Xbox 720: EA & Microsoft to announce exclusivity deal at April reveal – rumour

Wednesday, 27th February 2013 10:29 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox 720 could see timed-exclusivity of EA titles and DLC going into the next generation, sources have claimed. A deal is expected to be announced between both parties at Microsoft’s console reveal event, currently rumoured for April 26th.

The rumoured event will allegedly see a deal announced between EA and Microsoft, that could give Xbox 720 / Durango first dibs on all EA titles for a while.

CVG’s sources have told the site that the terms of the deal are not concrete, but given EA’s approach of launching games across all formats the deal will likely amount to timed exclusives, rather than Xbox 720-only titles. Timed-exclusive DLC could also be on the cards.

We now know that both the EA-published IP from Respawn Entertainment will appear at E3 2013 and that Battlefield 4 has gone next-gen. Could these games launch as timed Xbox 720 exclusives?

We’ll keep our ears to the ground on this one, but I did find it odd that EA didn’t appear at Sony’s PS4 announcement last week, given its track record of appearing at every showcase under the sun.

What’s your take?

1. Beta

Oh not more timed exclusives..

I find this rather difficult to believe though. Can’t see EA cutting off a massive portion of their market (PC PS4) What would be happening with Origin if this wasn’t timed? No new EA games?

#1 1 year ago
  2. mithrandir

That would be fitting, and shows the main difference between the two systems. Sony develops exclusive content, Microsoft simply buys it.
    I prefer the Sony way.

#2 1 year ago
  3. hives

Nah, I don’t believe they would do something like that with Battlefield game…

#3 1 year ago
  4. Samoan Spider

I’ve got a name for you that might spell out a possible reason for this. Peter Moore.

Edit: Now I follow that link to CVG I realise they’ve fingered him as a possible reason.

#4 1 year ago
  5. SurgicalSlinky

@2 Nailed it. Without buying exclusive/timed exclusive content, Microsoft basically have nothing to offer. It’s a shame because if they actually took that money and focused on setting up new studios with fresh, exclusive content of their own, they’d probably have some great stuff for their systems, and wouldn’t be running out of reasons to give people to buy a 360.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Fin

Not sure about this story. Dunno if a massive publisher like EA would go timed exclusive on a platform.

@2@5

?
    Halo, Gears, Forza, Fable?

#6 1 year ago
  7. Samoan Spider

@6 Maybe not for mainstream titles like their sports games, but what of Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Dead Space….. Other franchises that could shift systems without jeopardising their core business.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Ge0force

It’s so lame to spend loads of money to prevent millions of gamers to play multiplatform games. Why don’t they use that money to create new IP’s?

#8 1 year ago
  9. Gadzooks!

It’s unlikely this would affect PC releases. I’d only expect timed console exclusivity.

I’d rather they spend the money on first party devs too.

#9 1 year ago
  10. DrDamn

EA were notably absent from the PS4 event. Yes they were on the list, but nothing presented. Thought that was interesting at the time. I’d expect a DLC deal rather than full games timed exclusivity as that would feck with EAs release schedule and marketing.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Iliad

@6 Well said.

#11 1 year ago
  12. OmegaSlayer

Hmm…
    Maybe the anti-used game policy by MS appeals EA’s greed.
    But that would result in a backlash by fans.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Dragon246

Surprising? Absolutely not. It was completely expected.
    In fact I was the source who sourced this info to their sources ;)

With ActiBliz in a “strategic relationship” with Sony and now this, things are certainly becoming interesting.
    Although I wonder why the pubs changed their hardware beds :)

#13 1 year ago
  14. Gadzooks!

There is another possibility… That the 720′s interface is so different that there are titles that can’t be reproduced on the PS4 and PC.

It’s very unlikely, but possible.

#14 1 year ago
  15. manamana

That was to be expected. If that’s all Microsoft can come up with …

#15 1 year ago
  16. Kopite

Was this really to be expected? I know Sony didn’t turn up at the PS4 event but they’ve had a petty decent relationship with them in the past 2 years or so? First post btw.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Samoan Spider

@12 And Activision who have clearly sided with Sony are the pinnacle of human decency? Bobby Kotick is all I have to say on that. And what anti used game policy? I haven’t seen any confirmation from MS on this, or Sony for that matter. I’m not that fussed either way, but rumour doesn’t make fact.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Tech-N9ne

Plus, Alan Wake, Shadow Complex, Crackdown and Viva Pinata

#18 1 year ago
  19. Ge0force

@16 Good point. MS probably tries to get DLC first for all popular multiplatform franchises, including CoD, Battlefield, GTA and FIFA. To be honest I don’t care that much since I rarely buy DLC, but it’s a really lame and sad strategy.

