Monaco creator believes Kickstarter stretch goals are “total bullshit”

Tuesday, 29th January 2013 11:16 GMT By Nick Akerman

Andy Schatz, designer of Monaco, hasn’t been tempted to use Kickstarter to help launch his long-awaited indie game. In fact, he believes the Kickstarter stretch goal process is nothing more than “total bullshit.”

Kickstarter opinions engulf the Internet these days, but it’s interesting to get the perspective of a game designer. Schatz isn’t backwards in his hatred for the site that sees many undeveloped ideas funded towards release.

“I have a little bit of an unpopular opinion of Kickstarter,” he told The Penny Arcade Report.

“I’m really glad for the people that have been really successful on Kickstarter, and don’t get me wrong, I really like the idea of free money, but I’m of the opinion that designing a game around a variable budget is a terrible way to design a game. To be frank, I think that stretch goals are total bullshit.”

“This is the idealist game designer in me speaking now,” he continued. “When you’re designing a game, the way I think you should do it, and not everyone is the same way and I recognize that, but the way you should do it is you figure out what the game is, you figure out what the game needs, and you should make that.”

Schatz believes fans can have a greater input in other ways.

“If you are adding in some optional thing to incentivize people to give you money… there’s a difference between allowing your fans to have an extreme amount of input on the game, which I do, the beta testers have an incredible influence on the game, but letting them design the game in the sense of ‘if the budget is this, then I’ll do this, and if the budget is that, then I’ll do that,’ that to me sounds like the perfect way to make a game that’s insufficiently complete or bloated.”

Do you agree with his opinion?

1. TheWulf

I don’t think we can objectively say one way or another until we start seeing some results from it. I’ll say though that the non-videogame stuff I’ve got from Kickstarter has been nothing short of awesome. It’s also kind of myopic to think of Kickstarter as an only-videogames thing, too. They don’t make or break Kickstarter, and they actually account for a smaller slice of the pie if you account for successful projects across the board.

Whether or not it’s actually “bullshit” depends on the results we get from the videogame Kickstarters, but if they’re as good as the rest, then… honestly? No, I wouldn’t call them bullshit. In fact, Kickstarter is the only way that certain types of games can even happen.

A nice example of this is Freedom Planet. Without a Kickstarter, that’d likely end at a two level demo, like fan games almost always do; but now it actually has a shot at becoming a thing.

So… we’ll see?

2. Old MacDonald

1: Not sure what you’re responding to? He isn’t saying Kickstarter is bullshit. Only the concept of stretch goals.

I kinda agree with what he’s saying. Stretch goals seem to either be things they are planning to do anyway (in which case they seem a bit dishonest, and I’m always somewhat annoyed when devs say “you know that stretch goal we didn’t reach? guess what? we took another look at the budget, and we’re going to do it anyway!”), or things that seem a bit bolted on. The feeling I often get from these things is that the devs are holding certain features ransom.

3. dex3108

My only problem with stretch goals is that they are risky. What if they don’t reach goal for Linux support for example? Should than all Linux backers withdraw their money? And if they do that maybe other stretch goal will be compromised etc. I thing that some devs should do things even if they don’t get money for them because in past some of the best games are made in garage without any money. This way they will show that they are making game because they love to work on games and not for the money.

4. TheWulf

“In fact, he believes the Kickstarter process is nothing more than “total bullshit.”” — The article.

I’m sorry?

5. absolutezero

“To be frank, I think that stretch goals are total bullshit.”

Thats the direct quote of what he said.

wut

6. TheWulf

Then the article is wrong. That’s what I was responding to.

So uh… what?

7. absolutezero

So you took umbrage to one incorrect line and typed up an entire reply about something that has nothing to do with the article?

okie dokie.

8. Nick Akerman

My bad, slightly misworded, updated. I’m sure you got the jist though.

9. absolutezero

Oh it was easily understandable just you know, autism is a horrible thing.