Sony kicks off Vita referral incentive for US residents

Saturday, 26th January 2013 14:20 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Sony has introduced a Vita referral programs which will hands out $20 in PSN credit along with 1,000 Sony Reward Points for every person who purchases the handheld after you recommend it.

There’s even a “prize” allocated for the person who refers the most friends: 1 million Sony Reward Points.

Those referred will also be given $20 in PSN credit. The referrals themselves don’t have cap, but the “rewards” do: you will only be able to earn up to 10 bonuses. The rest of your referrals will be only be applied towards the grand prize once your 10 have been registered.

The offer is only available in the US, and you must be 18 years or older to participate, and the catch is that contestants may use “only email, Facebook, Twitter and a referral card to communicate effectively to friends/family members the qualities and benefits of the PS Vita.”

Sony’s Vita referral program ends on February 28. You can register and find out more information thorough the official site created for the incentive.

Thanks, NeoGAF.

1. OlderGamer

Just lower the price, even by 20usd, it would make more sense and help more I think.

2. Clupula

Considering the system is like $250 or something like that, I’d say $20 is still not enough to lower it. They’ve got to match the price of the 3DS, at least.

3. monkeygourmet

Exactly.

Are Sony really I that bad shape they can’t afford to drop it to £129 or £150?

Also memory cards need to be about £5 max for 8gb, so stupidly priced at the moment.

By the time they drop the price, all the good titles and franchises will have gone to 3DS.

4. DeVitowned

Only reason I refuse to buy the Vita is it’s 3G locked to AT&T. Make one unlocked and you’ve got a deal.

5. OlderGamer

I agree that much bigger drop would be best, I was just suggesting that instead of giving away 20usd in “Value” as PSN credit…just take that 20usd off of the price.

The samething happened in the console market. Instead of dropping the purchase price into affordable ranges for more would be buyers, they leave the price the same, but increase the “Value” by bundling extra stuff in the box. That is great, unless you can’t afford the price on the box to begin with. Someone could offer me a 1million doller sports car for just 10,000. But if I can’t afford 10,000, it isn’t much of a deal to me. I hate when game companies do that, a pet peave if ya will.

And lets be honest 20usd psn credit isn’t going to bring gamers running to the store.

Again just lower the price. I bet if the price was the same as 3DSxl, it would sell a ton better. But every week, month, and year that goes by…is one too many to turn it around.

6. DrDamn

@OG
    There’s an important difference between $20 off the price the console and $20 of PSN vouchers though. $20 off the price costs Sony $20, $20 of PSN vouchers is a lot less costly to Sony. They take a cut of anything bought, it may well be Sony published taking the cost down further and more stuff to download = more need for bigger memory cards, and we know how much they make on those! A $20 PSN voucher may actually end up costing them only $5-$10 in real terms. It’s still worth $20 to the person who gets it though. Companies are always looking for low cost / high value ways to sweeten deals with customers.

It’s not going to have a huge impact though – big price drop is needed.

7. OlderGamer

Yeah, I know all of that Doc, that is why they do it. But in the end it isn’t going to make much of a difference. If the system was 150usd I would already own on myself.

8. DrDamn

Oh I agree – it needs to be cheaper to sell. For whatever reason they don’t seem to be able to do that yet, so they will offer value in other ways. Just pointing out that it isn’t a case of just take the $20 off the console instead.

I noticed throughout the PS3/360 generation there weren’t so many big and obvious drops in price. Even where there were more substantial ones the period preceding the drop there was more and more value being added to bundles. So the effect was really a very gradual drop.

9. polygem

i think i’m done with the vita, even if the price goes down. the 3ds has all the games i need and i really only need one handheld…just checked the ps+ offers for this month though…if you own a vita it really is an awesome deal.

10. stevenhiggster

I love my Vita but I wouldn’t go out of my way to recommend it to anyone else. It just so happens that I’m a massive WipEout fanboy so for me it was worth it just for that!

I think in order for it to get some success it needs to drop to no more than £169.99 and come bundled with at least a 4gb mem card, my biggest bug bear is that you absolutely need a mem card and yet it doesn’t even come with 1gb or anything! Even the PSP which essentially needed a mem card came bundled with a 32mb card. Also the memory cards need to at least half in price.
    Oh and some decent advertising might help too.

11. Mike W

yea I think they should just drop the price and release more games for the damn thing.

No I don’t think so, they just want as much money as they can get.

12. Dragon246

Drop it to less than 200 or don’t drop it at all. Another year of sales like this and it will start affecting the games being developed for it.

They aren’t doing that since they don’t want any losses, vita is pretty profitable now, my guess is a profit in this fiscal year will result in substantial price drops for both ps3 and vita. So just 3-4 months before the balls are dropped :)

13. loveaya

Sorry, SONY, i can’t make anyone of my friends buy a crap handheld console~

14. BraveArse

I really like my vita, but have never understood this type of promotion. I’d never try to sell my friends on something like this, it would just feel crass.

15. woe

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

16. Kabby

“I’d never try to sell my friends on something like this, it would just feel crass.”

It’s an American promotion. Being crass comes naturally.

17. Clupula

I wouldn’t have a problem with it if I believed it was the best handheld system. My friends and people who know me usually come to me about videogame questions and I’ve shown about a dozen people I know that a PS3 is the better system for them to buy, as far as home consoles go.

But if you’re choosing between handhelds, I don’t really see what the Vita has to offer, except in tech, over the 3DS. Games are barely coming out for it and the system is way overpriced.

I give people advice based on what I honestly feel is better for them, not based on what’s going to give me a free card of some sort.