Wii U sold out Stateside? Not for long, says Reggie

Tuesday, 20th November 2012 09:38 GMT By Dave Cook

Wii U sales have led to a shortage of stock in the US, several sources claim, but Nintendo of America head Reggie Fils-Aime has confirmed in a new TV interview that stock levels will be replenished by Black Friday, and again for Christmas. Check out the clip below.

Speaking with CNBC, Fils-Aime was asked if more Wii U stock would be available for Christmas, to which he replied, “There will be some available – not only for Christmas. We’ll have more available on Black Friday in retail locations.”

He said this while a middle aged man played NintendoLand Zelda on a GamePad and his buddy waved a WiiMote around like a clown. Watch it here.

It comes as Venturebeat published a report stating that most US retailers were out of Wii U stock, and were unsure of when they were getting a re-stock.

In Reggie we trust?

Thanks Go Nintendo.

1. DarkPyroZXA

really? sold out already? well that’s pretty good of Nintendo then, i still wont be picking up a Wii U any time soon, still seems too kiddish for my liking, but maybe when a price drop happens i will get one, mind you the only reason i could think of why they would drop the price is when the other next-gen consoles are released in the next year or so, and if that were to be the case then i would likely spend my money on those instead of the Wii U

#1 1 year ago
  2. viralshag

So far I haven’t seen or heard anything that makes me want to run out and buy one. If anything, I’m glad I didn’t consider it as it seems to have a few issues and rather average looking games.

With a new Xbox around the corner, I would rather wait for that.

#2 1 year ago
  3. monkeygourmet

It makes me laugh when people say that.

There is absolutely NO concrete info on 720 or PS4′s launch date yet.

If anything, the Wii U can afford MS and Sony hanging onto their current consoles for another 2 years.

We have parity for the first time in years, the Vita’s connectivity is being explored and Smart Glass has just released.

Next year we have:

Last of Us
    New Gears of War
    New god of War
    Bioshock
    GTA 5
    New COD by the looks of it
    Dragons Dogma 2

And loads more.

That’s all on current gen tech. I hardly think anyone’s in a rush to give up on all that extra revenue.

What I’m saying is, you may be waiting along time.

Your other points are valid, but if you think the launch of 720 and PS4 are going to be completly smooth, you may be mistaken.

Looks like Sony are trying to follow suit, in that respect, the Wii U may be the last ‘console’.

I’m hoping to see more stuff like Vanquish and Bayonetta on it due to cheaper production values when the new consoles launch.

MS and Sony can keep Gears of Duty 7 with mega high production values considering it’ll be the same game we’ve already played ad nauseum on the 360 / PS3.

#3 1 year ago
  4. viralshag

@3, Regardless of how long a wait it is, I would rather save money for that than drop it on a console that doesn’t really have much to offer over the last/current gen consoles. What’s the point in buying a new console to play games that my other two already can?

The 360 right now is better than it’s ever been in my opinion. I pay for cable TV, I still have to put up with adverts now and then if I drift from the movie channels. It hardly ruins my experience there just like the ads on the 360.

#4 1 year ago
  5. DrDamn

“That’s presuming people actually like the directions the new consoles take. To me, the 720 is going to be more of a set top box from the direction MS is heading. Adverts, movies, subscriptions etc…”

You don’t see WiiU heading that way too? TVii, supporting external hard drives, web browser. The WiiU won’t be any more of a console than PS4 or 720 in my opinion.

Agree the next console launches are hardly going to be flawless though. Nintendo have a bit of time to make their proposition more attractive in the interim.

#5 1 year ago
  6. ManuOtaku

I always have thought the WiiU will do good for a number of reasons, but especially because the difference between the new consoles from sony and microsoft with the WiiU will be not as big as this gen, the WiiU already is more advance than the 360 and ps3, something the wii was not compare with the xbox, which will increase the third party support with more titles that even when the other two consoles arrive it will have them in scalable form, becuase it will run those engines with lower specs, but it will run them, something the wii didnt do, for example the lack of unreal engine, and cryengine.

Also they are opening even more to the indie comunity with the unity deal, that will help them a lot too with more titles to be found on the WiiU, last but not least i think the miiverse and other applications will have an interesting appeal to gamers of all kind, for casuals to more avid gamers, also the asynchronous gameplay style with the new gamepad, its something new and fun that will cater to a lot of consumers, therefore in my eyes the WiiU will be the sum of all of the before mentioned things, and for that i think it will have a bright future, i can only say success to Nintendo.

#6 1 year ago
  7. monkeygourmet

Each to his own.

My 360 and to a lesser extent PS3 has given me many years of gaming fun which looks to continue next year.

Dropping money on the Wii U now doesn’t seem a risk to me:

Nintendoland
    Scribblenauts
    NSMB 2
    Zombie U
    Lego Undercover
    p 100 or whatever it’s called

All exclusives that will keep me very happy in between the 360 / PS3 exclusives. I understand why your apprehensive though, loads of good stuff on 360 at the moment.

I just love the look of the Wii U pad! ;)

I know what you mean, but I just feel Nintendo HAD to add those functions rather than it being their main marketing model.

For some reason, they just seem more ‘game & fun’ focused to me, especially couch co-op which I love.

Just look at interviews with Miyamoto and such, so much love for creativity.

I’m really hoping as games costs go up, titles like Bayonetta 2 start to get hoovered up by Nintendo.

#7 1 year ago
  8. DrDamn

It opens the door to new revenue streams.

Really get your point on couch coop though. Something which has been near abandoned in favour of online on the 360 and PS3 – not necessarily just by platform holders but most publishers too. Its a big attraction of the WiiU for me too.

#8 1 year ago
  9. monkeygourmet

Check the forum post I just made on Miiverse, would like to hear your opinion on that! ;)

#9 1 year ago
  10. Cobra951

The lack of tech advancements would not keep me from buying the system if it had a game library I wanted. Likewise, miraculous technology under the hood would not induce me to buy it with its current software lineup. It’s all about the games. If good ones that I can’t play on the systems I already own ever get here, I’ll think about it again.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Spitfire

Wii U isn’t really that big of a deal. In the area I live, none of the stores here have run out of stock (not even the Deluxe) yet. Heck, the store I work at has a mountain of Wii U Deluxe just collecting dust, because our corporate buyers bought into the hype Nintendo pumped into their advertising campaigns.

#11 1 year ago