in Japan. Get the figures here:

Vita sales quadruple following Japanese price cut.

What do you make of the above? Does Sony need to cut the price of PS Vita in the West? Let us know below.

Thanks MCV.

1. mithrandir

I have never understood the added benefit of 3G for the Vita, other than the included GPS. With Wifi abundantly available, and mobile gaming NOT revolving around being ‘always on’, who needs 3G?

#1 1 year ago
  2. Clupula

Now, if they’d just do the same discount to the WiFi model, it’d probably start selling.

#2 1 year ago
  3. ps4some

@2 exactly. I’m completely disappointed with mobile gaming on a touchscreen phone or tablet and want some proper controls for gaming on my commute. When the vita drops in price I’m in and won’t be upgrading my smartphone again in a hurry.

#3 1 year ago
  4. melonbuster1

I’m on my 2nd vita. I love it but wish they would put it in the $169.99 range so it can really sell. But I guess the 3dsxl would just drop to $119.99 . Lol can’t beat those prices

#4 1 year ago
  5. Gnosis

@1: I remember several interviews with different developers at the time when Vita was officially announced. Everyone was shitting their pants about the G3 feature and telling how awesome it would be for future games and blablabla. And yeah… you know the situation. It’s kinda disappointing. I was really excited about FFXI for Vita.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Dragon246

@2,3,
    Problem is that they dont have many AAA games right now for release. Price cuts work the most when coupled with a deluge of new games.
    Japanese price cut was very well timed as vita has lots of games coming up there in next 2 months. So a price cut now in the west wont help matters much without any new AAA releases.

#6 1 year ago
  7. DrDamn

It’s good for asynchronous stuff but the bigger issue is lack of decent price plans with mobile providers without going strange special offer routes. I did an initial PAYG on Vodafone to get Wipeout and in that first month I used the 3G feature a fair bit but the volume of data was very small (12Mb for the month). If I don’t want to use it for browsing etc I don’t want to pay £5 a month for using 12Mb of data. None of the providers here in the UK have really picked up on this at all – probably not worth them bothering?

#7 1 year ago
  8. Da Man

Next, Pos Vita pricecut, could be discontinued.

You really have noone to talk to, do you?

#8 1 year ago
  9. Clupula

@6 – Thing is that it can have whatever titles they want to put on it, it doesn’t matter. No one, at least, in the states, is going to buy a handheld system for $250. Handheld systems are not looked at on the same tier as a console. I certainly would never have one as a primary system. However, for times when I’m on tour or whatever, it’d be nice to have.

And do you know the most attractive feature of a Vita to me? The ability to play PS3 games when I’m not home. That’s all I need. To be able to continue my save and earn my trophies. I don’t need AAA handheld titles. Hell, I don’t want AAA handheld titles. Save the AAA games for consoles.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Dragon246

@9,
    “Thing is that it can have whatever titles they want to put on it, it doesn’t matter.”
    Put AC, FF and GTA, then I think it will matter, but not very much I agree. Handhelds are pretty much dead in USA. Even 3ds sells only 15k per week now, not at all a great number.
    In Europe its different. 3ds sells twice as much weekly. Sony can grab that share by dropping pricing alongwith some great games. British PS chief said that they have some big unannounced titles in the wings, that will work.

Btw, vita ps3 remote play is broken, since its not something ps3 was built for, ps4 will change that since its natively built to support vita remote play, hopefully.

#10 1 year ago
  11. CyberMarco

Maybe they are discontinuing the 3G model in favor of a new (maybe 4G) redesigned PS Vita(slim?).

I was gonna import a PS Vita from Japan with the new price cut, but I’m sure Sony is going to make a new redesign in the end, same as the PSP.

#11 1 year ago
  12. ps4fanboy

3g PS VITA made no sense. Many people who own a vita also own smartfones and they can use the wi fi tethering to hook their vita to internet using their fone’s 3g, which would remove the limitations that 3g has on vita(like it can be only used to browse net and near)

#12 1 year ago
  13. OlderGamer

For me to buy one it has to be priced at or under 200usd, included a decent sized mem card…and be WiFi. The system does lack a long line of killer games, but I think it has enough games on it already. Not to mention PSN+.

The problem for me is that price and those damn mem cards.

#13 1 year ago
  14. polygem

i just re-bought a vita. won an ebay auction and didn´t even think i´ll get it for that price. sold one game it came with (because i already have it on another platform: sonic racing), so the overall price for 16 gb wifi, 2 months old plus lbp vita was 120 Euro!
    not that impressed with vitas games libary this far (that´s why i traded my first one in) but combined with my brandnew ps+ sub i couldn´t resist. ps+ really is great. mass effect 3, binary domain, motorstorm apocalypse, doa 5, lumines vita, lbp2…these are games i haven´t played yet and they have all been for “free” so i got my money back instantly. many vita games are “free” as well(i already played most of them already unfortunatley). infamous 2 as well…quality games on the ps+ list. great deal.
    i think if they price the vita 169,99 $/€ it will fly off the shelves…if combined with some great game releases.
    i hope they will go even further with ps+ on ps4/vita. i´d love to get a sub, digital only, premium rental system. really would love to go all digital with a sub on ps4/vita, if pricing is fair.

