Black Ops: Declassified ‘not about the campaign, it’s multiplayer-focused’, says dev

Monday, 15th October 2012 15:41 GMT By Dave Cook

Call of Duty: Black Ops Declasified is heading to PS Vita, courtesy of Nihilistic, developer of Resistance: Burning Skies. The studio has stated that he game isn’t about the big cinematic campaign, but more about mutliplayer focus.

Speaking on the Activision One of Swords blog, Nihilistic CEO Robert Huebner stated, “Declassified is not about the big campaign storyline and huge cinematics, it’s more focused on the multiplayer essence of Call of Duty and bringing that to a portable device as completely as possible, and in bringing short, objective-based missions and score-driven gameplay with lighter story elements to create what we call the Operations missions. Then adding in some bonus modes like Time Trials and Hostiles to make a product that delivers the core Call of Duty experience in a mobile package.”

That’s fine, but VG247 saw the game’s multiplayer in action at gamescom this year and it didn’t look all that inspiring. Check out what we thought below:

Black Ops: Declassified multiplayer – shooting blanks

Despite this, Huebner added that he doesn’t want fans to perceive Declassified as a port of the original Black Ops, which is exactly what it felt like to us in the appraisal above.

Thoughts guys and girls?

Thanks Gamespot.

1. diego-rbb-93

Trying to justify themselves, so they doesnt have to explain why the Campaign they built is so shitty, just like Resistance… Man, every word that come from this guys and Activision about the game, feels like they are spitting in your face.

4Vs4, I dont understand why they cant keep more players online, Vita should be enoght powerfull to keep at least 6Vs6, it feels small. Not mentioning all the Black Ops recycled maps.

I didnt ask for MP on this game because I knew it would be there, I just wanted exclusive contents for this games, like a Campaign with an interesting COD plot and some kickass levels and good actions moments. They are telling me basically that I should stay away as much as can from this game.

Ill repeat it all the time I can: The Nihilistic Studio is one of the worst in the industry. Having Activision, Treyarch, Sony (and Insomniac for Resistance too) as extremely big resources for making a game based on a huge hit that still have a lot of potencial for evolution… And you come with “this”.

Sony has a big problem with Vita. They dont have only to deal wth all the 3rd parties so they build games for the machine… They have to see how they bring average/bad games to the console. Pray for Assasins Creed 3 Liberation being a real hit, if its a big failed port like this one…

2. DrDamn

“a Campaign with an interesting COD plot and some kickass levels and good actions moments.”

I just don’t think that works on a hand held though – and they know it. The quality of what they produce may not be good but I think the approach is correct. What they are talking about for a SP experience will work a lot better on a handheld.

3. _LarZen_

Ah okay…thanks for the article. Saved me some money.

4. jeffb01

wow. every single story about this game makes me want it less than I did before I read the story. I’ll probably still pick it up if there is a substantial single player because I love my vita… but I’m not sure.

5. KrazyKraut

So…Ragnarok Odyssey and MUD this year.
    We need to wait for Killzone. I am sure they will do the better FPS on the VITA.

6. diego-rbb-93

#2 DrDamn. Them, we should throw Uncharted Golden Abyss to the toilet? I understand the point completely, but that idea its emphasizing in the iOS area, and this isnt iOS. Beyond being a mobile device, Vita was born as a console too.

Maybe the experience should be build in a differente way as you say, but the emotions and the kickass moments should stay there. Maybe the campaign should be done in a system like the one in Unit 13, using short levels, but that doesnt mean they cannot be as epic as the original ones from his big brother on PS3, and that is what this guy is saying that I wont find in this game.

Vita its telling the devs that maybe you have to redesign the forms, but the content and the experiences can be the same or even better if you build the game as a PS3 experience. Vita was build to have on the go those Big consoles experience. And Third Parties arent able to show that for the moment. At least Kojima understood that idea with PSP and Peace Walker, a brilliant masterpiece for a mobile device.

I really hope Killzone will show all devs how things must be done. Thats what im talking about, and the only trailer released for now, was able to destroy every posibility about buying this game. Man, that trailer really have heart, beyond showing a game that feels awesome.

In comparation, Declassified trailer was like “ey, its Cod on the go. You will probably buy it because this is Cod for your new console, so this its what you find. Its Cod! For Vita! Its cool eh? Eh Eh Eh?”. And you are like “Well, yes, cool, but… What new? Why those visuals feels cut? What are you trying to tell me beyond “just buy it because its a new Cod”????”

MW and Black Ops marketing campaigns at least have something to tell the players. Damn, even iOS games have something to offer. But this one feels so weird…

7. DrDamn

“Vita was build to have on the go those Big consoles experience.”

Within the limitations of a hand held small screen device though. This is more about quality of control and visuals than content. You can’t always reproduce the same experience and every game design needs to be re-evaluated based on the end device too. I think they’ve done a great – and misunderstood – job of this with the majority of titles. If you adapt and change the formula to make it more appropriate to a hand held device then you create something different and that’s a good thing. That’s what Vita needs.

I haven’t bought UC on Vita, despite being a big fan of the series. As a game type it just doesn’t sit well when compared to playing on a big screen TV. That’s my preference though. I understand where you are coming from and agree I don’t think this is going to meet your requirements.

8. doa766

thanks for saving my money too, I can deal with a half assed MP mode when the game has a good SP, but not the other way around, getting AC Liberation instead