Planetside 2 dev has ‘proven’ it can bring games to PS3, teases new projects

Tuesday, 18th December 2012 16:02 GMT By Dave Cook

Planetside 2′s John Smedley has become a mainstay on these pages for being so damn quotable. This time he’s been discussing his studio Sony Online Entertainment’s capability for bringing its games to PS3. He believes it can be done. Find out what he had to say below.

Speaking with OPM, Smedley responded to a question about the ability of console manufactures to bring free-to-play titles to their respective formats.

“We’re in a unique position,” he said. “We have two operating free-to-play games on PS3 right now – DC Universe and Free Realms. Actually, 70% of our revenue comes from PS3. So we’re uniquely placed having helped to build the PlayStation Network in the first place. PSN has the ability right now to handle free-to-play games, and it does so very well”.

He also believes that PS3 and Sony are in a good place when it comes to handling F2P titles, “The way I see it in the future… There seems to be this argument going round that we’re going to see the last of consoles – and to me there’s this very simple delineation. For me my computer is in my office at home, and my TV is in my living room.

“Consoles are a different type of gaming for me, and I play different games on different devices – but I think the free-to-play model works awesomly on consoles and I think you’re going to see more of it as time goes on. It’s going to be much more prevalent on consoles”.

The site then asked Smedley if he could see Planetside 2 hitting PS3, to which he replied, “What I’d say is – SOE has proven that we can bring our games to the PS3, and it’s fair to say that we’ve got some other stuff out there cooking. I can’t tell you what platforms it’s for, but we’re really excited about it”.

Would you play Planetside 2 on PS3? Let us know below.

1. Erthazus

“I can’t tell you what platforms it’s for”

PS4 port of Planetside 2 and maybe Everquest 3.

Well obviously, because PS3 can’t do shit anymore.

2. TheOutcastWolf

@1 *cough*… WAHAWHAWHAWHAHWAHWAHWAHAW! NO.

Remember the PS3′s processor? That wonderful machinery that has ‘cell’ technology and allows the console to work properly even with 1/2 GB of RAM? Mate if you had played the Dust 514 Beta (also given for free here at VG247 thank you very much) you’d see that the console ain’t quite dead yet… Now what I do know is that they MIGHT have something for the Vita, which clearly would be… outstanding… ly… AWESOME!

3. Erthazus

“Dust 514 Beta”

Is nowhere near the scale of Planetside 2.

“Remember the PS3′s processor? That wonderful machinery that has ‘cell’ technology and allows the console to work properly even with 1/2 GB of RAM?”

Yeah I remember that shitty processor that was weaker then standard Intel’s grandma Dual core processor after few months.

Also, PS3 does not have 1 or 2 GB of Ram, it has 256 mb of ram. Lol.

4. TheOutcastWolf

@3 Ohhohoh, mate if your fanboynism can’t open your.. wait

@4 I can’t believe I clicked this shit.

@3 Anywho, I SAID 1/2 GB THAT IS HALF (0.5) GB, for mathematics sake don’t you know what ‘/’ means?! And yes Dust 514 could go anywhere near P2, you have to play it though…

You clearly know nothing about consoles, that said you just bought a machine, be it PC or console, just to play your casual games and without even the curiosity of how the specs actually affect the hardware

5. Erthazus

“Ohhohoh, mate if your fanboynism can’t open your.. wait”

Fanboyism? you mean your Sony fanboyism?

“Anywho, I SAID 1/2 GB THAT IS HALF (0.5) GB, for mathematics sake don’t you know what ‘/’ means?!”

What 1/2 GB have to do with 256 mb ram?

“And yes Dust 514 could go anywhere near P2, you have to play it though…”

No, it can’t. I played the beta and it is nowhere near the scale of Planetside 2. Nowhere near.
    I’m not saying that Dust 514 is a bad game, it’s actually good, but it is not at the same scale as Planetside 2.

“just to play your casual games”

what casual games I play then?

6. TheOutcastWolf

@6 ‘Your Sony fanboynism’

Just because I don’t defend your ridiculous opinion towards a great console that wouldn’t make me a Fanboy by the nature. That said I am a PC gamer mostly, and I own each of the current gen gaming consoles so I can taste each particular games and advantages

’256 MB RAM’

I’m not sure if my statement was clear, I went mad because you made a maths mistake, but nevertheless I am not sure if it is a forth of GB or half GB ram, from what I’ve seen in most specs it is half GB.

‘Nowhere near the scale’

‘What casual games I play then’

It was an assumption related to the way you acted

7. rrw

” 70% of our revenue comes from PS3″

Really? I found that surprising

8. TheOutcastWolf

@8 Yea, the quantity of services in the PC version of their games and the PC exclusives would easily overcome the PS3′s revenue

9. Erthazus

“Just because I don’t defend your ridiculous opinion towards a great console”

You are the only one who said that i’m a fanboy of “something”.

“I went mad because you made a maths mistake”

where is my math incorrect? You said 1/2 GB of ram. Playstation 3 does not even have that 0.5 mb. that you figured out. Scientist. Lawl.

“From what I’ve seen yes it is near the scale of P2, mainly in graphical patterns and the level design.”

from what you have seen, you have seen nothing, but I played both games. Forgelight Engine that is used for Planetside 2 is powered by physX and Real-time radiosity that makes it completely clear to everyone that Playstation 3 game is not on the horizon for the near future. Not to mention about Eye adaptation & high dynamic range(HDR) lighting.

Dust 514 on the other hand is made on Unreal engine 3 and the scale is not that massive compared to Planetside 2 where you can have for like 20+ tanks and other vehicles not to mention that Zone’s have phasing which requires a lot of resources.

10. ps3fanboy

Ohhohoh fanboys… i bet its not coming for the ps3, when ps4 arrive next year.