PS4 – controller’s “share” button function detailed – rumor

Friday, 1st February 2013 16:12 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

More PS4 rumors have surfaced this morning, with sources telling Edge that the new console will allow users to record and save 15 minutes of gameplay, and that the recently leaked specs for the machine are “accurate”.

The report said users will then be able to edit and share the footage thanks to a sharing function, something which was alluded to in a January report which stated the PS4 controller sported a “Share” button.

Edge also reports that PS4′s controller will feature a “small touchpad in place of the existing Select, Start and PS buttons,” and the tech is based on the Vita touchpad.

PS4 is rumored to be launching in Japan and the US by Christmas, and in Europe during early 2014 alongside a new PlayStation Eye peripheral.

Edge goes to say its source confirmed that the recently leaked specs for the console are accurate, in that Orbis sports 4GB of DDR3 RAM, and that its GDDR5 is “capable of moving data at 176 gigabytes per second.” The firm is also said to be pushing its RAM in order to “match up” to Durango’s rumored 8GB.

PS4 will contain two 4-core AMD CPUs (making it eight as previously reported) clocked at 1.6GHz, thanks to AMD’s ‘R10XX’ architecture and a “Liverpool system-on-chip.”

Sony is “expected” to reveal the new console during a February 20 event in New York City.

1. bitsnark

I quite like the idea of that actually; being able to share 15 minutes of gameplay instantly sounds pretty great :)

2. ManuOtaku

Steph you mean this month, today is february 1

3. kaffikjelen

Then I don’t suppose PS4 controllers will be any cheap.

4. Erthazus

8 GB is still better for most of the developers that are not very experienced with the development because it is easier to store textures and models with this way.

GDDR5 is better speed wise, but only for super experienced devs that has the best dev kits that cost a lot of money. Like all Sony devs or devs like Epic Games or Crytek.

It’s again going to be a Port-battle. I hate this shit. That’s one of the reasons why I hated PS3. Because of proprietary POS I played red Dead Redemption and Bayonetta with worst frame rate and with worst visuals.

So far Next Gen is not really powerfull and based on the PC hardware. I guess people who upgraded their PC this year, they are ready for next gen.

and PC hardware in these consoles are nice. It’s much easier to port from consoles to the PC. Good stuff.

5. monkeygourmet

It’s like onlive and Miiverse had a baby! :)

I expect the feb thing will be the unveiling of the pad, I also think it will look pretty much the same as the Dualshock.

This would maybe explain what there using Gaikai for, onlive used the cloud to store your gameplay clips, it’s a very cool feature.

I expect MS are going to do pretty much exactly the same thing really.

6. theevilaires

8GB is what I’m hoping for. I think they can get away with a 10 year life cycle with that.

7. monkeygourmet

But at the moment it looks like PS4 will have the edge in that department.

8. Psychotext

6GB would do just fine. Machine would be capable of insane things with that much fast RAM.

9. a7md1990

176 Gigabytes??!!!!! Gigabits??

10. Erthazus

It’s edge on the memory is in speed. Theoretically it is more powerfull, but 8 GB is also enough and much better for developers.

My previous PC had 8GB of Ram (DDR3), never used it in full potential in the end. Some games like Metro 2033 required it, but it was not used in full.

11. Christopher Jack

Metro 2033 was just very poorly optimized. Decent looking, nice atmosphere but runs like shit unless you have a good rig. Even on xbox 360 it had terrible frame drops.

12. Razor

8GB DDR3?

wat

13. KarBro

Im getting very excited and curious on how the new controller will look and feel. I guess the specs are good for the likes of me that only play games on consoles.

14. Gadzooks!

Interesting.

Earlier reports had the CPU cores as Bulldozer. The 1.6Ghz clock speed makes this sound like Jaguar cores, same as Nextbox, negating any appreciable performance difference.

Best case scenario for next gen would be identical spec systems from Sony & MS. It would make devs jobs so much easier.

15. daytripper

the photo/video sharing is great. if a miiverse type app was added to psn that would be even better

16. Gadzooks!

We really need confirmation on GPU memory.

Will either machine have any? Xbox has 32mb eDram but the rest unified. Same as current xbox design. 32mb is enough for a 1080p 4xMSAA framebuffer, so no stupid tiling like on the 360.

Some reports had PS4 with separate video ram. I’d have thought they would have learned a lesson from the problems caused by PS3′s segregated memory.

Need moar knowingnesses!

17. theevilaires

We don’t need anything, you’re the one who cares so much about it so you can talk shit about the GPU memory. Its a moot until we can compare the games since 360 GPU is supposedly so superior to PS3 GPU but has no games that come close to the new God of war.

18. monkeygourmet

So… Playstation ‘Share’ as the final name?

19. Gadzooks!

Angry ranting, as usual.

You remember being banned for that don’t you TEA. You remember being forceably ejected from this community don’t you? The sting of the banhammer, the shame of being told you are one of an incredibly small number of posters that are deemed unfit to post here.

