Xbox 720 to release in 2013 holiday period – rumour

Thursday, 29th November 2012 23:52 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Anonymous sources have said the next Xbox console, commonly referred to by the nickname Xbox 720 or rumoured codename Durango, is pegged for a late 2013 launch.

Bloomberg cites “people familiar with the company’s plans” for word of Microsoft’s alleged schedule.

The sources asked not to be identified as Microsoft’s plans are under wraps, but said the next console should arrive in time for Thanksgiving sales.

Microsoft is said to have not yet decided whether to debut the hardware at E3 2013 or to host a dedicated event.

The new rumours align with a bevy of whispers which have increased in volume over the last eighteen months, all pointing at 2013 launches – or at least reveals – for new Microsoft and Sony consoles. Nintendo’s latest offering, the Wii U, makes its European debut tonight, and is already available in the US and Australia. Development kits have been spotted in the wild, which certainly lines up nicely.

This latest report runs counter to word that magazines would debut the next Xbox as early as December.

VG247 has been told the new Xbox will feature a Blu-ray and require an always-on Internet connection.

Thanks, GameInformer.

1. Uncontested

So PS4 better come out in Fall 2013.. lol

2. daytripper

Hope it’s as good as the 360 has been

3. Dark

People you should read this too , there is a good chance it could be true

4. Phoenixblight

All hearsay. A guy gets a couple of leaks correct even though it was as obvious as the sun somehow supposed to believe this person has all the secrets of the big three and then this guy goes off to use his “friends” hearsay as proof.

Yeah I am more likely to believe that an invisible pink unicorn had impregnated my wife.

5. daytripper

Had a giggle at that “report”, confident that a lot of what was written is made up garbage

6. Moonwalker1982

It really sounds quite cool and all but yeah, it’s nothing but rumours. A new Legacy of Kain on Unreal Engine 4? Sign me up right away, but i won’t believe it until they confirm it. One thing is for sure though, next year should be really interesting. Something has to and will happen, in terms of next-gen unveilings.

And that Xbox world magazine doesn’t mean a thing. They love to write nonsense…they’ve had games mentioned on their cover as if they were confirmed games, and it was nothing but something in their rumour section, nah.

7. Telepathic.Geometry

I thought they might try to hang in until 2014, to keep costs down and prevent the 360 fiasco of high fail rates in the hardware, but I guess the market is really hurting for new tech now, and the sooner the better…

8. Cobra951

A forced online connection = no sale for me, regardless of how good anything else might be. It really is that simple.

9. Fin

If they can get the chip yields up, I can see this.

Everything I’ve seen so far points to Q1 2014 though.

Edit: Ya that dualpixels thing sounds like bs.

10. Gheritt White

@3: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

11. Hcw87

Yeah, because a stable internet connection is sooo rare in 2013. OH wait.

12. monkeygourmet

It’s probably more to do with what comes ‘with’ this always on connection…

Namely, more DRM, more adverts, Kinect always on scanning tech, no second hand market, more control basically.

That always favours the company over the consumer.

Also, a lot of countries have poor Internet infrastructure.

Having an always on connection would put me off too.

13. friendlydave

@11 I live in a town in England, not far from major cities and it was only this September that we could get fibre optic, And even then it’s the lowest speed one they offer with frequent drops and terrible speeds.

An always on connection would stop me from getting one too. UK broadband is pretty terrible.

and what MG said.

14. Hcw87

We don’t know what allways-on means. Do you have to be online the first time you boot up a game to authenticate it’s authenticity (anti piracy)? It doesn’t have to mean you have to be connected just to play a singleplayer game.

15. Cobra951

@12:

Thank you for saving me the time. Some people just don’t get it. When choice is taken away, so is freedom, and so is ownership. Gaming becomes a service over which we have no real say. They can alter games or take them away on a whim. Now, when we disagree, we simply play offline. In their sad vision for the future, we submit, or do without entirely.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the stability of the internet–not that it’s true that it has perfect reliability. In many places, it has no reliability at all.

16. deathm00n

You from the upper countries should look down to us sometimes and see here isn’t the same as there. I live in Brazil and I’ve never used a internet connection that uses fibre optic, mine (and of most of us) internet download speed is 250kb/s, and when rains my connection is lost until stops because of bad cables, I can’t play most of the games I have online because of this (Red Dead Redemption, AC: Revelations, uncharted 3, all play like shit). So yes, Xbox 720 is def a no buy for me if always online is present in it.

17. ManuOtaku

I would not get it either if the always connected online is true for all the previous reasons stated by the above commenters (deathmoon, cobra), monkey, etc), well at the price consoles are in my country, they are doing me a favor ;)

18. OlderGamer

Don’t be shocked if there aren’t two xboxs coming up. One for next holiday, service focused with some casual streaming games. And another also service focused but with the ability to play games from the box(like a traditional console) that will come out one year later.

Just saying wouldn’t shock me. MS is eye’n a lot more then delivering you the newest Halo game.

19. demoundlee20001

“720 will lose money if we can’t play offline”.

20. N2O1990

“VG247 has been told”=another lame rumor,don’t even know why people fall to that