@18 Alan Wake is multiplat (also on pc) and neither of those games are 1st party

#19 1 year ago
  20. Samoan Spider

@19 But you forget the millions of system buyers who DO buy that crap. ‘Horse Armour’ DLC for games like CoD and Fifa DO sell shedloads just not to people like you and me. Not a ‘lame and sad strategy’ if it helps MS get into the living room of millions of people and stay there.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Mike W

Well who didn’t see this coming from a mile away? (if it’s true)

I think exclusive DLC is stupid (for both Sony and MS) and half of the time the DLC is not even that great.

But this is what I feared, I hope MS doesn’t use the same tactics that use this gen. They got into the habit of buying secure DLC which was later release on other platforms. Instead they should of use those funds to buy new ips.

I never liked Halo, Gears of War was going down hill since the sequel came out, Forza is a joke and Fable has to be the most overrated RPG I ever played.

I don’t want to jump to conclusions, I’ve just have to patiently wait and see what they do/

#21 1 year ago
  22. woe

If it were a EA & Sony to announce exclusivity deal there woundnt be as many complaints.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Kaufer

#20 Its a new Xbox live feature. Pay $60 a year so MS can delay games on other consoles.

#23 1 year ago
  24. mojo

how lame

seriously, how lame!

#24 1 year ago
  25. Mike W

Take it easy woe, no one is attacking your precious Xbox 720 or NextBox.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Tech-N9ne

Everyone is just pulling rumors out of their asses, its gonna be a very long two months till April 26th.

#26 1 year ago
  27. Gadzooks!

#25

He’s not wrong though.

#27 1 year ago
  28. schrodinger_cat

This is sooo lame :)
    We’ll busy playing Killzone: Shadow Fall or other awesome exclusives on PS4 to notice some timed-exclusives

#28 1 year ago
  29. Samoan Spider

@26 This +1. We’re massively short on facts so its all just speculation.

#29 1 year ago
  30. Erthazus

Major publisher exclusives is just outrageous and it’s not because of Microsoft in General.

I’m a fan of Crytek and Epic Games and MS exclusivity deal with Epic on Gears Of War made sense. A LOT. Now, they are doing exclusivity deal with Crytek on the RYSE which is also a thing.

but major publisher is just so meh.

#30 1 year ago
  31. mithrandir

#27 not in my book. I only like exclusives if it means the game gets better, because it can make the best use of the console, like the Uncharted/MGS games. If Sony would have timed exclusives on 3rd party games, I would dislike that as much as I do now.

I actually like that both systems will support indie developers as much as possible, even if that means I only get to play half of them. I’m not THAT much of a fanboy… (I’m a fanboy of indies though!)

#31 1 year ago
  32. silkvg247

I don’t understand how anyone would benefit from this. Is a consumer really going to buy a 720 so that they can get a title a few weeks earlier? I would imagine that in the vast majority of cases, the answer would be no.

Sounds like a waste of money and a waste of our time.

#32 1 year ago
  33. Tech-N9ne

I don’t see anything wrong in Microsoft or Sony saying to Epic, Crytek or whatever studio, We have this idea for a game, and we want you guys to make it for our console only. Obviously Microsoft pays for the development cost, and I guess they split profits.
    Its just business you guys forget, companies are meant to make money.

#33 1 year ago
  34. dravenkaze

Lol lame ass xbox cant even make your own games have to splash the cash just so they can have games just for awhile before ps3 and pc lameass

#34 1 year ago
  35. _LarZen_

Personally I don’t care one bit about timed-exclusivity. It’s just Microsoft throwing money away…

They better have more to show then more of the same old timed-exclusivity and Kinect crap.

But my guess is they have, they cant be that dumb.

#35 1 year ago
  36. Samoan Spider

@34 I’d love to see your sources mate, I’ve been keenly following 720 rumours but I hadn’t spotted that MS had confirmed that they no longer have any first parties making games. Is this true or did you just make it up? Try to dial the fanboism back down to 11 would ya.

#36 1 year ago
  37. The Auracle

I couldn’t possibly take a rumour as gospel… unless I were some sort of butthurt fanboy.

#37 1 year ago
  38. mistermogul

MS should stop wasting their time with timed exclusives imo and go and set up some 1st party dev studios.