Ouch. That had to hurt.

You obviously didn’t learn any lessons though.

Regardless of your sweary outburst I’ll continue to be interested in the makeup of new machines, and I’ll continue to join in the exciting speculative discussion, thank you very much.

20. theevilaires

^ LMFAO I remember taking one for the team…I remember people still leaving this site in droves….I remember seeing the comment section dwindle down to 15 to 0 post on majority of articles….and I certainly remember the warm welcoming I’ve gotten since my return.

Gadfool! face it, you’ll never be as cool as me 8)

21. DSB

Brenna was right.

22. ps4some

I think anyone expecting 8GB of ram on the ps4 is mis-reading the article. It means their 4GB of ddr5 will match the xboxs slower but bigger ddr3 ram.

23. theevilaires

PS4some nice name or alt account ;) I don’t think they will go with 8GB but more would keep those lazy devs from crying so much. They love memory to be lazy.

24. nando

I think you dont even have a gaming pc and abviously you know nothing about technic.Console is not a pc dont need high end components.I have a gaming pc may be 15 times powerful than consoles so where the hell are the games to show me that power clearly? Tell you what it is a big zero no games use the real potential of components,no caompanies move their fingers for pc.Most ps3 exc.games looking much better than most dx11 games.All you get is over resolutioned with AA games thats all.I think the ps4 which you call weak is gonna be at least five times more powerful than your pc when the next gens arrive everybody is gonna say wow.

25. Lounds

@24 though this is true, most dev take time to learn how to use that power, so games don’t start beating PC until around 2 years after the console is released and by that point PC hardware has increased by 50%. PS3 games didn’t start look balls dropping amazing until 2009, but hey 2007 was year of crysis and that still looks amazing the console version is shit, but crytek was a PC only company until they wanted a bigger piece of the pie.

26. nando

I am not a fanboy just a gamer.Honestly i have never seen a game indicates potential power of pc.Crysis imo still the best looking pc game since 2007 but UC3 imo look alot better than Crysis and i cant believe ps3 can run this game with that hardware thats why i am saying consoles dont need high end components.As gpu a hd7850 or 70 makes a console like an untamed beast.

27. mad1723

@9 It’s the memory bandwidth, not the amount. It’s the speed at which it can transfer data to the video memory per second. It’s pretty much on par with the kind of video memory bandwidth we’ve come to expect from high end GPUs these days, with GDDR5 memory. Of course, that, combined with Sea Islands (R10xx as people refer to) should be pretty interesting :)

28. tmac2011

sounds great to show 15 mins of gameplay video, definetly getting a ps4 first cuz idk how to show videos on youtube, if i did i would…..

29. monkeygourmet

I thought this headline was off. Lots of other people are reporting 15 SECONDS, which seems to make much more sense.

I think ONLIVE did 10 seconds (enough to record a cool kill or whatever). 15 minutes seems a bit mental but I may be wrong!

No offence Steph, it’s all rumours anywho! :)

30. Telepathic.Geometry

This sounds like a feature that I could easily do without to be honest. It might be cool to have it for sure, but I’m not sure the uniqueness and fun of the feature justifies the hit on the hardware.

Makes me wonder though, coulkd it be that you could rewind to any point in the last 15 minutes of single-player gameplay with this feature? Does it save the entire game-state as it goes along?

31. monkeygourmet

Honestly dude, not knocking Steph, but I think this is supposed to be 15 seconds…

Otherwise too much bandwidth would get munched or there would have to be editing software built in…

10-15 secs is the sweet spot to record a kill or some cool shit…

ONLIVE had 10 secs and that worked fine.

32. Christopher Jack

I’m not too enthusiastic on the idea of a touch’pad’. I think I’d rather a touch’screen’, they could easily put a 4″ 1280*720 display onto the controller without turning it into a tablet.

Of course it’ll be larger than a regular dualschock controller but it’d be possible. They could also work on the ergonomics of the typical dual shock design, being wider it’d actually be more comfortable- in my opinion, to retain the dual analog sticks on the bottom of the controller. Sort of like this http://goo.gl/Ruoyn I guess.

33. Zohar

@32 I don’t know about 4″. I have about a 4″ screen on my phone and trying to imagine a dual shock esque controller wrapped around that is a little mind bending.

34. Gekidami

I really wouldnt want a screen on the pad, unless they specifically made it into a tab it would be too small, it would just make the pad more fragile, it would pointlessly raise the stand-alone pads price and assuming it would stream data from the console to the pad, it would just take up system resources. Sony already has the optional Vita choice for that kind of thing, it doesnt need to be made mandatory.

35. sg1974

@20 Quite. Psycho, PUDDING, Cort (stopped commenting after Pat let him get lynched by the trolls in that “who should I ban” power trip of his), Blerk, Syroc….. all big contributors from the start, all quit or are only occasional visitors.

Good to see you back. You add much colour. :)

And good to see Psycho making one of his too infrequent visits.