The Last of Us delay confirmed by Naughty Dog

Wednesday, 13th February 2013 19:13 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Naughty Dog has confirmed that The Last of Us has been delayed into June.

According to a statement from the firm, the new release date will be worldwide on June 14.

“As a team we pride ourselves on setting a very high quality bar for every aspect of our games – gameplay, story, art, design, technology and more,” a Naughty Dog statement VG247 received via email read. “We want to make sure The Last of Us raises that bar even further – for ourselves, and most importantly, our fans.

“As we entered the final phase of development for The Last of Us, we came to realize just how massive Joel and Ellie’s journey is. But instead of cutting corners or compromising our vision, we came to the tough decision that the game deserved a few extra weeks to ensure every detail of The Last of Us was up to Naughty Dog’s internal high standards.”

The same statement is also available on the PS Blog.

The game was announced for a May 7 release during the VGAs in December last year.

1. DGOJG

Disappointing but I hope its more for enhancing the singleplayer experience rather than the multiplayer elements.

#1 1 year ago
  2. ActionGameKing

Don’t know why people keep bringing up the multiplayer. 2 seperate teams are working on the Single Player and Multiplayer sections of the game.

Also, I expected this delay for a while now. Since GTA V was delayed till September, TLOU has some breathing room to add in extra polish. No reason to hurry when there is no competition anymore.

This will be the game of the Summer! You read it hear first!

#2 1 year ago
  3. Dragon246

An empty month, a good choice I guess.

#3 1 year ago
  4. PEYJ

Quite unfortunate. Now the game comes out in the E3 week DURING all the PS4 buzz instead of BEFORE.

#4 1 year ago
  5. ActionGameKing

@4 Good call, forgot about E3′s date! That means TLOU will most likely get one last splurge of E3 promotion right on release. Risky, but gutsy move.

#5 1 year ago
  6. CPC_RedDawn

A shame but not to worry its not that long of a delay. They must have found some pretty nasty bug or glitch or something. There is no way they would still be working on the game now. Its got to be 100% complete and at this time they are doing some last minute checks during its final months. Maybe a bug has appeared that is more serious than they thought.

#6 1 year ago
  7. ArcticMonkey

I care about delays but take your time Naughty Dog! The Last of Us is one of my big three for 2013 and I want it to be perfect (almost no glitches)… The others, GTA V and Bioshock Infinite

#7 1 year ago
  8. TD_Monstrous69

My first thought; NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
    My second thought; Oh well, like I said with Rockstar North delaying GTA V, if they (Naughty Dog) needs more time to finish this game, I say, let em have it. Because they more than deserve it.

#8 1 year ago
  9. LuLshuck

Probably cutting things from the game and releasing it as a season pass

#9 1 year ago
  10. Beta

I was disappointed that Naughty Dog put back the release date first of all.

But now that it’s sunk in I’m pretty positive about it. Extra bug squashing time is always a good thing, and I wouldn’t want the team burning out on crunch time to get the game complete after the stories I heard of Uncharted 3′s crunch time.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Telepathic.Geometry

No problem Naughty Dog, take your time, make it right…

#11 1 year ago
  12. CaptPierce

I’d rather have a slightly delayed awesome game than a rushed, shitty one. It’ll all be worth it!

#12 1 year ago
  13. HauntaVirus

FFS

#13 1 year ago
  14. aaron_avelino

I’m wonderin if they will still showcase it on E3 since its release is on the 14th and E3 is set on 11-13th. Oh well whatever happens i trust NaughtyDog and this delay means more time for me to save up and more time to finish and maximize all the games coming out for the 1st quarter.

#14 1 year ago
  15. theevilaires

If this game still manages to grab GOTY then Naughty Dog has proven they are the best devs this past decade. So glad they are working on the console with the most potential exclusively.

#15 1 year ago