They need new, exclusive IP’s as I’m gonna be very fed up with another generation of Halo, Forza, Gears blah blah.

In fact playing all the odd, obscure Japanese games on 3DS eshop right now is a breath of fresh air compared to my home consoles…

#38 1 year ago
  39. Tech-N9ne

MS launching the next Xbox with some new IPs is a given, they did with the Xbox and the Xbox 360.

Black Tusk Studios has been working on some secret project since 2010, LionHead Studio has not released any big games for about 2 years now, they defiantly working on something hopefully its not Fable 4.

All they really need is 1 or 2 series on the level of GOW and Halo.

Sony can keep making their, Killzone, Starhawk or Warhark, Resistance, that barely ships 1 million copies

#39 1 year ago
  40. freedoms_stain

It’s funny, because EA are like my No.1 “Do not buy early” studio now.

They’ll take your favourite IP, change it almost beyond recognition, overload it with high cost-low quality dlc and probably stuff in some Micro transactions to milk out the last few drops.

Yeah, I’ll totally feel gutted if I can’t get EA content day 1. Not.

#40 1 year ago
  41. Joe Musashi

I would never underestimate the ability of companies like Microsoft, Activision or EA to find ways of making money.

Microsoft benefitted very well with their alliance with Activision this gen. Call of Duty may be multi-platform but it’s pretty much the largest brand in gaming at present and has become synonymous with Microsoft’s console.

Should there be some sort of partnership with EA and Microsoft next gen I would be very interested to see what happens. Both are very smart companies.

In terms of content, EA’s most attractive portfolio are its sports licences. High-profile, annual, evergreen sellers that reach out well beyond the hardcore gamer demographic. I’m sure those NFL/NHL/FIFA etc licences prohibit exclusivity because I’d expect those sports brands to want the biggest exposure and revenue available.

But Microsoft have been adding more sporting services to their own Xbox portfolio over the years and I wonder if there’s not some way of making these two elements complement each other in some way.

Sports fans are surely as passionate about their favoured brands as gamers are. There must be a way to bring the two together and profit from that mentality.

Interesting times.

JM

#41 1 year ago
  42. Samoan Spider

@41 Yup, thats my assessment of it too. So many of my real world non gamer friends own a ps3 because they play Fifa. Nothing else. Just that. Acti was to MS as EA was to Sony. If MS becomes synonymous with Fifa, then those same friends of mine will buy the 720 next. Its that simple. Then throw in content deals for sports to be shown and they’ve got a decent revenue stream.

#42 1 year ago
  43. melonbuster1

Madden! !! For xbox GOLD! !! Now the games have begun.. hahaha. If they show the new one only on xbox GOLD Ps4 is dead before they start. . The new dreamcast. . I knew they where going for the knockout. . But damn. They don’t need halo day one or gears if you have madden and battle field 4 … $$$. Cash rules boys. . Last system from Sony

#43 1 year ago
  44. Joe Musashi

I don’t think FIFA/NHL/NFL/NBA etc would favour exclusivity.

Right now EA release games of those brands on a half-dozen platforms. That’s good revenue and good exposure. Especially to the younger demographic using handhelds who may become loyal NFL fans for life. (Get ‘em while they’re young).

Exclusivity would mean giving up a big chunk of an existing demographic. Hoping that all all your PS3 FIFA consumers follow the brand onto the one box exclusivity would allow. That’s quite a large gamble. It might also upset others that benefit from broader exposure – such as advertisers.

Unless there is an unbelievably large moneyhat going around, that is.

So, as far as sports titles go, I’d be surprised if those titles went fully exclusive. But I could well believe that enhanced versions of the games with live stats, ESPN feeds, social networking, or some other cocktail of benefits being exclusive to one platform and a simpler ‘just the game’ version existing elsewhere.

And if those functions used that to justify an always-online connection and micro-transactions.. ..oh my.

JM

#44 1 year ago
  45. mistermogul

@41 – “Both are very smart companies.”

While true, I can’t help but think MS would be even smarter without Steve Bullmer at the helm!

#45 1 year ago
  46. manamana

@Kopite Well Microsoft is infamous for having timed exclusive games and exclusive DLCs. Does it matter if it’s Activision or EA? Seems that Activision also jumped boat with their Destiny reveal at the PS4 event, so I guess it boils down to the same thing.

