NPD: 29% of “core” gamers will purchase a next-gen console during launch

Friday, 1st March 2013 14:00 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

An NPD report states that 29% of the 887 “core” participants polled by the firm plan on buying a next-gen console at launch. Those polled in the US were between the ages of nine and over which play video game five hours or more a week and owned a Mac, PC, PS3, or Xbox 360. According to the report posted on Game Zone, NPD polled 6,322 , but only 887 of respondents were categorized as a “core” gamer. Get the full thing through the link. Thanks, CVG.

1. Dragon246

So whats the criteria for being a core gamer?

#1 1 year ago
  2. Erthazus

^ To be an asshole.

Joke. :D

Anyway, I’m planning to buy one system at launch. Steambox, PS4 or XBOX 720. Which will have better games, better eco system, better hardware that system I will buy this year (Or next year because I’m european son of a …)

#2 1 year ago
  3. G1GAHURTZ

@1:

You have to have an Xbox 360, and not play any women’s games…

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. No point goading O’Connor anymore…

#3 1 year ago
  4. Erthazus

If you have Xbox 360 you are already a casual gamer that plays woman games with AUTO-AIM.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Mus42

12% of core gamers like to fart in their sleep – these amazing statistics brought to you by “WhoMakesThisStuffUp”

#5 1 year ago
  6. Dave Cook

@4 Err…

what? :P

#6 1 year ago
  7. G1GAHURTZ

Ohhhhh, you’re far too HAAAAAARCOOOOOOOORE for us, Erthazus.

#7 1 year ago
  8. MadFlavour

OK class who can answer this question:

29% of an unknown quantity = ?

#8 1 year ago
  9. OmegaSlayer

Hardcore is a day one adopter, often owning multiple systems that purchases an average of at least 3-4 games a month across platforms, who hunts Trophies/achievements and despises whack-a-mole touchscreen games.

To accomplish this the hardcore gamer sleeps few, resides in a storage closet and doesn’t get laid.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Gnosis

@8: 29% of 887 ppl. It’s right in the first line.

#10 1 year ago
  11. alimokrane

core gamers include everyone who posted a comment on this thread (myself included)

#11 1 year ago
  12. Dragon246

Core gamers play MARIO! Here is proof-
    THE MOST HARDCORE GAME EVER!

So I guess us babies aren’t in it then.

#12 1 year ago
  13. karma

How the hell do you poll a 9 year old? Since when did they have disposable income? While i’m sure some parents will say sure, there’ll also be a fair few tantrums on christmas day me thinks. I’d say it’ll be a bit less than that. More like a 5 to 15% range of core gamers. I think last gen had a terrible start for both MS and Sony when it came to hardware reliability. Early adopters that got shafted last time will almost certainly wait to make sure all the kinks are ironed out this time around, and thats if they decide to even go console again what with all the used games restricting rumors.

#13 1 year ago
  14. MadFingerz

@10 Maybe #8 meant the quantity of the core gamers’ full population (which is unknown) and it does make sense asking about that since what’s the point of a poll if you don’t know the full population size?

#14 1 year ago
  15. manamana

Nine and over? Five hours a week? Thats hardcore? What kind of survey is this?

#15 1 year ago
  16. Gnosis

@14: You very often don’t know the full population size. That’s basic statistics. You also can never deliver a real right answer with those polls. It’s always an esteemed value taken from a control sample.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Cobra951

@9: Then by definition, 100% of them will buy a console at launch.

#17 1 year ago
  18. OlderGamer

Karma +1

I doubt I am buying either Xb or PS at launch. If I buy them at all, I will pick one.

#18 1 year ago
  19. MadFingerz

@16″You very often don’t know the full population size. That’s basic statistics.”

True. I reread my comment and realized I didn’t wrote what I was really trying to say. What I meant was that the concept of a “core gamer” is subjective, there are many different definitions for what it stands for and as thus you can’t even imagine how a population of core gamers is like, statiscally speaking. Proof of that is that they took their own definition of core gamer into consideration and reduced the size from 6k to 887. I don’t know if it’s even said anywhere what aspects they considered in the definition of a core gamer.

So what I meant to ask was what’s the point of a poll like this? Estimated or not, what value does the figure 29% have? Can you compare it to figures from previous studies and/or will further polls use NPD’s definition of core gamer? If you were Sony or MS you would look at this poll and think what? That 29% of those 887 participants might buy a next gen console at launch? Because to me that’s pretty much the only conclusion you can make. Well fantastic, I guess Sony and MS can spend some thousands in marketing planning to make sure those 29% do buy their respective console at launch..

#19 1 year ago
  20. Gnosis

@19: Yeah, that’s true. Aside from the fact, that this survey counts for “their” definition of a core gamer, there are a few more problems arising. I’m afraid, my English is not good enough to explain what I mean, though. It’s complicated.

#20 1 year ago
  21. ALEX427

GOOD THING I got rid of my 360 slim uffff I know am not buying any “next gen” consoles Ive switched over to pc goodbye rip off xobx

#21 1 year ago
  22. DSB

@19 The big ugly secret is that there is no point. It’s just corporate noise.

It’s very hard to use any of this data for anything constructive. You can maybe test a few things out and see where it gets you, but it’s always going to be shaky.

I think it’s as common as it is because a lot of executives have a hard time escaping the fact that everybody counts on their core skills, and no amount of polling data or pop psychology is ever going to save them from having to make the right decision when it matters.

It’s a way to dull anxiety for some. Launch a poll that is always going to tell you that you’re doing the right thing, and you might actually believe it yourself.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Digital Bamboo

Well this poll lost all legitimacy by the second sentence.

#23 1 year ago
  24. monkees19

I already bought my next-gen console. The Wii U. And when did 5 hours a week become core gamer? Five hours a DAY maybe…

#24 1 year ago
  25. Clupula

The Wii U is a current gen system. The next gen doesn’t start until PS4 and the Next Box arrive.

#25 1 year ago