Tomb Raider has gone gold

Thursday, 7th February 2013 22:18 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Tomb Raider is complete, certified, and on its way for manufacturing, Crystal Dynamics has confirmed.

“It’s been a long journey, and it feels like we’ve been on this one together. Thank you for your continued enthusiasm and support since we first revealed our new vision for Tomb Raider to the world,” Crystal Dynamics studio head Darrell Gallagher said in a post on the Tomb Raider Facebook Page.

“Back in 2010 when we announced Tomb Raider we promised to break new ground for the franchise – to create an origins story that forges Lara Croft into a hero, and takes her on a journey like no other. I’m very happy that I can stand by those words today.

“We’ve put everything into this game, and I’m certain we’ve created something that explores Tomb Raider’s history while pushing the limits in interactive storytelling and design. Development has spanned two studios, a pair of E3 stage demos, 50-plus magazine covers, 150 award nominations, nearly 800 fan art submissions, almost 2,000 blog posts, and over 50,000 replies from you on our forums.

“And now it’s time to get the game into your hands. We sincerely hope you enjoy it. We think you will, We are immensely proud of this game.”

Tomb Raider releases on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on March 5.

Thanks, All Games Beta.

1. YoungZer0

#stilldontcare

2. salarta

I keep forgetting that “gone gold” actually means it’s in the midst of being published, and not that it’s somehow an indicator of sales. So for a second I was ready to say “fail.”

Also, I wouldn’t call this “Lara” a hero, or at least not one anywhere near what a great one she was before this game forcibly changed her from an action star to a horror film survivor girl.

3. Talkar

^What is horror in any way about this game or any of the films? o.O
    It is like saying Dead Space or Call of Duty are horror games, when they are just shooters…

4. salarta

@3: Well, first I think I need to say that Dead Space is supposed to be horror. Anyway, when I say Lara is turned into a horror film survivor girl, I’m referring to the role forced on her. The team behind this game plans to present “Lara” as a young girl that’s emotionally terrified and traumatized by everything she goes through, from being shipwrecked to these men trying to hurt, abuse and kill her and other passengers from the ship.

The survivor girl trope is that you have a completely innocent, “pure” sheltered character, often a dainty thing, that through immense trauma and suffering has to force herself to get as vicious and cutthroat as the very people or things trying to kill her, ultimately having her girly innocence lost. In other words, the game is proposing that Lara is not naturally strong, smart, or tough, but that she’s naturally a sheltered “innocent” girl that had to be forced into becoming the strong icon she’s always been. And of course, it’s because of men, both a male mentor and male aggressors, that push her into becoming that way; in no way could Lara, an icon of strong female protagonists, be naturally strong, tough and smart without men to make her that way through a situation she didn’t want to be in. It dismantles everything that made Lara Croft who she was as a character.

5. tmac2011

sweet wont have to wait long i’ll bb in tome for the release

6. _LarZen_

#Day1buy

7. YoungZer0

@3: I dunno, waking up in a cannibal cave, on an island with no help … sounds kind of horrifying to me.

8. Vice

Fingers crossed they didn’t fuck up single player too much because of multiplayer.