Oh, and welcome! :-)

#46 1 year ago
  47. theevilaires

Oh great here we go again Microsoft is going to screw up another generation of gaming due to the fact they have no first party games that can rival SONY’s 1st party. Hope you XBOX lovers are proud of your console of choice.

Good thing E.A. don’t have much shit I care about. Only Need for Speed games. (criterion ones)

#47 1 year ago
  48. OlderGamer

Very disapointing if true.

I have really been leaning away from MS as a next gen option. Stupid things like this will just drive me away. At some point gamers need to take a stand. It seems that MS are doing doing so many things that I don’t like in regaurds to their next gen choices.

In five years we might not even reconize console gaming. Or maybe I will have moved 100% to PC.

But, as has been pointed out, we don’t know for sure yet. Best to wait and watch. But I can’t say I am too optimistic.

#48 1 year ago
  49. The_Red

Unless next COD is also going to be timed exclusive, it won’t be rational to turn Battlefield 4 into one (a timed exclusive).

#49 1 year ago
  50. Mike W

I’m about too myself. The favoritism for the PS3 and Xbox has gotten way out of hand. Judging by the comments on here next gen fans are going to be 10 times worst than this generation.

But staying on topic, like I stated earlier, this exclusive DLC bullshit is old and played out. I think’s stupid for either company to do it. But a lot of you dickheads on here can’t get pass the fact that your precious piece of plastic is getting something exclusive over the other piece of plastic.

#50 1 year ago
  51. Da Man

Passion for plastic, allegedly cool CEOs and imaginary characters.

Typical deprived addict behaviour.

#51 1 year ago
  52. daytripper

I would take opinions more seriously if you guys criticised both companies rather than hypocritically slamming one but cheerleading the other when they get exclusive deals.

#52 1 year ago
  53. manamana

Thinking of it, timed exclusive means nothing to me. Should be more intriguing for the younger CoD generation. And I rarely buy DLCs, so to me its depending on the actual games first and for almost. And thats where I am keen what Microsoft has on show…

#53 1 year ago
  54. nollie4545

Reason 99 in the ’101 reasons gamers detest EA…’

Goddamn monopolistic dinosaurs.

#54 1 year ago
  55. DocCylon

I will be mighty pissed if Battlefield 4 has any kind of exclusivity pas the current 1 week later DLC. Seriously, PC is where that shit belongs.

#55 1 year ago
  56. fearmonkey

It’s going to be about temporary exclusivity on DLC and maybe even a few releases, I can’t imagine EA ticking off their Sony fans on the PS4 with any big games.

Rather than these type of deals, I’d rather see MS invest heavily in New IP and maybe bring back some of the old IP that I loved, like mechassualt, Crimson Skies, Kameo, etc. I never understood why MS sold off the fasa licenses. I just remember Peter Moore saying he wanted to focus on the biggest selling titles like perfect Dark Zero…….

#56 1 year ago
  57. manamana

@fearmonkey “Great, so MS will continue their Halo-Fable-GOW franchises while also continually relying on third parties to hold them up rather than invest in new IP.”

They didn’t show anything yet, so how can you be so shure about lack of new IPs?

#57 1 year ago
  58. TD_Monstrous69

This does not suprise me in the least, considering if you’ve seen any of Microsoft’s last 2-3 E3 showcases, EA have been part of it. Plus they did have the Medal of Honor Warfighter beta exclusive to 360, for what that’s worth. If I have to bet, the durango reveal is where Battlefield 4 debuts, and they announce that all dlc for it will show up first on Xbox. Also, my bet is the next-gen Xbox is just called Xbox. Seeing as how it’s what it’s referred to as in mainstream press, and at their E3 showcase. Plus (not to bring up this argument, because it’s annoying, but…..) the XBL/Windows marketplace (though separate) are strikingly similar to Apple’s app store in development nature, structure, and layout. Why not just go complete full circle in copying Apple by them naming their products in a similar manner?

#58 1 year ago
  59. WENDiGO

EA, you’re doing it wrong…xbox people barely even play your games compared to the Playstation and PC players! BF3 is struggling to stay in top 10 on XBL, but now you want to make deals with them? Why are you giving appreciation where it isn’t due?

#59 1 year ago
  60. xino

i smell COD exclusive

#60 1 year ago
  61. Phoenixblight

Of course MS would use the same tactics as they did this gen. WHy make their studios make new games when they can persuade 2rd party with exclusive deals.

One of the reasons why I will not being getting a next gen Xbox.

#61 1 year ago