#14 1 year ago
  15. DrDamn

What I’d like to see is a similar looking model which supports micro/mini-SD Cards instead of Sony proprietary ones. For existing customers not sure it could take one of those and still work – or maybe using an adaptor? The cards and price of cards is one of the factors holding it back.

#15 1 year ago
  16. polygem

the mc pricing is indeed a crime if you ask me…

#16 1 year ago
  17. foofly

@15 + @16

I completely agree. The Memory Card is criminally expensive. I don’t know why they needed another proprietary format when the Memory Stick Duo would work fine.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Hellhound30x

At the Wal-mart where I live, they tell me its been deleted, and they can’t order any in.

#18 1 year ago
  19. ps4some

@18 You live in a Walmart?

Which aisle ?

#19 1 year ago
  20. gamereck36

Sony just needs to focus on the PS4 and leave the handheld device alone…..

#20 1 year ago
  21. CPC_RedDawn

4G version… anyone??

#21 1 year ago
  22. rusty_shackleford

#21 I agree, I see this as a sign of a new model, not just phasing one out.

I have held off on a vita cause I have too many games to play on the platforms I already own and because I was waiting for the price drop or the first revision of the console, looks like thats coming soon. =)

I bought a 3ds then an XL a year later and gave my 3ds to a friend. I’m glad I waited this time. wonder what else the 4g model will bring.

#22 1 year ago
  23. CyberMarco

^ I’m waiting for the inevitable redesign too. I think it will have 4G and maybe better cameras, 720p etc, at least I hope so.

One thing that I can’t understand is why they didn’t put R3/L3 buttons on the analog sticks, real bummer.

#23 1 year ago
  24. polygem

@rusty: sometimes the updates/revisions are even downgrades though. i like the slim ps3´s (the first redesign), i think those are the nicest ones but they´ve taken away BC and usb ports…the superslims are ok but not that great, feel kinda cheap. i cannot fully recall it now but i think the psp slims also had less and not more features, if they will redesign the vita i really think they will drop the price as well and that would be great but i think the redesign will first of all be about lower production costs in mind. all i am trying to say is: could be the better console, but must not be. redesigns mostly come with a trade off.

#24 1 year ago
  25. CyberMarco

^ Actually in the case of the PSP:

-Fat has more speakers (4, not two, noticeably louder on fat, speakers on bottom of psp and lower part of front, not upper part of front)
    -Fat weighs more, much bigger, very easy to tell
    -Slim has video output to tv
    -Slim is missing IR (infrared) port
    -Slim WLAN switch is on top, not side
    -Slim has less complicated disk slot (no metal bars, just empty)
    -Slim has slide out memory stick slot, not door style
    -Elevated buttons on slim
    -More RAM (random access memory) on slim allowing for faster loading times and option to cache umds resulting in more battery life
    -Supposedly more efficient battery usage
    -Charging through usb mode

All in all, I think the PSP slim was a better deal, considering the loss of IR port and speakers. Also the PSP 3000 had a built-in mic and I believe a slightly better screen with direct (sun)light.

#25 1 year ago
  26. polygem

i think the display was better too? all i know is that i upgraded and was very happy with the slim but i kinda loved the fat one too :) sure, overall redesigns will have more pros than cons. the vita is pretty well designed already though if you ask me…

#26 1 year ago
  27. theevilaires

The 3G version was always useless to me. I just use my wifi tether to connect and use network features with my phone. $200 for a Vita though is awesome go get one to the people who want one. you won’t be disappointed.

#27 1 year ago
  28. noamlol2

that’s bullshit!
    sony are greedy as hell

they will never slash the price for their overpriced memory cards
    so you expected they will slash the price for the console itself?

keep dreaming bro, it will happen only after they’ll lose to many people to nintendo

#28 1 year ago
  29. Lengendaryboss

@28 lose who? the causals or hardcore; nintendo are more causal gaming than anything else, if the hardcore jump ship from Sony to Nintendo they will be disappointed why? well it has something to do with hardcore games whether it ports, original IPs or spin-offs PS Vita has more of them. why hasn’t 3DS got COD and Assassin’s Creed yet even though it is outselling the PS Vita worldwide, because it is not the place for hardcore games.
    @27 I Agree i always thought the 3G version was a waste of money, not many games use 3G anyway. But the price point for the 3G is now cheaper than the Wi-Fi version even bundled with a memory card and game so the “PS Vita is expensive” can no longer be used.
    @26 There are plenty of things i can see being redesigned with PS Vita.

#29 1 year ago
  30. theevilaires

@29 i agree. For $200 no gamer has an excuse unless they’re just cheap. I’m actually going to pick up another one for my daughter too. Hope they have the Assassins Creed Liberation bundle marked down as well.

#30 1 year ago
  31. No_PUDding

I support euthanasia

#31 1 year ago
  32. Clupula

@28 – Hahahahaha…Imagine that! A company wanting to make money! They’ll never compete with the free Wii U and 3DS program Nintendo run, right?

#32 1 year ago
  33. Eddie Rodrigues

@28 have you been talking to Patcher?

#33 1 year ago