The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD shots look super lovely

Wednesday, 23rd January 2013 19:36 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Nintendo has released screenshots of The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD. The shots were posted on the publisher’s Wii U Facebook page, and follow today’s announcement that the game will release on Wii U in the fall, with a significant HD upgrade. A video featuring Zelda producer Eiji Aonuma was also release today, and while it is included in the original post, we’ve stuck in in here again for you.

1. monkeygourmet

Perfect example of timeless art direction over graphical grunt.

Coupled with some awesome gameplay, whats not too like?!

Best Zelda game for me, can’t wait for this.

2. monkeygourmet

@Steph

Are you getting a Wii U now?! ;)

3. CyberMarco

In before “Don’t need shitty console with chicken sink controller, my PC-emulator has AA, super textures, 3D super wow” comments.

4. DrDamn

Errr, so it’s not an good example of graphical grunt enhancing timeless art direction? :)

5. JimFear-666

same game over and over….

ewwwwww

6. JimFear-666

n/a

7. Cobra951

@1: This game has the advantage to be more about procedural rendering than textures. It’s a look that is *still* pleasing when played on a Wii or GC with progressive-scan capabilities through RGB-component cables. It’s a perfect candidate for a good-looking update on the WiiU, and I imagine the Tingle extra stuff will go on the pad controller. The original needs a GBA and link cable to make that functionality usable.

8. monkeygourmet

Argh! This is true, now I don’t know what to believe! ;)

Good info on the tingle stuff, I didn’t know about that, sounds like the perfect combo!

9. polygem

one of my fave games of all time. stylized graphics > realism. games just age better. cannot wait to play this on the wiiu gamepad again. relaxed. no need to rush. windwaker gameplay. I’M ON A BOAT

@7: finally, tingle miiverse drawings! haven’t seen a single one yet strangely.

10. manamana

Although I like the art-style a lot, I hardly see a real effect for HD. I mean cel shading works proper on the GC. More AA and widescreen okay, but its not *that* big of a leap graphics wise. And I found those shipping passages annoying, lol!

11. theevilaires

YES! I want it Nintendo! Give it to me fast and cheap! :D

12. Ireland Michael

Holy crap.

*salivates all over the floor*

13. Kabby

Super lovely in title. Must be a Steph post.

14. CyberMarco

some screenshots comparison.

15. Stephany Nunneley

@2 Probably so! :D Damn it, anyhow.

16. Moonwalker1982

Oh my…QUITE the difference, jesus. Take that ‘HD’ releases nowadays, wow.

17. HauntaVirus

Very cool, I’ll buy a Wii U just for this game.

18. monkeygourmet

Well played Nintendo… Well played…

19. absolutezero

I fucking abhor Tingle. I hate him so very very much.

Also LttP is and always will be best Zelda. knthnx. Objective fact! Metacritic reviews fan blah and blah mean this is a fact and if you think otherwise you are entitled.

20. fengato

Truly beautiful. I wish the big N used the same artstyle for Skyward Sword instead of what we ended up with.

21. Telepathic.Geometry

I wonder if they intend to build in those last two dungeons that were originally cut while they’re at it?

22. fengato

@21 That would make me shell out for a U. Dolphin does a great job of emulating the WW already (including excellent widescreen support).

23. The_Red

Holy mother of god, this looks beyond beautiful. The classic art combined with the new lighting system looks…

It doesn’t hurt that IMHO Wind Waker is the best Zelda game after A Link to the Past. This plus Wonderful 101 plus Bayonetta 2 make Wii U really tempting again.