BioWare had a 007 meets Jason Bourne title in the works during 2009

Thursday, 6th December 2012 17:34 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Trent Oster has revealed EA Edmonton, also known as BioWare, had a spy RPG in the works during 2009 before it was cancelled by EA.

Speaking with Eurogamer, Oster said the project “failed to survive the recession,” and was being worked on under the development name Agent. Not that Agent, mind you.

“It had a working title of Agent,” he said. “The concept was to do the other half of GoldenEye, the idea being that James Bond isn’t just a gun that walks around the world and shoots people. He’s a suave manipulator, he’s a talented martial artist, he’s a secret agent.

“We wanted to cross that 007 with Jason Bourne, where he’s been modified in some way; you’re not sure what, but he’s definitely deadly.

“We really wanted to push the acting side, the digital acting. We really wanted to be very high drama, very intense scenes. I always think of the scene in the second Bourne movie where Jason Bourne’s choking the guy out with a book and he’s right in his face and it’s this very intense moment. That was one of the key things we wanted to carry off.”

Oster said that “fundamentally EA didn’t believe in the concept,” so it wasn’t given the green light.

“It doesn’t matter how hard you struggle you just can’t make it happen if the company’s not behind it.”

We know that’s technically The Professor from The Bourne Identity in the header, but, it’s what we personally think would have been a good mash-up for a 007/Bourne spy fella.

1. Ercarret

This seems very much like Alpha Protocol. The only thing missing is a couple of references to 24.

Too bad that it got canned, though. Alpha Protocol-lookalike or not, the world needs more modern spy RPGs.

2. YoungZer0

Kind of funny how he doesn’t mention Alpha Protocol at all.

Too bad though, their version sounds hell of a lot better (Though i doubt the writing will allow the character to be an absolute psycho-douche).

3. DSB

I don’t see why you’d mention Alpha Protocol unless you were talking about how not to do a spy RPG.

Then again, that pretty much sounds like it fits. Anyone can do a b-movie action game and call it a spy game. But it’s still just an action game with a gimmick.

I think spy games are much better off playing on the covert stuff, like Spycraft or Covert Action or those types of games. Even Uplink.

I guess it would be a non-starter, but I’d like it if videogames could find a way to capture the mood of something like John le Carre.

4. Cobra951

“Well, this is what you get Bioware. You deserve every little bit of it. You sold yourself out and now you can produce mediocre Star Wars MMO’s and Mass Effect games till you die.”

@2:

Better said than what I was going to post.

5. YoungZer0

@3: To be clear i thought that Alpha Protocol was a bad game, but it seems to be the only Spy-RPG.

Anyway, what i want to see is a game like the movie Body of Lies. It’s very much the opposite of Bond and i love it. It feels real, dirty and smart. I love the Bourne series too but in those Bourne isn’t really on a mission, he’s usually always being hunted.

It should have the tight gameplay of a Splinter Cell Conviction though. I really think that’s what a spy game – even a spy rpg – should be like, fast, fluid and adaptable.

6. roadkill

Why would he mention Alpha protocol!? You only mention other games if you take inspiration from them or if they’re similar. And Bioware (awesome) games are in no way similar to Obsidian (crappy) games.

7. Vincent

Alpha Protocol came out in 2010, this was cancelled in 2009… why would they mention it?

8. absolutezero

Tinker, Tailer, Soldier, Spy : The Game.

I would not buy that.

9. YoungZer0

@8: God yes. The direction was beautiful, but the cut made, what is a fairly easy to follow plot, a complete and utter disaster. The movie had no flow.

10. DSB

@8 Yeah… Me neither.

I guess I meant to say “More *like* le Carre”. When I think of spies I don’t think of action, action only happens when you fail. I think it’s all about suspense, and not getting caught.

That’s what makes a spy a spy. Otherwise he’s just a burglar and a tattle tale, which is what [random useless husk of a videogame director] thinks is cool.

I guess Splinter Cell or Hitman (at least the older iterations) make decent examples of games that do a good job of suspense, in my opinion.